i think strickland might be close to being good | Syracusefan.com

i think strickland might be close to being good

orangehomer

All American
he seems like kind of a grinder type which can be important at running back. I was sort of rewatching the UConn game, two plays stuck out that were on the same drive late in the game. it was 24-17, and we made a good drive but got to the Yukon end and missed a field goal. first, a TD there would have been huge. second, Strickland was a shoestring tackle away from like a 25+ yard rushing TD, he had the lane and just couldn't quite get there. he also made a catch and almost broke a tackle at the sideline where he had some room. another year and just the fractions stronger maybe he makes those plays. he seems like a legit football player and babers seems to like him so that might be enough.

I also think that re-watching the game, it wasn't as close as the score seemed. we missed field goals and left points off the board.

he seems like kind of a grinder type which can be important at running back. I was sort of rewatching the UConn game, two plays stuck out that were on the same drive late in the game. it was 24-17, and we made a good drive but got to the Yukon end and missed a field goal. first, a TD there would have been huge. second, Strickland was a shoestring tackle away from like a 25+ yard rushing TD, he had the lane and just couldn't quite get there. he also made a catch and almost broke a tackle at the sideline where he had some room. another year and just the fractions stronger maybe he makes those plays. he seems like a legit football player and babers seems to like him so that might be enough.

I also think that re-watching the game, it wasn't as close as the score seemed. we missed field goals and left points off the board.

Agreed. Might have written him off as a RB a touch early. He might just be getting used to the position. Line play and Dungey getting in the right play will help too.

I think we're all forgetting that we're watching him take very different reps so far this year compared to last. Running in the interior is more instinctive and requires much more precision out of a back, decisions have to come faster. Another thing that has hurt the running game is the speed at which the inside zone read is taking place, it's taking a looooong time to execute post snap. As they get more reps at game speed they will improve but there are a ton of moving pieces on what looks like an old school dive and has everyone grumbling.

he is a stud IF there is a ol or they get him short passes. he is not the issue! he has the skills but needs help. need to give him space on short passes and screens, until the ol is better

he is a stud IF there is a ol or they get him short passes. he is not the issue! he has the skills but needs help. need to give him space on short passes and screens, until the ol is better
I agree

He looked great late in the game against UConn. Great conditioning. Good decisions. Didn't get frustrated, took what was given. Lots to like.

Would Fredericks have made those plays?

cobb-would-have-caught-it.jpg

Fredericks is a great inside and off tackle runner but he is riding the bench. Smart to not play him when all we do is run inside.

Maybe there are reasons, like he cant block in the hole when Dungey pulls the ball back on RPO. Has to be something. Maybe he cant grasp the concepts on offense, etc.

Praying Moe and Strick find their way today, with the weather the stronger running team will most likely win and that ain't us.