If Marrone had stayed | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

If Marrone had stayed

St. Doug's career didn't flourish afterwards either. I give him credit for milking his experience getting Sean Payton's coffee for all it was worth.oh my.
Oh my.

The bitterness is palpable

I'm all for bashing the NFL but the Super Bowl is the one sporting event that the matchup doesn't matter when it comes to ratings. That game was lost when gutless St. Doug took a knee with a minute left in the 1st half with timeouts. Tried to turtle his way to the Super Bowl in the second half. Philly won that subsequent Super Bowl with balls to the wall offense (with a backup QB). No play was off the table. No fear.
The pass interference call at the end of the first half when the ball was 10 yards out of bounds gave the Pats a TD and then the fumble return for a TD in the second half that was ruled down against clear video evidence was a 14 point swing. I'm sure you will argue against this because the only goal you have is to hate on Doug.

The only reason I'd be somewhat excited to see Marrone come back is I could pull out my "Viva la Revolucion Anaranjada" shirt (that NunesMagician sold back in the day) from the bottom of my shirt stack and wear it again to a game.

I don't think a second go around would go anywhere near as good as some of the wild optimists here think - but that shirt was cool and I'd like to be able to wear it again.
He’s old fat and likely doesn’t have the energy nor motivation anymore, no thanks. The worst thing about saying that is I also just described myself!

Plus, he’s a paranoid lunatic About social media/the modern era! Hard no

Marrone put the Jacksonville Jags in the AFC championship game with Blake Bortles as the QB and would have made it to the Superbowl but the NFL wanted Brady and the Patriots for the ratings. It is a money making entertainment enterprise after all.

Miles Jack wasn’t down

I agree with much of this.

I thought then and I think now that he made a bad long term decision when he left Syracuse. I felt that in the long run he would eventually earn far more money here and would have a legacy career.

But, when an NFL team calls and a football man is given the chance to be a HC at the highest level, it is tough to turn it down.

I don't think he was being "greedy." I think he was being ambitious in his profession.

His decision to leave Buffalo was undoubtedly influenced by Bill Parcells who felt that the HC should never work for an owner who did not hire him. Doug might have over thought that situation.

The fact is that he was a pretty darn good NFL HC. Heck, he was basically one play away from taking the Jags to a Super Bowl.

I would welcome him back in a heartbeat.

Mack Brown understands NC and has had success the second time around. Schiano understands Rutgers and has once again turned the program around.

If you hire Doug Marrone, you check off a number of boxes: (1) from the NE; (2) understands the Syracuse Football Program - its heritage and its shortcomings; (3) a very good OL coach - crucial in my opinion - and a very good offensive coach; (4) a really strong leader; and (5) has a proven track record of fixing a dormant SU Football Program.

I can't imagine that it will happen but I think it would be a very good decision.
Ambition isn’t a dirty word. I don’t hold anything against Marrone for that. And I 100% wish he had stayed.

He did kind of screw us in the way he left and the timing of it. That was totally done in his best interest and his best interest alone and more or less submarined our recruiting class. I can understand people being ticked off about that.

The dream job stuff and Dougie and St Doug junk is beyond tired and childish though.

I don't know that we would've won a conference championship (that likely means we were top 4 and make a college playoff) but I think he has us consistently winning 7-8 games and has the fanbase complaining he can't get over the hump of winning a conference championship. That sounds pretty good right now. This all assumes he doesn't get fed up with the recruting game and then with all the butt kissing to raise NIL money to recruit/retain players.

Ambition isn’t a dirty word. I don’t hold anything against Marrone for that. And I 100% wish he had stayed.

He did kind of screw us in the way he left and the timing of it. That was totally done in his best interest and his best interest alone and more or less submarined our recruiting class. I can understand people being ticked off about that.

The dream job stuff and Dougie and St Doug junk is beyond tired and childish though.
Ambition is not a dirty word but opportunist and narcissist are pretty derogatory
"Opportunist- a person who exploits circumstances to gain immediate advantage rather than being guided by consistent principles or plans."

And he bought a lot on himself with that miracle worker comment.

Doug can be his own worst enemy. I wish he had stayed but I don’t want him back and I doubt Wildhack wants to deal with him.

Marrone won in the NFL with horrible quarterbacks which is pretty impressive looking back and the Jags and Bills should have appreciated him.

Honestly now that Allen is regressing the best thing the Bills could do is rehire him.

He’s not gonna come back and do the heavy lifting needed to make it work. If we make a hire that turns us around and the teams awesome and loaded with talent and that guy leaves for a better job that’s when you would hire Marrone and it would work out.

...then I think there would have been a dropoff. He was losing too many key principals -- and some really good players -- from that offense, with no real solid replacements on the roster.

I think he capitalized when the iron was hot, and it was a good move.

Not saying that the bottom would have dropped out like it did under Shafer, but the roster wasn't positioned for sustained success.
Marrone towered over Shafer

Ambition is not a dirty word but opportunist and narcissist are pretty derogatory
"Opportunist- a person who exploits circumstances to gain immediate advantage rather than being guided by consistent principles or plans."

And he bought a lot on himself with that miracle worker comment.

Doug can be his own worst enemy. I wish he had stayed but I don’t want him back and I doubt Wildhack wants to deal with him.
They are on good terms. Pretty sure he told him the job is yours if you want it last year.

I think he knew he was losing an NFL QB and an NFL tackle, had no one to replace them with, was a huge azzhole, and got the right offer to go aT the right time. I think his next four years would have been a cycle like the prior.

Loved his offense the last year. He’s a top tier Oline coach. But he couldn’t recruit and that would have doomed him to mediocrity.

If Dougie is selected, he will leave for his dream job with the Little Sisters of the Poor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom