Idea to get more students to games | Syracusefan.com

Idea to get more students to games

TrickySU

Walk On
Okay so I've been trying to think of a way to get more students to the games. What about whichever class (freshmen, sophomore, junior, senior) gets the most students to the games gets a "prize." For example, for the entire year whichever class cumulatively gets the most students to the games gets a free ticket to a non-conference basketball game. For the individual games maybe it's something smaller like a pizza party or something to that effect. If this happens, the cumulative attendance throughout the year probably wouldn't be implemented until next year so for the Clemson game whichever class gets the most students, gets the free tickets. Any thoughts? And/or any other ideas of "prizes" or incentives?

Okay so I've been trying to think of a way to get more students to the games. What about whichever class (freshmen, sophomore, junior, senior) gets the most students to the games gets a "prize." For example, for the entire year whichever class cumulatively gets the most students to the games gets a free ticket to a non-conference basketball game. For the individual games maybe it's something smaller like a pizza party or something to that effect. If this happens, the cumulative attendance throughout the year probably wouldn't be implemented until next year so for the Clemson game whichever class gets the most students, gets the free tickets. Any thoughts? And/or any other ideas of "prizes" or incentives?

Not Bad I like it, you would have to go with % of the Enrolled full time class but it makes sense do it for each season though one for football one for basketball (one for lacrosse??) A party or a concert (maybe a (insert big name artist) concert at the dome at the end of each season winning class gets free tickets, everybody else pays.)

Students should need to swipe on the way out to make it count toward the total you have to swipe after the alma mater is played after game is over

In my opinion, if the idea or the prize doesn't involve alcohol, then it's not worth the effort.

Of course, I'm a degenerate, so consider that too.

They did this for singular season ticket holders with all sports including the Olympic sports three years ago, the winner got free student tickets, the other prizes were field passes for a game, an away trip for football/basketball, and after the top 5, the next 100 got a signed poster by Jim Boeheim of the Nova record breaking game. It doesn't get the kids on the fringe, though.

How about the students just go I mean I went to every game for 4 years. The reason the students typically don't go to Football games is the fact most of the games are 12pm. Students don't get up early I remember when me and RobCWhatUp and couple of friends got up ridiculously early to walk from South Campus to the Dome for a game at 12pm that is rare. Nothing is going to boost attendance anymore from the students unless we win more, or we give the students free tickets.

In my opinion, if the idea or the prize doesn't involve alcohol, then it's not worth the effort.

Of course, I'm a degenerate, so consider that too.

I agree. Free cases of beer to any student who shows up to the Clemson game. They would have to build a separate holding area.

Strippers

It's a start. What if the party was for the last home game. Free tailgate party for those winners. Start a winner tshirt with year. The could have a big blow up tv to watch game day and other games depending on time. Shuttle and chance to win tickets to bowl game

So the students had a marginal showing at the last game even though they got free admission! I don't see where kissing their collective asses via a prize (i.e. a friggin' bribe) is going to improve matters. Either you have school/team pride or you don't. Stay dumb, don't come.

2 things.

1. This board is for the most part above 30-somethings unless im wrong. You should email the school about this, unless your thought was to run ideas through us in which case its not a bad idea.

2. Students SHOULDNT have to be bribed,tricked,convinced to go to games. THIS is what gets my blood boiling in the first place.

Alabama has trouble with student attendance. Saban wrote a letter to them. It's not just Syracuse. Granted, that is filling 17,000 seats, but still, it's not just an issue we deal with.

I agree with OttoForLife with offering a credit for going to the full home slate. But it is tough. It's not like these kids grew up addicted to Syracuse football. It's a tough sell.

I think something along the lines of having the players or coaches in to talk to the freshman during freshman forum (do they have that still?) may be something to start to interest students. Maybe having them stop by the dorms.

Also, a student-centered tailgate put on by the student government could be enticing. Maybe have a DJ for that, sell beer, have other athletes show up to be a guest MC.

I agree. Free cases of beer to any student who shows up to the Clemson game. They would have to build a separate holding area.

That's pretty generous. When I was a student they would have had me with 6 pack of Golden Anniversary.

That's pretty generous. When I was a student they would have had me with 6 pack of Golden Anniversary.
Ah...GAB certainly brings back memories.

I would do it for one can of PBR

bigjgoldenanniversary.jpg

Ah...GAB certainly brings back memories.

I would do it for one can of PBR

I'm proud of PBR's comeback. Or maybe it just never had a down cycle. But I see it a lot more now, at bars I typically wouldn't have expected it to be a featured special. I guess we have you to thank?

GAB will never come back. It was so awful. But I was so poor. And dependent.

I always thought SU should send buses to Oswego State. Give them free tickets and a free pizza slice voucher. Make them pay $25+ for the bus. Market to those willing to party and spend money to make friends..aka frats and sorrorities then hopefully itll gain in popularity.
Let them bring beers on the bus and tailgate. Have buses bring them home right after the game and have another bring them home at a later time to let them roam around Marshall Street.

At SU you need to get the Greeks involved. Make a contest for the Greeks on % of members at a game. Does SU scan your ID card upon entry? Then work the Freshmen. We need to build up with the fanbase with the Freshmen.

Problem at SU is has so many international students...no idea how to get them involved unless the each Greek organization is assigned a Dorm and they work on getting the internationals to show. SU could give incentives for the Greek Organizations to work this.

We also have Lemoyne less than a mile from S.U. campus, and OCC 5 minutes from campus. I don't know why SU doesnt pull out ALL the stops. Put flyers out at every freaking school. I dont care if its college or high school. Flyers at every pop warner game with free tickets every now and then. DO whatever the hell it takes. Put a little effort into it besides the NYC area who has proven to not give a damn about anything other than bball games at MSG.

I always thought SU should send buses to Oswego State. Give them free tickets and a free pizza slice voucher. Make them pay $25+ for the bus. Market to those willing to party and spend money to make friends..aka frats and sororities then hopefully itll gain in popularity.
Let them bring beers on the bus and tailgate. Have buses bring them home right after the game and have another bring them home at a later time to let them roam around Marshall Street.

I thought about that...but remember as good as that sounds at best you get 1 bus of 40 for an early kickoff. Oswego State students drink more beer and actually study less than SU students and don't wake up any earlier. There are a ton of Cuse fans at Oswego St. If they could start with one bus and see how it goes...it might work and get up to 2-3 buses for better games. Realistically you need to leave alcohol off the bus...too much liability.

HAs the student attendance at Syracuse games really been that lacking? I've watched every game but haven't really payed attention to the crowds, mostly because it was on my laptop.

I think that could work if student organizations competed to get a real windfall of funding. Get X persons to a game and your organization is entered to win ... winners announced in the 4th Quarter.

The problem is that most people aren't motivated by extrinsic motivations like a pizza party or cash, they're motivated by intrinsic motivations like personal fulfillment, career aspirations, school pride, etc. That is the angle SU has to work. Even if they sponsor pregame parties with food so students can mingle with former players or folks who are just big fans and can talk about their experiences ... that might be worth something to students to make that connection.

Also, there may be a tipping point with this thing. Once "everyone" starts attending the ball will officially be rolling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom