I will say one thing and one thing... | Syracusefan.com

I will say one thing and one thing...

tep624

Living Legend
only about today's game. And I am not going to speak about it again.

Kids played hard and didn't quit, and I give them a lot of credit for that. If Shafer continues to make decisions like he did at the end of the first half (and I couldn't care less whether it would have helped the outcome of the game or not), he is going to make it very difficult for Coyle to retain him. I'm sure it's been discussed on the board already because i just logged on, but the management of the clock, use of timeouts, and the squib kick may be one of the worst coaching decisions sequences I've seen. And I lived through 4 years of Grob. He's a third year HC - this is completely unacceptable.

There. Rant over.

Last edited:
After the squib kick, the Seminoles had 56 sec. and excellent field position. I told my wife "watch them score". We need a game manager. One with proven success.

Kids played hard and didn't quit, and I give them a lot of credit for that. If Shafer continues to make decisions like he did at the end of the first half (and I could care less whether it would have helped the outcome of the game or not), he is going to make it very difficult for Coyle to retain him. I'm sure it's been discussed on the board already because i just logged on, but the management of the clock, use of timeouts, and the squib kick may be one of the worst coaching decisions sequences I've seen. And I lived through 4 years of Grob. He's a third year HC - this is completely unacceptable.

There. Rant over.
Nailed it

After the squib kick, the Seminoles had 56 sec. and excellent field position. I told my wife "watch them score". We need a game manager. One with proven success.
Shafer said it was the kickers fault.

Nailed it

Thing is I don't want to nail it. I really want to see Shafer succeed. But it's just not going to happen doing things like that, game after game. This was by far the worst. But there were head scratchers in each of the last 2 games. He can't keep doing this stuff.

While we haven't landed any big name recruiting in quite a long time, do kids cite SS as reasons why they come to SU?

While we haven't landed any big name recruiting in quite a long time, do kids cite SS as reasons why they come to SU?
the family atmosphere created among the team which i thi nk includes Shafer

Thing is I don't want to nail it. I really want to see Shafer succeed. But it's just not going to happen doing things like that, game after game. This was by far the worst. But there were head scratchers in each of the last 2 games. He can't keep doing this stuff.
I totally agree with you

As disappointed as todays game was, especially the clock management, you are either blind or naive if you don't see that the team is improving its just really young which is why the team has played much better at home than away. I get the frustration over the losing as we are all frustrated and that some don't think Coach Shafer is the right man to turn the program around. Clock management issues are true and he needs to continue to work on this or hire someone to help. I think as head coach he has improved since when he first became head coach. We all want the same thing which is get back to winning 8+ every year

Kids played hard and didn't quit, and I give them a lot of credit for that. If Shafer continues to make decisions like Rants are rarely over unot), he is going to make it very difficult for Coyle to retain him. I'm sure it's been discussed on the board already because i just logged on, but the management of the clock, use of timeouts, and the squib kick may be one of the worst coaching decisions sequences I've seen. And I lived through 4 years of Grob. He's a third year HC - this is completely unacceptable.

There. Rant over.

I thought you were stopping with only one thing? ;)

As disappointed as todays game was, especially the clock management, you are either blind or naive if you don't see that the team is improving its just really young which is why the team has played much better at home than away. I get the frustration over the losing as we are all frustrated and that some don't think Coach Shafer is the right man to turn the program around. Clock management issues are true and he needs to continue to work on this or hire someone to help. I think as head coach he has improved since when he first became head coach. We all want the same thing which is get back to winning 8+ every year

The young talent is the reason why you don't see pitchforks and torches right now.

As far as from what I saw today, I don't agree that Shafer's decision making has improved. The decision making today at the end of the first half was the absolute worst I've seen from him.

When Hunt regressed last year, I called it out, when it was fair to do so. There are no sacred cows with me. I give people the benefit of the doubt, often times way beyond the point I should.

They scored a TD after the TO. The kicker failed again , that is all he has to practice .

They scored a TD after the TO. The kicker failed again , that is all he has to practice .

I'm sure we would've scored after the timeout after letting the clock run down a bit too. It's not the timeout that's a problem, it was taking it almost right away. Why? Dumb.

I'm sure we would've scored after the timeout after letting the clock run down a bit too. It's not the timeout that's a problem, it was taking it almost right away. Why? Dumb.
The young offense has had trouble punching the ball against much lesser D's , and settled for FG's a number of times in other games.