I know why the offense looked tired comment bothers me so much | Syracusefan.com

I know why the offense looked tired comment bothers me so much

OttoinGrotto

2023-24 Iggy Award Most 3 Pointers Made
Hi sports fans, I think I saw that horse twitch. Give me a second to take a few whacks.

So putting aside that if the offense really was tired we could have let the clock run down before taking the timeout, there was something else bothering me about Shafer's comment that I finally figured out.

Shafer would never admit to being concerned that his defense looks tired.

It's not in his makeup. He'll ride or die with his defense.

So why is he worried about the offense looking tired? Maybe it is as simple as he needed an excuse to justify a bad decision in his presser.

Or, if I can go arm chair psychologist on this one, maybe he just doesn't have confidence in his offense. Even though they've improved. Even though they had FSU on their heels. Even though at least on that drive, they were in control of both their ability to score and end the half on their terms.

That bothers me. Scooch has been talking about a low ceiling. If this is the way Shafer thinks, it is low ceiling thinking. The best we'll do is be in close games and we'll be subject to some small thing breaking against us. That's been the pattern these three seasons. Even when it has worked out, it's been close and late. We won't beat people soundly because we'll be content we've done enough and can trust our defense.

He has some more chances to show he can get a different result. Time to make the most of them.

Hi sports fans, I think I saw that horse twitch. Give me a second to take a few whacks.

So putting aside that if the offense really was tired we could have let the clock run down before taking the timeout, there was something else bothering me about Shafer's comment that I finally figured out.

Shafer would never admit to being concerned that his defense looks tired.

It's not in his makeup. He'll ride or die with his defense.

So why is he worried about the offense looking tired? Maybe it is as simple as he needed an excuse to justify a bad decision in his presser.

Or, if I can go arm chair psychologist on this one, maybe he just doesn't have confidence in his offense. Even though they've improved. Even though they had FSU on their heels. Even though at least on that drive, they were in control of both their ability to score and end the half on their terms.

That bothers me. Scooch has been talking about a low ceiling. If this is the way Shafer thinks, it is low ceiling thinking. The best we'll do is be in close games and we'll be subject to some small thing breaking against us. That's been the pattern these three seasons. Even when it has worked out, it's been close and late. We won't beat people soundly because we'll be content we've done enough and can trust our defense.

He has some more chances to show he can get a different result. Time to make the most of them.
He has said that he took timeouts before because he thought the defense was gassed. He did it and helped Pitt and UVA.

Offense looks tired,defense looks tired EVEN before the first half is over and yet some think that Will Hicks is the greatest S&C coach in the country.

We were in white jerseys with a roster full of kids from Fla.,Alabama,Georgia and other warm areas,Fla St. was in dark jerseys and we looked tired.....get real. And people here seem to forget that Villanova even pushed us around last year on the line play. We were freaking gassed in our own house that game. We should have been 2-10 last year, not 3-9. I AM NOT HAPPY AT ALL IN THIS DEPT,ARE YOU?

Pool party for the kids this week.

Last edited:
He has said that he took timeouts before because he thought the defense was gassed. He did it and helped Pitt and UVA.
I'm glad to stand corrected.

We both had 5 series each in the First half that went for 5 plays or less and 1 of ours was for the last few seconds of the 1st. half which was for 1 play.

Fla St. had 1 series that went for 10 plays as their longest for the whole game.

Last edited:
Offense looks tired,defense looks tired EVEN before the first half is over and yet some think that Will Hicks is the greatest S&C coach in the country. The guy is 53 years old going on a 77 body that will need a walker in a few years. Hell I am all busted up working in construction and is the same age but I am still in much better shape than that P-5 S&C coach.

We were in white jerseys with a roster full of kids from Fla.,Alabama,Georgia and other warm areas,Fla St. was in dark jerseys and we looked tired...get real. And people here seem to forget that Villanova even pushed us around last year on the line play. We were freaking gassed in our own house that game. We should have been 2-10 last year, not 3-9. I AM NOT HAPPY AT ALL IN THIS DEPT,ARE YOU?

Pool party for the kids this week.
I was gassed just watching the Nova game.

and he couldn't figure out something was up in the Pitt game on the fake punt when the WR came to the other side of the field to call a timeout.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom