I like Bill Raftery as an analyst but he doesn't mesh well in this #1 broadcasting team | Syracusefan.com

I like Bill Raftery as an analyst but he doesn't mesh well in this #1 broadcasting team

Alsacs

Living Legend
Raft is more interested in cracking jokes with every comment. You can tell straight shooter Jim Nantz doesn't care for this style and he prefers Grant Hill's analysis.

Raftery in the #1 chair just sounds out of place. I am not a fan of this team as the top team. Raftery needs a PBP announcer like Sean McDonough, Gus Johnson, Verne Lundquist who want to have fun.

I agree. Nance is stiff and I have no idea what Hill adds other than he went to Duke.

Raftery has morphed into a very annoying caricature. It's gotten to the point that he's like Vitale--more interested in getting his catch phrases in than real credible analysis. It's a shame too because I loved him about five years ago but now he's just hard to listen to.

Ian Eagle is the apparent successor to Nantz eventually.

Nantz is stiff old school like a Bob Costas. He does good with golf but is awful on college hoops as he doesn't do the sport beyondf March Madness. He has improved on NFL PBP and his analyst Phil Simms is so bad he had had to do both roles.

This Raft/Hill/Nantz team is not good.

Verne or Ian Eagle would be better as the lead PBP with these 2 guys.

Raft is more interested in cracking jokes with every comment. You can tell straight shooter Jim Nantz doesn't care for this style and he prefers Grant Hill's analysis.

Raftery in the #1 chair just sounds out of place. I am not a fan of this team as the top team. Raftery needs a PBP announcer like Sean McDonough, Gus Johnson, Verne Lundquist who want to have fun.

Been saying that for years. Raft knows his stuff but every other comment is an attempt at humor.

Ian Eagle is the apparent successor to Nantz eventually.

Nantz is stiff old school like a Bob Costas. He does good with golf but is awful on college hoops as he doesn't do the sport beyondf March Madness. He has improved on NFL PBP and his analyst Phil Simms is so bad he had had to do both roles.

This Raft/Hill/Nantz team is not good.

Verne or Ian Eagle would be better as the lead PBP with these 2 guys.

Ian Eagle and Spanarkel were the best team but for some reason were separated this year.

Raftery has morphed into a very annoying caricature. It's gotten to the point that he's like Vitale--more interested in getting his catch phrases in than real credible analysis. It's a shame too because I loved him about five years ago but now he's just hard to listen to.
I rewatched the Ohio State- Syracuse as well and determined he has a lot of biases if you pay close attention.

I am entertained by him but his quality is going down by the year in my book. He would work as the lead guy with a good PBP but him and Nantz do not mesh at all.

I like Raft, my pet peeve is Nantz, I like him as an announcer, but he doesn't do any college basketball during the season at all, and parachutes in during March and gets to be the number one team.

That Sean McDonough, Jay Bilas, Bill Raftery crew was the best. They each bounced off each other so well and were such a well balanced team. They kept each other centered. Miss that crew and often wonder if what they had, could even be recreated if joined together again.

Nantz and Hill are painfully dull and bring no joy to the game - you need Raftery on that wall! Although I would agree to an extent with some of the criticisms.

Nantz could be reading a prompter for all I know. It feels like it at times.

I mean, Hill just agrees a lot. I guess that's a job.

Ian Eagle and Spanarkel were the best team but for some reason were separated this year.
Spanarkel got upgraded to a top 4 team last year because of Raftery replacing Greg Anthony and Steve Kerr on the top team with Hill.
Raftery was with Verne and CBS replaced Raft on the 2nd team with Spanarkel.
Eagle and Spanarkel are exactly what you want. Funny, serious, informed, and not annoying.

I can't take Raftery making jokes every time and Nantz rejecting them. Raftery likes to bust balls and it seems like Nantz doesn't like it.

I'm waiting for the first 4 person announcing team. Maybe two PBP guys, who rotate every time possession changes?

It's a lot like razors. When Gillette came out with two blades, we were amazed. Then came the Sensor 3 and, bam, mindblown. Now we are at, what, 5 blades?

That Sean McDonough, Jay Bilas, Bill Raftery crew was the best. They each bounced off each other so well and were such a well balanced team. They kept each other centered. Miss that crew and often wonder if what they had could even be recreated if joined together again.

Yes, that trio was great but even in the last few years, Raf was bordering on self-parody.

Nantz and Hill are painfully dull and bring no joy to the game - you need Raftery on that wall! Although I would agree to an extent with some of the criticisms.

Nantz could be reading a prompter for all I know. It feels like it at times.

I mean, Hill just agrees a lot. I guess that's a job.
Tired of G.Hill constantly saying "Coach," as in "Free throws are worth a single point, Coach."

Stop acting like Calvin Hill's polite teenage son and start analyzing like a 7-time NBA All-star.

Raftery was aching to complain about that bad push-off call on Nova late in the half, but Nantz was all over cutting him off to narrate a replay.

Nantz read that with as much skill as a 1st grader.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom