I love the versatility | Syracusefan.com

I love the versatility

Yup. I wish we had a bit more size in the pivot. Coleman isn't going to be a shot blocker, so we won't be able to count on that to help overcome defensive lapses. But we have lots of shot makers, and several guys who can play in various combinations.

Yup. I wish we had a bit more size in the pivot. Coleman isn't going to be a shot blocker, so we won't be able to count on that to help overcome defensive lapses. But we have lots of shot makers, and several guys who can play in various combinations.

Agree. Size at the 5 in the zone is going to be an issue all season. It likely also means we will really need to score a lot more than we have been.

If I knew nothing about this team and looked at the boxscore I know I would be saying
Did they just hit 11 threes without Cooney hitting one?

So nice to see Cooney driving the middle of the lane vs the baseline. Looked like he could have had 3-4 assists today. He starts putting two halves together driving like that he could arguably also be point.

Last edited:
Agree. Size at the 5 in the zone is going to be an issue all season. It likely also means we will really need to score a lot more than we have been.

The good news is that I think we can score more points this season than the previous two. We have guys who are much better shooters than the previous couple of seasons.

If I knew nothing about this team and looked at the boxscore I know I would be saying
Did they just hit 11 threes without Cooney hitting one?

So nice to see Cooney driving the middle of the lane vs the baseline. Looked like he could have had 3-4 assists today. He starts putting two halves together driving like that he could arguably also be point.
5 assists

This is going to be a huge issue at times - the lack of size/depth down low.

Malachi/Lydons first game playing, Robersons first game without Rak. They were just getting their feet wet.
Gbinije played I think 80/20 guard today along with the experience of Cooney/Joseph fully returning backcourt

Backline was way way off in terms of hustle and recovery but I don't think we can read to much into it... yet.

Outside Malchi's first three I think him and Gbinije shot all spot ups. I believe Joseph as well (my coverage missed those). We most likely will hit games where we will be lucky to get 4 or 5 good looking spot ups, and will be forced to shoot off the dribble more.

I think this team could benefit running the backdoor motion 3 drill with everybody playing the point guard and the spot up shooter on both sides of the court.
-It opens space on one side of the court to dribble and pullup (something we didn't have tonight),
-makes a excellent cutback for a baseline dish
-as well as a perimeter isolation drive for guys like Roberson (think sophmore Joseph), Joseph, Gbinije, Howard, Malachi, Cooney when they have a mismatch.
-We have a ton of height when its Gbinije, Malachi and Lydon receiving that pass.
- It gives everyone a chance to work the mismatches.
- Even Dajuan can run it from the elbow with his jumper.
-We went from 1 guy running that curl (Southelrand, Cooney the last 3 years) to as many as can this year.
-Team has the most spot up shooters and most point g/f's of any team in recent history.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom