I watched JB on the sidelines all game - he never screamed or blew up | Syracusefan.com

I watched JB on the sidelines all game - he never screamed or blew up

Brian Orange

2nd String
I think that tells you all you need to know about who and what this team is at this point. I think he knows what he's got right now and it's going to be a long process for the season.

Maybe the TV cameras caught him blowing up at some point but from my vantage point inside I never saw it. Just thought it was pretty interesting.

I can see this year playing out very similar to UNC last year.

I agree. He was very calm and patient in his approach to the kids. I agree that he realizes this will be a process that there's no quick fix for. He sees pieces and also realizes there are missing pieces. Should be an interesting season.

with much potential more is expected, this team didnt have potential last night, but hopefully will find some.

On TV he just looked pissed but passive. Assistant coaches were shown throught the game. I never saw any of them talk to or even address any player. They looked like wax figures.

GoHamSU said:
I can see this year playing out very similar to UNC last year.
I thought The exact same thing last night

What's he supposed to do? Rant and rave like Tom Crean or that jackass Jamie Dixon the entire game?

Realization set in around the 12 minute mark--when we made a push to cut the score to 11 or 12, only to have them stretch it right back out to 18. JB has been there before, and he carries himself as such.

The only time I saw JB get animated with the players was when they were slow getting back on defense and Cal has a layup. He was talking to Joseph whenever he came out of the game. At one point when Joseph came out of the game JB told BJ to move so that Joseph could sit next to him on the bench.

I think that tells you all you need to know about who and what this team is at this point. I think he knows what he's got right now and it's going to be a long process for the season.

Maybe the TV cameras caught him blowing up at some point but from my vantage point inside I never saw it. Just thought it was pretty interesting.
I think JB knows he doesn't have the same type of talent out there this year and that it's going to be a struggle except for games against the cupcakes.

I think JB knows he doesn't have the same type of talent out there this year and that it's going to be a struggle except for games against the cupcakes.

I don't know--this team has more potential than many seem to believe [not surprising, given last night's performance], but sometimes it just isn't your night. Acting like a lunatic on the sidelines isn't going to change that.

I don't know--this team has more potential than many seem to believe [not surprising, given last night's performance], but sometimes it just isn't your night. Acting like a lunatic on the sidelines isn't going to change that.

I totally agree. Incidentally, me acting like a lunatic in my living room seemed to have very little effect also.

I totally agree. Incidentally, me acting like a lunatic in my living room seemed to have very little effect also.

It does make my wife wonder why the hell she is with me and I really don't need her thinking that through. :bat:

I was actually quite calm last night no real yelling.

It does make my wife wonder why the hell she is with me and I really don't need her thinking that through. :bat:

Same here. Tonight will be telling as to how they bounce back. But I'm more watching it like a science experiment, not a crazed fan needing them to win (at least for now).

Same here. Tonight will be telling as to how they bounce back. But I'm more watching it like a science experiment, not a crazed fan needing them to win (at least for now).

I'm pretty much more in the watch, observe and cheer for the good stuff mode right now.

Actually I was pretty calm too. I knew this was a possibility with so much inexperience. Plus I'm an Iowa fan also due to family (But don't worry - I'm all orange tonight). So after Iowa's offensive performance, I was pretty much resigned to the fact it wasn't meant to be last night.

he blew up early at BJ for a horrible/quick shot. after that my face was covered by my hands most of the game so didn't see much else.

BJ was a triple face palm last night. KJ not far behind. Roberson was out in left field, but we needed a right fielder!

He absolutely exploded on BJ Johnson for an absurd forced 3 pointer with a guy in his face in front of the Cal bench (1st half). Play went to a timeout right after that so nobody saw the immediate hook, but BJ didn't get back into the game until garbage time.

JB was JB until sometime in the 2nd half as the mistakes and misses piled up, he realized no amount of going ape shyt was going to change the outcome of the game. He stopped and let them play it out.

Last edited:
FWIW, sat behind the Iowa bench in the first game and watched Fran McCaffrey go absolutely ballistic on his team as Texas was taking control in second half.

The type of screaming rage that JB probably is not even capable of any more.

Texas continued to pummel the Hawkeyes.

McCaffrey just stewed the rest of the way and you could see him thinking "we've got a lot of work to do."

Rage only goes so far. Especially when the opponent is flat out better.

FWIW, sat behind the Iowa bench in the first game and watched Fran McCaffrey go absolutely ballistic on his team as Texas was taking control in second half.

The type of screaming rage that JB probably is not even capable of any more.

Texas continued to pummel the Hawkeyes.

McCaffrey just stewed the rest of the way and you could see him thinking "we've got a lot of work to do."

Rage only goes so far. Especially when the opponent is flat out better.

McCaffrey is known for his temper. He's had a few notorious outbursts since he's been at Iowa. The one time that he slammed the clipboard on the court at Michigan State during a huddle - which I think was overblown. And then he got ejected from a game in Wisconsin after he blew up. Wisconsin was already gaining momentum and cutting into an Iowa lead that they had held the entire game, but that pretty much killed any chance Iowa had of holding on in that game. That being said, I think he is a pretty solid coach.

He realizes, this team is going to take time. Time to get better.

In some ways this loss was much easier to take then the one last year when we were undefeated. Last year the pressure built up for me. Now I am relaxed. It is a "nothing to lose" type of season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom