If Hunt was healthy... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

If Hunt was healthy...

Hunt might not be quick enough to run option.

And I question whether he has the kind of touch that Dungey has exhibited.

He doesn't--zero doubt in my mind.

But he still might have thrived in this system moreso than McDonald's. We'll never know.

You could make the case Long was better than Hunt last year. Especially throwing the ball. But both got hurt.

Lots of people putting too much hope into Mahoney. He had a nice half vs a good team and is an easy kid to root for. But there is a lot of separation between him and Dungey.
Yes but Mahoney played very good (after getting rid of the nervous jitters) against one of the teams that will be in the BCS Playoff. It isn't like it was UConn. His performance wasn't a fluke. He is a going to be a very serviceable backup. Shafer will get him a scholarship, book it. No offense to Hunt (he seems like a great kid), but he hasn't impressed me since we beat Minnesota in the New Era Bowl two years ago. Too much inconsistency.

He was a freshman which might explain why he was terrible. The Clemson game, are you kidding? 12-27, 82 yards, 0 td, 2 int
I was at the game. Didn't realize he didn't throw at least one td pass.

Yes but Mahoney played very good (after getting rid of the nervous jitters) against one of the teams that will be in the BCS Playoff. It isn't like it was UConn. His performance wasn't a fluke. He is a going to be a very serviceable backup. Shafer will get him a scholarship, book it. No offense to Hunt (he seems like a great kid), but he hasn't impressed me since we beat Minnesota in the New Era Bowl two years ago. Too much inconsistency.
Mahoney also played better after calming down from some positive plays and play calls and also realizing the offensive line changes were giving him more protection. Wwe don't know how Hunt would have done against LSU but with the o-line change I'd bet he would have done pretty well also.

Mahoney also played better after calming down from some positive plays and play calls and also realizing the offensive line changes were giving him more protection. Wwe don't know how Hunt would have done against LSU but with the o-line change I'd bet he would have done pretty well also.
I don't ever remember Hunt ever keeping us in a game against a top 10 opponent. I think we would have lost by three touchdowns if he had started against LSU. I also understand he has had a pot of bad luck with injuries, but his inconsistency is his downfall. I love the kid and wish the best for him, but I'm not convinced. If he decides to return next year then let the competition begin.

orangencpolice said:
I was at the game. Didn't realize he didn't throw at least one td pass.

We didn't even score a touchdown...2 FG

The variable in all of this is Lester. I am convinced we hit a home run getting him into the OC spot. He has demonstrated that (with a week to prepare) he can tweek his system to fit the individual skill set of whichever QB is in there. So I'm not willing to write off Hunt. Or Long. Or anyone. I believe in Lester's system. That said, I believe Dungey has all of the tools. Hunt does not throw as accurately, and is not as fluid. As far as Long is concerned, our offense was such a mess last year, that I think it's almost impossible to know what the kid really can or cannot do. I expect Dungey to be the clear #1 next season. Behind him? No idea.

orangencpolice said:

I'm not dinging the kid. He had a great game. But a healthy Long starts over him and Dungey is the best QB on the roster by a mile.

Some crazy thoughts in this thread. Seriously people question whether we could have beaten Rhode Island? We still beat CMU too. Hunt torched them last year. When Dungey was in he killed CMU with his legs, Hunt's strength.

I would have a lot less hope if Hunt were QB instead. But I don't think our record would have changed.

To me, Hunt seemed bulkier and slower last year than he did the year before. He has never been able to throw the deep ball - or even the ball over the middle - accurately. He reminded me a lot of Perry Patterson after his first year of playing. I feel bad for the young man that he has had back-to-back seasons lost to injury, but to me, it's time to turn the page. I think you have to apply for the 6th year of eligibility for the kid's benefit, but I don't want to see him as our starting QB next season if his waiver is granted.

I just wanted to chime in...while I am not a TH supporter per se, why couldn't he do just as well as two FR QB's? I get he is not as accurate, but he is mobile and can connect on some passes. I do think we get to 3-0 with Hunt, I think we have a great chance to beat LSU with him, don't misunderstand me, I am a fan of ED and love his potential going forward, I just don't want to diminish what Hunt has given to this program. If recruits read this forum, so do current players, I for one have always wished for the best and have to believe Hunt's time in the booth had given him a better understanding of this offense; that two of our Frosh QB's have looked good at running. I am sorry that Hunt got injured, I'm glad that ED is coming back and want to see him develop into what many here feel he will become. I am also glad I got to see Mahoney and what he brings to the table, but when it's all said and done, I believe TH would have knocked the rust off, and would have had his best season this year. While not the most accurate, he would have been able to do enough with his arm, but the running game would have took off. I get a lot of people don't like TH, but don't discount the young man and the work he has put in to come back from injury and his sacrifice for this University, I for one appreciate his service and have sat through much WORSE QB play.
Don't get me wrong either. I love Hunt and he is a great kid. I just think he looked lost again before his awful injury. He possibly could have shaken off the rust.

I'm not dinging the kid. He had a great game. But a healthy Long starts over him and Dungey is the best QB on the roster by a mile.
You're correct...Dungey is the best QB by at least a mile for a number of reasons. He is, by far, the best athlete of the group and has prototypical QB size and arm strength. AJ falls far short (pun intended) in all categories. In fact, I think that Mahoney is a better athlete and has a significantly better arm than Long.

I really like AJ and believe his strengths are more mental than physical. I'm not sure his lack of arm strength is a good fit for Lester's vertical passing game.

Hunt was bad last year, (ran the ball well but his passing stunk), and looked the same in his brief appearance vs. RI. I think he would have played his way out of a job by now. We'd be either 2-2 or 1-3 and LSU would have been bad. (Unless he improved substantially in the last three games, which seems unlikely.) I think he's this decade's Andrew Robinson. Looked good early but regressed, rather than progressed.

Last edited:
Not to poo on the guy, Hunt had two pass attempts this season and is tied for the team lead in picks (1). I really don't know if he could make the throws that Dungey (Bris, Ish) or Mahoney (Bris) made on long TD passes. His accuracy, arm strength, and decision-making have always been suspect.

Granted, 0-2 on the season with a pick is hardly a fair sample size.

2 things... 1. I think dungey surprised the coaches with how well he did. I think they liked what they saw but not enough to start him over a senior. 2. We're not 3-1 with hunt imo. I think 2-2 and LSU would have been bad. That being said I think dungey would have gotten a start anyway over hunt eventually, SS is coaching for his job.

Hunt couldn't make the passes dungey did. I left the scrimmage and said he's a little more accurate but you have seen his ceiling.

I think the jury is still out on dungey but he has obviously a lot more upside. What's going to help him is the team is buying in around him and 3-1 with excitement goes a long way in college football.

Yeah, but what would the record be with Alin Edouard?

While I agree that Dungey is a better all-around QB, I'm a bit shocked that people really believe that Hunt would have done worse against LSU than Mahoney? Gutsy effort, but 16-38 for 154, even with 3 td's isn't some kind of game that is impossible for D1 QB's to match.

Im just glad that we have a stable of good to serviceable quarterbacks who have the potential to step up when needed. Thats a far cry from when we had quarterbacks like Joe Fields, Perry Patterson and Adrien Dantley etc,,,

Im just glad that we have a stable of good to serviceable quarterbacks who have the potential to step up when needed. Thats a far cry from when we had quarterbacks like Joe Fields, Perry Patterson and Adrien Dantley etc,,,

Or Cameron Dantley.

While I agree that Dungey is a better all-around QB, I'm a bit shocked that people really believe that Hunt would have done worse against LSU than Mahoney? Gutsy effort, but 16-38 for 154, even with 3 td's isn't some kind of game that is impossible for D1 QB's to match.

Yes, 16-38, but most were uncatchable worm burners that went for incompletions. Hunt has always tried to force things (see URI, that pass was not tipped that was picked). I don't buy that Hunt would have done much better, or honestly even as well.

I didn't cherry pick anything. Someone said he almost beat Clemson so I pointed out that was a terrible game. he didn't even play louisville

For the year, his qb rating was under 100. That's terrible. He had a terrible year. His offensive coordinator was terrible. The injuries were terrible. But there's no other way to describe a guy who threw twice as many ints as TDs
if longs issue is throwing how do we know how well he will throw once they fix the issue they were working on before he got hurt.

He was a true frosh who needed to redshirt to gain an additional year of physical maturity. That's why he wasn't READY. He wasn't terrible, he wasn't ready.
AJ never would have played last year, but for the injuries. - did his duty. Kid needs a chance with Lester's offense, which seems ideally suited for him.

Quite possible that AJ beats LSU. He would not have wasted the entire first half. Lester's offense is ideal for him.

And to believe there was a 10 page HUNT > NASSIB thread 2 years ago on this board.

That's why it's easiest if you take the discussions on here for entertainment purposes only.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom