If Louisville runs the table the rest of the way could the ACC get 2 playoff teams? | Syracusefan.com

If Louisville runs the table the rest of the way could the ACC get 2 playoff teams?

Alsacs

Living Legend
Right now the Big XII is pretty much eliminated from the CFB playoffs unless West Virginia or Baylor run the table which neither is going to do. I don't think the Big XII champion will have only 1 loss as well. Without a championship game a 1 loss Louisville is likely ahead of a 1 loss Big XII champion.

That leaves the Pac-12, SEC, Big Ten, ACC and Houston fighting for 4 spots.

If Louisville beats Houston in Houston that would leave 4 conferences for 4 spots but the Pac-12 really only has 1 team as well in Washington. If Washington loses games it would leave 3 conferences really in contention unless the CFB committee would pick a 2 loss conference champion over 1 loss Louisville?

Right now though a 1 loss ACC champion is getting in the CFB with how good a season the conference is having.

I actually think the ACC is better than the SEC this year. Alabama is the best team in the nation but the SEC East is really Tennessee and mediocre schools, and the West we still have to see how good Texas A&M, and Arkansas really are.

This season I think we could see a conference get multiple teams in the CFB playoffs unless Houston beats Louisville.

One of Michigan or Louisville will get the 4th playoff spot IMO. Louisville will deserve it more but Michigan has name power.

Good conversation starter. I think its definitely possible. The OSU/Michigan debate is a big one. What happens there, should one win. This eliminates the other from the b10 championship, so are they a one bid league? Wisconsin I would think could sneak back in if they run the table and win that ship. UW runs the table in Pac 12 as you said and they would be in. Louisville handles the rest of their schedule and beats Houston convincingly, I wonder how you'd leave them out, even if Clemson wins the ACC ship.

Right now the Big XII is pretty much eliminated from the CFB playoffs unless West Virginia or Baylor run the table which neither is going to do. I don't think the Big XII champion will have only 1 loss as well. Without a championship game a 1 loss Louisville is likely ahead of a 1 loss Big XII champion.

If Louisville beats Houston in Houston that would leave 4 conferences for 4 spots but the Pac-12 really only has 1 team as well in Washington. If Washington loses games it would leave 3 conferences really in contention unless the CFB committee would pick a 2 loss conference champion over 1 loss Louisville?

Right now though a 1 loss ACC champion is getting in the CFB with how good a season the conference is having.

I actually think the ACC is better than the SEC this year. Alabama is the best team in the nation but the SEC East is really Tennessee and mediocre schools, and the West we still have to see how good Texas A&M, and Arkansas really are.

This season I think we could see a conference get multiple teams in the CFB playoffs unless Houston beats Louisville.
the b1g does if loser of M-OSU finishes with 1 L.

but lville will be right there if they beat Houston, and I think they will.

Very possible that the ACC could get 2 into the playoffs. But what happens if FSU beats Clemson? Louisville plays Houston in November and that game will be huge. Injuries and staying healthy will play a role.

Michigan should get hammered for playing 8 home games and 4 road games if it comes down to Louisville vs. Michigan or Michigan vs. anybody if they go 11-1.

They don't leave the state of Michigan till October 8th that should matter.
I really think Michigan State could pop Michigan at home. I watched that game and Michigan missed 3 FGs but their offense was put in check by Wisconsin D and the Wisconsin QB was awful. If Wisconsin had a more experienced QB I think they would have won with the missed FGs.

Sidebar to this conversation, in a year where cuse is looking for as much money as they can find, with the dome rebuild, etc., perhaps now that we are effectively out of the running ;) we should hope for a 2 ACC bid. Could bump conference payments up into B10 levels.

Very possible that the ACC could get 2 into the playoffs. But what happens if FSU beats Clemson? Louisville plays Houston in November and that game will be huge. Injuries and staying healthy will play a role.
Clemson won on Saturday but they still didn't look that great. I thought the Clemson dominated the Louisville OL and that was the difference in the game.

Florida State this week will tell me if they can beat Clemson. If Miami beats Florida State then Florida State will not beat Clemson. The ACC as whole this year can survive upsets. I think even if Florida State beats Clemson and Clemson runs the rest of the regular and went 12-1 they would make the CFB playoffs as the ACC would get respect this year. If Louisville went 11-1 it would still be in the conservation.

Miami has a shot as well. Home against FSU, UNC & Duke. On the road against ND.

Miami has a shot as well. Home against FSU, UNC & Duke. On the road against ND.

Its seems everyone has forgotten about the undeafeated #10 canes lol maybe lville and miami get in

Michigan would need that loss to Ohio State to be something that happens in the last minute of the game.

If Ohio State beats them by more than 8, and Louisville runs the table, Louisville has them. Lamar Jackson will be bigger than the Michigan name.

A lot of football left to play though. Something crazy will happen, like Bama losing at Arkansas this weekend.

Michigan would need that loss to Ohio State to be something that happens in the last minute of the game.

If Ohio State beats them by more than 8, and Louisville runs the table, Louisville has them. Lamar Jackson will be bigger than the Michigan name.

A lot of football left to play though. Something crazy will happen, like Bama losing at Arkansas this weekend.

I agree that it is too early to call anything. The one thing that I am sure of at this point is chaos moving forward in part because the ACC and the B1G are stronger. Also, can't overlook the Washington Huskies- aka Rain Dogs.

I think Lville would have a great case, wins over Fsu and Houston, and a two point loss at Clemson. The only question is what happens if the Sec some how gets two teams in, Bama and if Ten wins out.

One of Michigan or Louisville will get the 4th playoff spot IMO. Louisville will deserve it more but Michigan has name power.

Im a Michigan fan, but your right Lville would be more deserving. Michigans ooc stinks. The Wisc win looks really good, but lets say they lose a game to Ohio St, they won't have much else on their resume.

Unless a conference champion has 2 or more losses Louisville is not getting in the playoff.

As of now Washington, Bama, Tenn, A&M, Houston, Ohio State and Michigan are in this hunt. Houston has to beat Louisville so to me that is like a playoff game. Bama plays Tenn and Ohio S plays Michigan so just like Louisville it is quite possible that the second place team in a division can have just one loss in the ACC/Big 10/PAC 12 and SEC. Could get interesting but I'm sure things will change.

A&M hosts Tennessee this week.
Alabama hosts A&M next week..
Tennessee hosts Alabama the 3rd Saturday October.

So it is likely Bama will put a loss on each of them and one of Tennessee/A&M will have 2 losses.

I think Washington could lose this week at Oregon. They haven't beaten Oregon in over a decade and Oregon fans enjoy that streak over Washington. Washington barely won at Arizona in OT.

So it is likely Bama will put a loss on each of them and one of Tennessee/A&M will have 2 losses.

I think Washington could lose this week at Oregon. They haven't beaten Oregon in over a decade and Oregon fans enjoy that streak over Washington. Washington barely won at Arizona in OT.
despite the shellacking of stanford, not a fan of Washington either. they may need to run the table.

the @ Utah game could trip them up too.

Michigan should get hammered for playing 8 home games and 4 road games if it comes down to Louisville vs. Michigan or Michigan vs. anybody if they go 11-1.

They don't leave the state of Michigan till October 8th that should matter.
I really think Michigan State could pop Michigan at home. I watched that game and Michigan missed 3 FGs but their offense was put in check by Wisconsin D and the Wisconsin QB was awful. If Wisconsin had a more experienced QB I think they would have won with the missed FGs.
You are right - boy Michigan has a soft schedule. They'll get in though with one loss - watch. Big 10 and SEC run the show.

despite the shellacking of stanford, not a fan of Washington either. they may need to run the table.

The UW Rain Dogs will likely be tripped up because they are a young team right now and the Pac12 is very competitive this season. That said, the Rain Dogs are beginning to play a lot like those Petterson Boise State teams, but with more talent. That probably bodes well for UW.

How about this scenario, Bama beats Ten, Ten runs the table and beats Bama in the Sec title game, does Bama and Ten both get in?

The big discussion today was what if Utah beats UW, and then UW beats Utah to win the Pac 12 championship. Will that extra game and conf championship trump Louisville and/or Michigan?

I still say a lot of crazy is going to happen. FSU won't lay down when Clemson comes to town. Alabama has to run the gauntlet.

The safest bet right now is on the Louisville-Houston winner. Neither team will really be tested outside of that game.

The big discussion today was what if Utah beats UW, and then UW beats Utah to win the Pac 12 championship. Will that extra game and conf championship trump Louisville and/or Michigan?

I still say a lot of crazy is going to happen. FSU won't lay down when Clemson comes to town. Alabama has to run the gauntlet.

The safest bet right now is on the Louisville-Houston winner. Neither team will really be tested outside of that game.
i agree with that.

and to add...for me, any 1 loss P5 conf champ game winner is in over any 1 loss P5 non-conf champ.

that includes the bevo,

i sure everyones ears are still ringing from me beating that drum though.

i also say a 1 loss P5 conf champ should be in over an undefeated group of 5 school.

so in my little scenario here, Houston, would need to beat lullyvil, the bevo would have to stay horrible, the pac would need to shoot itself in the foot and the loser of M-OSU would need to lose again.

or F em, come sit next to me.

very early though...