If Shafer were to stay | Syracusefan.com

If Shafer were to stay

GoSU96

Living Legend
I'd like to see the following changes; (King for a day mode)

1. Hire John Reagan from Penn, bring Donovin Darius in as safety coach. I know there are more to the candidate pool than Syracuse alums, but Reagan has had a solid history as OL coach and has OC experience. Can help Lester improve his run game concepts. Has a lot of experience with running out of spread offenses. Recruiting experience in Texas, I'd assign him to OL targets in the NE. Can't losing every battle to BC. I'd think Darius would be a natural recruiting Camden/Philly and Northern Florida/Southern Georgia, and he could bring some innovation into S&C.

2. Let go of Chuck B, Reed, Adam.

3. Reorder the staff as follows:

Shafer - HC
Daoust - DC/DL
Lea - LB
Gregory CB/ST
Darius - S

Lester - OC/QB
Reagan - OL/RGCo
Moreland - TE
Acosta - WR/RC
Smith - RB

Last edited:
Which one of them is the time out coach... the don't punt on 4-2 from the opponents 35 yard line coach

Which one of them is the time out coach... the don't punt on 4-2 from the opponents 35 yard line coach

You really think clock management and 4th down decisions are the major issues with this program?

Those are about 20th on the list.

Are these changes Shafer would make or changes forced upon him?

Legend has it that Beamer was forced to make similar changes in his staff about year 3 or so of his taking the job at VT.

Hey, if I were King...

Wouldn't be the first guy to have direction to make changes to the staff as a condition of continued employment.

1. Hire John Reagan from Penn, bring Donovin Darius in as safety coach. I know there are more to the candidate pool than Syracuse alums, but Reagan has had a solid history as OL coach and has OC experience. Can help Lester improve his run game concepts. Has a lot of experience with running out of spread offenses. Recruiting experience in Texas, I'd assign him to OL targets in the NE. Can't losing every battle to BC. I'd think Darius would be a natural recruiting Camden/Philly and Northern Florida/Southern Georgia, and he could bring some innovation into S&C.

Shafer - HC
Daoust - DC/DL
Lea - LB
Gregory CB/ST
Darius - S

Lester - OC/QB
Reagan - OL/RGCo
Moreland - TE
Acosta - WR/RC
Smith - RB

That's cool with me, but it's going to be hard to hire assistant coaches to come to SU for what may be a one and out situation. If HCSS doesn't turn it around in 2016, the entire staff is out on its arse.

Hey, if I were King...

Wouldn't be the first guy to have direction to make changes to the staff as a condition of continued employment.

No doubt, was just curious.

Honestly, I'm not sure that I'm a fan of the conditions. I tend to think the most effective leaders are the ones who provide resources and support, then let their employees run their part of the business. I would prefer an AD to follow that approach. But that's just me.

Reactions: CIL
Why on earth would any of these guys take a position on Shafers staff knowing that he is on the hot seat and maybe a lame duck? You guys looking for changes to the staff, unless the position coach coming in is jobless at the end of the season, why would they uproot their family to come here for potentially 1 season.

Shafer - HC
Daoust - DC/DL
Lea - LB
Gregory CB/ST
Darius - S

Lester - OC/QB
Reagan - OL/RGCo
Moreland - TE
Acosta - WR/RC
Smith - RB

Good overview. Not sure Darius would come here to coach safeties, but otherwise I would sign up for that.

If there is going to be a change with the coaches, the Cuse needs a complete change and not a piecemeal one.

Great post though!

Why on earth would any of these guys take a position on Shafers staff knowing that he is on the hot seat and maybe a lame duck? You guys looking for changes to the staff, unless the position coach coming in is jobless at the end of the season, why would they uproot their family to come here for potentially 1 season.

There's no career risk for any of them.

1. Gregory is already here as GA

2. Darius has lot going on, https://www.facebook.com/DariusNextLevel/, but maybe he could figure something out. The guy would be a help of an asset beyond being a position coach. He might be very happy doing what's he's doing, but maybe he'd put it aside for a couple of years.

3. Reagan is the OC at Penn, as in Ivy League. I'd hope we could pay more, give him the run game coordinator title and triple his pay.

There's no career risk for any of them.

1. Gregory is already here as GA

2. Darius has lot going on, https://www.facebook.com/DariusNextLevel/, but maybe he could figure something out. The guy would be a help of an asset beyond being a position coach. He might be very happy doing what's he's doing, but maybe he'd put it aside for a couple of years.

3. Reagan is the OC at Penn, as in Ivy League. I'd hope we could pay more, give him the run game coordinator title and triple his pay.

for potentially 1 season? If the team stinks, then there resume is damaged, no?

That's cool with me, but it's going to be hard to hire assistant coaches to come to SU for what may be a one and out situation. If HCSS doesn't turn it around in 2016, the entire staff is out on its arse.

Are we still getting the discounted rate at Mitch Browning's extended stay hotel?

He was at the Econo Lodge down on James St, right?

for potentially 1 season? If the team stinks, then there resume is damaged, no?

Gregory is already here, Darius can go back to his foundation and training school if he wants, and Reagan has bounced around and never had problem finding a job.

It's no risk to any of them.