I keep waiting for Kaleb Joseph to shake off what ever is stopping him from playing like what the c | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I keep waiting for Kaleb Joseph to shake off what ever is stopping him from playing like what the c

Sadly, this is as much of an indictment of the coaches' fundamental skill development program as it is a knock on Kaleb. There are numerous drills that the coaches can employ that improve dribbling and passing through providing game-like pressure defense, traps, and so on.

The fact that our players (including two fifth-year seniors) have no idea of how to beat teams that blitz ball screens, can't use their dribbling and passing skills take advantage of teams that apply hard pressure to the ball and/or overplay passing lanes, rarely recognize when defenses cheat screens, and can't exploit teams that switch screens leads me to question what we are drilling in practice.

I am a Coach Boeheim (and his staff) admirer. However, I think constructive questions should always be asked to improve instruction, the learning process and, ultimately, results. What techniques/drills are we using to teach these skills now? How are we employing them? What specific objectives do we have for each drill, and are they communicated clearly to the players? If these strategies aren't working, are there others that can be used that may produce better results?

If it was just a single player that wasn't developing, I'd blame that player. When a program shows the same issues with different players over a number of years, there is something amiss with the teaching.

Excellent points. Although, a player's specific roles, can largely impact one's attention to such details. Additionally, lead guards I would think generally have a different mindset, basketball IQ, etc. which allows their experiences in equipping them to make better decisions. However, moreover, it's significantly different emulating these tactics you mention in a vacuum (practice) vs. applying execution in real live game situations. I have to believe if you see it, certainly JB and company are aware, no disrespect. Some people are able to make good, smart decisions under pressure, many cannot, hence, why most people are not leaders. As others have mentioned here recently, this team really doesn't have a floor general/leader.

You guys probably thought that Boeheim kid from Lyons, NY would never amount to anything.

I didn't think that, because (a) Jim was close to a double figure scorer in his second season at SU, and (b) I was negative 20 years old.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom