If Hopkins gets a Power Six offer in the offseason, should Jim step aside? | Syracusefan.com

If Hopkins gets a Power Six offer in the offseason, should Jim step aside?

Should Jim step aside for Mike if need be?

• Yes, even forcibly removed by the AD if need be

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Yes, but only on his own accord

Votes: 12 16.9%
  • No, because he's earned to leave when he chooses

Votes: 51 71.8%
  • No, because Hopkins is worth losing

Votes: 4 5.6%

• Total voters

Czar

All Conference
This seems to be the natural conclusion to ask after several threads the past couple days.

Clarifying Post: For the scenario here (since this has already happened before) we're under the assumption Hopkins tells Jim and Gross that he will leave for the offer if he's not promoted.

Then say good bye to Hop. JB shouldn't be forced aside, probably ever, and sure as not at this point. He is still an exceptional coach, who is coaching a top 25 team, and has brought in a top 10 recruiting class next year. The guy is still doing things at a very high level, and there is nothing to suggest he should step aside. Heck there isn't really even much to suggest Hop is going to be able to even remotely pick up where JB leaves off.

On top of that, as I understand it, Hop has committed to be here until JB hangs em up so that he can take over the gig. Now maybe that's not true, but I would bet that even if it isn't, Hop wouldn't try and force JB out. SU fans would hate him from the start if he pulled that power play, it's a terrible idea for Hop to try that type of move.

jb is done after this year is what I am hearing
did you get that from the WVU board...or perhaps MHver3???? No wait Swaim...I for one would like to have our first year of bball court battles in the ACC with JB at the healm...fact is JB is a primary reason 'Cuse gets to play in a Big 5 conference...and his style of play, although very good for the BE presently, will be even better in the finesse ACC...'Cuse will be considered bangers with athleticism!

If you were the AD at another school, why would you hire Hop knowing that he's just going to leave to return to SU?

JB's demeanor both on the court and in the press room, give me the impression that he has seen enough. This will be JB's last year. (in my opinion ;))

I have my sources, when I was at the Georgetown game two different people that are friends with JB, said he doesn't have interest in going to the ACC but the school wants him to stay on through the transition. so we will see

If you were the AD at another school, why would you hire Hop knowing that he's just going to leave to return to SU?
At a small school but what happens if gets a major offer? Would be come back?

At a small school but what happens if gets a major offer? Would be come back?
Absolutely. Kids have been raised here. He knows the program. He knows the recruits. If he left he would be going somewhere thats presumably in shambles so why do it.

Absolutely. Kids have been raised here. He knows the program. He knows the recruits. If he left he would be going somewhere thats presumably in shambles so why do it.
He isn't from here though.

JB built this program and he has earned the right to leave on his terms.
Who knows, Hopkins may not even be a good head coach. Look at what happened to Georgetown when their program was turned over to John Thompson's long time assistant.

Because, being from LA, Hop knows that there is life outside of CNY. I said before if USC coems callign Hop is gone. I'd liek to see JB stay on another couple years if that is what he wants to do. I'm not married to Hop replacing JB like many others. I understand that is the plan and if it happens fine by me. But if not, there are lots of fine college college basketball coaches around. Even some who didn't play or previously coaches at SU. ;)

As many have said here, I am fine with Hop taking over for Boeheim whenever that may be, but I don't see how you could try to force Boeheim out to keep Hop. We all think Hop will be a good head coach, but he hasn't proven anything to this point. Legitimate question, would you rather have Hopkins, or a guy like Shaka Smart take over for Boeheim?

As many have said here, I am fine with Hop taking over for Boeheim whenever that may be, but I don't see how you could try to force Boeheim out to keep Hop. We all think Hop will be a good head coach, but he hasn't proven anything to this point. Legitimate question, would you rather have Hopkins, or a guy like Shaka Smart take over for Boeheim?

I personally think Hop will do well as SU HC, and I hope he stays and then slides into JB's chair. But I would not say "we all" think that. Several people on this board have made it clear that they want a guy with HC experience to replace JB, not a longtime assistant.

I personally think Hop will do well as SU HC, and I hope he stays and then slides into JB's chair. But I would not say "we all" think that. Several people on this board have made it clear that they want a guy with HC experience to replace JB, not a longtime assistant.

I also think it he would do fine as a HC here and would have no issues if he does replace him eventually.

I would however be curious as hell to see who would line up to interview for this job.

Shaka Smart would be my pick over HOPE !!!

JB stays as long as he wants barring a considerable collapse of the program. We are nowhere near that right now. Youdont jettison your HOF coach to keep a guy who is unprven at the HC level. Regardless of how good we believe he can be.

JB has already publicly stated that he is committed to bringing the program into the ACC.

Heck no.

I love Hop. LOVE the guy from when I used to go to practices. Love his enthusiasm, love him on the recruiting trail, and I think [or rather, believe] that he'll make a good head coach if he can adjust from being the players' best friend to being the guy in charge.

But he is an unproven commodity as a head coach. If he chooses to take another job, I'd wish him the best--would never dream of holding anybody back, especially given the type of scratch he'd be able to land at a gig like USC. And who knows--if he succeeds somewhere like USC [hardly a given], maybe he'd elect to come back in a few years to his alma mater.

But even if he doesn't, that would free SU to go after bigger names to succeed JB, and that wouldn't be a bad thing.

Win-win, however it works out.

Heck no.

I love Hop. LOVE the guy from when I used to go to practices. Love his enthusiasm, love him on the recruiting trail, and I think [or rather, believe] that he'll make a good head coach if he can adjust from being the players' best friend to being the guy in charge.

But he is an unproven commodity as a head coach. If he chooses to take another job, I'd wish him the best--would never dream of holding anybody back, especially given the type of scratch he'd be able to land at a gig like USC. And who knows--if he succeeds there [hardly a given], maybe he'd elect to come back in a few years to his alma mater.

But even if he doesn't, that would free SU to go after bigger names to succeed JB, and that wouldn't be a bad thing.

Win-win, however it works out.

But if you're USC, do you hire him knowing that he is the #1 choice to replace JB, so you might only have him for three seasons, tops?

Again, it's amazing what a two game losing streak can do. Can you imagine such a poll being posted last week? A couple fewer turnovers down the stretch vs. Marquette and we'd all be happy campers. And the results speak for themselves.

JB should leave whenever he feels like leaving. I appreciate Hop's patience and all of his valuable contributions to the program. And I wouldn't blame him if he decided to take a big job elsewhere but realistically he is somewhat of an unproven commodity. If the SU job opened up there would be no shortage of proven candidates looking to take that job.

Interesting conversation. I love Hop as well and I remember you talking about him from being at practices RF - which certainly added to my own thoughts about him. If JB steps down does the university truly hand over the reigns if the resume's start coming in ( Shaka, Jay Wright..etc)? I would have to think that naturally there are young coaches who would be salivating at the opportunity to step into a program thats been hot recruiting wise and has so much tradition... Seems like a difficult decision.

i've always maintained that HOP should leave and prove he can build something elsewhere on his own. shouldda been done 10 years ago. i heard something about USC. great. test his wings. he can always return later and with some leverage if he's successful. if not. surfs up dude.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom