Idea for making big money | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Idea for making big money

Our family's first VCR, brought to you by Mr. October, wired remote and all:

il_fullxfull.405432521_995x.jpg

Didn't Lloyd leave after one season? Can't remember why he left. If I recall correctly he only had two years of eligibility when he came to Syracuse.

I agree that his transcript from the junior college he went to (many others went there too), San Jacinto in Texas came into question. It was one of the top junior colleges in the country at the time. Walter Berry(St John's), Boo Harvey(St John's), Moses Scurry (UNLV),Sam Cassell(Fl St), Steve Francis (Maryland) etc went there. It is still open. Besides that game at Manley I remember him having 14 assists in our NCAA tournament game against the Salukis and that he was the starting pg when we played Arkansas in the infamous Moten TO game. He had a very good one year career here but if he had stayed I don't know how much Z Sims would have played his senior year in '96.

Didn't Lloyd leave after one season? Can't remember why he left. If I recall correctly he only had two years of eligibility when he came to Syracuse.

There were questions about his JUCO transcript, based upon distance learning courses he took from a diploma mill.

Too bad--was a fan of Michael Lloyd, but I'm not sure that we would have gotten to the 96 championship game with him at the helm instead of Z [although I suppose he could have shifted to off-guard and played alongside Z, possibly giving us some more scoring pop that what we got from Cippola / Janulis].

Yeah, no fans were allowed at the game. I think they had the game at Manley because they had to deflate the dome roof because there was too much snow on it.
Fascinating. I did not know that. I would have lost 50 bucks.

Yeah, no fans were allowed at the game. I think they had the game at Manley because they had to deflate the dome roof because there was too much snow on it.

Yeah, that rings a bell. Can't find a link, though.

Mike Jarvis was the coach; miss that guy - he was pretty good on television, too.
Seriously? I remember watching a game he did color on a few years ago with my teenage son and we were rolling listening to Jarvis just butcher AO's name. At one point he just kind of mumbled various mispronunciations of it over and over.

Seriously? I remember watching a game he did color on a few years ago with my teenage son and we were rolling listening to Jarvis just butcher AO's name. At one point he just kind of mumbled various mispronunciations of it over and over.

Strong accent, for sure (like Ed Cooley).

Sharp guy, though, and a much better sense of humor than many of those broadcast journalism types. Kind of a Rick Majerus -lite.

Only link I can find is for an exhibition game in 1994, which was before the Michael Lloyd GW game.
http://www.apnewsarchive.com/1994/No-18-Syracuse-88-Puerto-Rico-61/id-eadf44c3e8181230118faf84b04cf756[/quote]

Hey, good find!

I bet I was wrong - that sounds like the game we were thinking of (though if it was open to the public, I'm certain I was there). Winter of '94-'95 had very little snow, so it wouldn't have been during the Lloyd year. And it wasn't during the Final Four year; we played Australia and Marathon or someone else at the Dome in November, as usual.

So Nimbo Hammons and those other nameless George Washington guys are the right answer to the bet.[/quote]

I remember that game. I was in 8th grade. What I don't remember is, why were we playing in Manley, again? Anyone want to refresh my memory on that?

I was there. I will never forget Lloyd making that shot. The place went nuts. The dome is great, but Manley could get so loud. Great time (until we lost in overtime).

No Dome game has ever been as loud as some of the Manley games just because of the type of building.

Loudest game I ever heard at Manley was vs SJU when they had Billy Schaeffer, Ed Searcy and that group. Forget the exact year but they came in ranked #2 in the country and we jumped out to an 18-2 lead. It was so loud when Louie called time out that you couldn't hear any clapping or cheering. All you heard was a loud buzzing noise. SJU caught up and may have even taken the lead at one point but we ended up winning.

Great times.

Sent using my Commodore 64

I remember that game. I was in 8th grade. What I don't remember is, why were we playing in Manley, again? Anyone want to refresh my memory on that?

GW?

Football conflict. Maryland, maybe?

Still not possible. Nobody knew how to actually set the time. That's why all you ever saw was the flashing 12:00.

vcr.jpg
The best thing to do was to put a piece of black electrical tape over the flashing time display. That was to keep it from being so dang distracting while you were watching tv and besides nobody really knew how to program those blasted things anyhooo!

I used to record Syracuse Monday/Wednesday games on VHS in the mid-late 80s. Just program it to start at tipoff and let it go for 6 hours.

After-work sports leagues kept me from watching the games live. Come home after the events (possibly including post-game events) grab some brews and watch the game. Wired remote came in handy to skip commercials.

Not quite as nice as today's HD, not today's DVR program-based recording... but it was all we had in the day and much better than missing the game.

I was blown away that you could watch one show and record another at the same time

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I
I used to record Syracuse Monday/Wednesday games on VHS in the mid-late 80s. Just program it to start at tipoff and let it go for 6 hours.

After-work sports leagues kept me from watching the games live. Come home after the events (possibly including post-game events) grab some brews and watch the game. Wired remote came in handy to skip commercials.

Not quite as nice as today's HD, not today's DVR program-based recording... but it was all we had in the day and much better than missing the game.

Sounds like a number of people used to record the games, but later threw them away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom