If a penalty even declined stops the clock why don't more defenses commit penalties at the end | Syracusefan.com

If a penalty even declined stops the clock why don't more defenses commit penalties at the end

Alsacs

Living Legend
of more games. I mean Dallas committed a PF 15 yard penalty and it stopped the clock before the 2 minute warning. If penalties stop the clock I would tell my team go offsides and it will give the team 5 yards but will stop the clock.
Dallas got the benefit of 4 TOs by its D committing a penalty.

I had no skin in that game but its a loophole that can be used if committing the penalty won't give the other team a first down to stop the clock.
Mike Pereira ‏@MikePereira
Rule: The clock stops and stays stopped until the snap on all penalties inside of 2 min of 2nd quarter and 5 min of 4th even if declined.

But it will always be 1st down
Not if a team has 1 timeout at the end of games. I would commit a neutral zone infraction and give 5 yards to stop the clock if 5 yards wouldn't give the team a first down.

Bigger question is why did Dallas get the TO back? The penalty happened after the TO.

if the offense commits a penalty the clock doesnt stop why does it for the D? and if you are inside the 10 its not even a 5 yd penalty. the PF is the strange one since it happened after the TO was called. the D was rewarded twice by committing a penalty.

so in theory the offense can commit a delay of game inside of 2 min and outside of 1 min and run and extra 45 off the clock and nothing the D can do

Any penalty under 5 minutes stops the clock. So if the offense commits a penalty they are giving the D a free timeout unless its a false start with under 1 minute in the game which causes a 10 second runoff.