If the Big XII were smart (they aren't though) | Syracusefan.com

If the Big XII were smart (they aren't though)

Alsacs

Living Legend
They go to BYU and one of Boise State/San Diego State/UNLV/whomever and offer them football only membership.

BYU's Sunday situation becomes a non-factor and they remain in the WCC for all other Olympic sports.

One of Boise State/San Diego State park their Olympic Sports in the Big West like they would have for the Big East.

Just have 8 of the 10 Big 12 teams play the two teams in non-conference basketball games 4 teams each school, you get you get your conference title football game.

Or offer BYU football only and Cincinnati and just have an 11 team basketball league.

I bet BYU would take Football only as a compromise on the Sunday no play thing.

I'm sure there are some in that conference who believe they could get Nebraska back and add one other school. Bowlsby has his work cut for him in trying to balance what Texas wants versus the rest of the league...and it doesn't appear that he's the right guy to make it work out.

If I was to guess I think they will jump on Cincy/Memphis

not a bad cheaper alternative, but the football $$ is still being split 12 ways.

with memphis, they would strengthen the hoop side (please people, dont try and tell me football drives the bus...blah blah blah, things are different now. got to think macro) and its a solid land grab for them.

Yup the Big XII could give BYU and UC a half share of the payout and both schools would see a revenue increase. And, having a CCG would add in $10+ million into the conference's cash pool alone, plus BYU is worth at least $8 million (that's the value of their TV deal right now) and UC is worth at least $2 million (that's the value of their TV deal right now). So, worst case scenario, the Big XII breaks even, and gives their champ an extra game to beef up their F4 resume.

not a bad cheaper alternative, but the football $$ is still being split 12 ways.

with memphis, they would strengthen the hoop side (please people, dont try and tell me football drives the bus...blah blah blah, things are different now. got to think macro) and its a solid land grab for them.
FB games at Memphis have to be what hurt them. This expansion doesn't hurt the Big XII bottom line as I am sure the Big XII could negotiate FB payouts for Boise State/BYU on par with what they could get for a Big XII title game at JerryWorld.

FB games at Memphis have to be what hurt them. This expansion doesn't hurt the Big XII bottom line as I am sure the Big XII could negotiate FB payouts for Boise State/BYU on par with what they could get for a Big XII title game at JerryWorld.
got to be.

but theyre going to have just hold their nose in austin for that roadie 1x every 4 years, go see Elvis, get drunk on Beale St...and drill the tigers.

im sure jerryworld would love to have em...

got to be.

but theyre going to have just hold their nose in austin for that roadie 1x every 4 years, go see Elvis, get drunk on Beale St...and drill the tigers.

im sure jerryworld would love to have em...
Yeah that is good sales job for Memphis. I don't think its a bad choice either. If the Big XII doesn't want all-sports members they have the Boise State/BYU option, but Cincinnati/Memphis or BYU make sense.

I'd offer in order:

BYU
UCF
Cinci

If BYU declines, you're in the talent rich Florida recruiting market and in Cinci have a travel partner for WVU. Was going to list more but 2 and 3 should say yes before the ink is dry on the offer.

Have to try the waiver first. Why split 12 ways if you don't have to. That rule needs a pioneer to push and push until they can get it removed. Texas has to have enough influential people to make it happen.

Conf championship game can either be on campus, and help the top seed get in. Or I'm sure Jerry World wouldn't mind hosting it. 6 of the 10 schools can get there in about 4 hours or less.

Have to try the waiver first. Why split 12 ways if you don't have to. That rule needs a pioneer to push and push until they can get it removed. Texas has to have enough influential people to make it happen.

Conf championship game can either be on campus, and help the top seed get in. Or I'm sure Jerry World wouldn't mind hosting it. 6 of the 10 schools can get there in about 4 hours or less.

Why not just offer half shares instead of full shares to the schools being offered?

SD State is a solid choice as I'm a big believer in getting into the A: Fertile recruiting states which California/Florida are and B: Where the population is trending to which again is, California and Florida. Boise and BYU are solid football programs but are in Idaho and Utah. This is why I firmly believe the ACC will be strong now and more so in the future. Cincy and Memphis would be solid choices as well.

Still hope the ACC talks to Texas and ND about full time status.

dinosaurbbq said:
Why not just offer half shares instead of full shares to the schools being offered?

Why not offer them zero shares by not adding them?

I'd exhaust resources on getting the waiver or getting the rule thrown out together before adding people, giving them anything and potentially changing our revenue distribution plan.

I'm sure the Big 12 will try to talk to FSU, Clemson, Arkansas, LSU, and Nebraska... before settling with Cincy and UCF.

While Texas and Oklahoma are longingly looking at the PAC 12 and B1G and what might have been.

I'd exhaust resources on getting the waiver or getting the rule thrown out together before adding people, giving them anything and potentially changing our revenue distribution plan.
The ACC & B1G would be sure to support that position.;)

Why would the other P4 conferences which have expanded allow the Big XII to have a waiver to play its CCG with 10 members. They aren't likely to want to help the Big XII at all and if this uproar causes division within the conference good for the Pac-12, SEC, ACC, B1g which can carve up the Big XII assets.

Oklahoma, Oklahoma State already applied to the Pac-12 in 2010 and were declined. The Big XII will have to add football schools for a title game. They could add full members with two of Cincinnati/BYU/UCF/Memphis or go after football only members in Boise State/San Diego State/UNLV/BYU.

This waiver isn't going to happen and you know that.

Why would the other P4 conferences which have expanded allow the Big XII to have a waiver to play its CCG with 10 members. They aren't likely to want to help the Big XII at all and if this uproar causes division within the conference good for the Pac-12, SEC, ACC, B1g which can carve up the Big XII assets.

Oklahoma, Oklahoma State already applied to the Pac-12 in 2010 and were declined. The Big XII will have to add football schools for a title game. They could add full members with two of Cincinnati/BYU/UCF/Memphis or go after football only members in Boise State/San Diego State/UNLV/BYU.

How do I know that? I think they should try again, because the rule is stupid and lazy and never really had any good reasoning to be in place for FBS.

The other leagues with 14 teams can use any waiver or elimination of the rule to then create their own format for their league. Isn't that a good thing? The ACC, B1G, SEC didn't add 2 more teams for CCG purposes. They already had one.

Does the ACC, B1G, SEC want to be forced to keep their 7 team divisions with all the b!tching that goes on about who plays who, all because they don't want the Big 12 to only split their pot 10 ways?

Who makes the decision on the waiver anyway?

exactly, you have 3 of the P5 with 14 members and their pot smokin brother on the west coast at 12, who could be told tomorrow to go to 14 and theyd do it (byu & colorado st, doesnt the PAC do everything in 2s? What are they waiting for??) so theres no way in hell they let the bevo get their way with 10.

the champ 4 are still smoking cigars and drinking whiskey over them being left out of the F4 because of the no champ game...no way.

im telling ya, if the bevo wants byu, they better do it quick.

If they were smart they wouldn't touch Boise, SDU, or unlv with a 10 foot pole.

exactly, you have 3 of the P5 with 14 members and their pot smokin brother on the west coast at 12, who could be told tomorrow to go to 14 and theyd do it (byu & colorado st, doesnt the PAC do everything in 2s? What are they waiting for??) so theres no way in hell they let the bevo get their way with 10.

the champ 4 are still smoking cigars and drinking whiskey over them being left out of the F4 because of the no champ game...no way.

im telling ya, if the bevo wants byu, they better do it quick.

Yeah, but again, why did they go to 14? It had nothing to do with a Conf Championship Game. All 3 of those leagues already had one.

I'm not sure what power the other leagues have over the stupid rule anyway or who even governs it (the NCAA I guess?).

If the other leagues want scheduling flexibility, then the only way to do it is to get the stupid rule abolished. If they don't care about scheduling flexibility, then sure, scream about Big 12's ten teams to whoever will listen.

If they were smart they wouldn't touch Boise, SDU, or unlv with a 10 foot pole.
How would Boise State/BYU as FB only members hurt the Big XII? They would be able to have a CCG and not have it affect their other sports?

Yeah, but again, why did they go to 14? It had nothing to do with a Conf Championship Game. All 3 of those leagues already had one.

I'm not sure what power the other leagues have over the stupid rule anyway or who even governs it (the NCAA I guess?).

If the other leagues want scheduling flexibility, then the only way to do it is to get the stupid rule abolished. If they don't care about scheduling flexibility, then sure, scream about Big 12's ten teams to whoever will listen.
Allowing 3+5+5 is not the same thing as allowing a CCG game at 10 members.
The ACC after it got VPI and UM in tried to petition for a CCG with 11 members the NCAA said no. That is why the ACC came back and took BC.

Jim Delany, new SEC Commissioner, John Swofford are not going to help the Big XII out. If 4 x 16 is to eventually happen then 1 conference has to lose. The Big XII is the most vulnerable thus just like the jungle the weak are the easiest pray you don't help them.

Oklahoma/Kansas to B1G, Oklahoma State/Kansas State to the SEC, Texas to Independence with ND deal w/ACC or with TX schools to the Pac-12.
WVU praying for ACC w/ND as a full member.

How would Boise State/BYU as FB only members hurt the Big XII? They would be able to have a CCG and not have it affect their other sports?

They'd be better off with BYU/Colorado state. But Cincy would be the best #2 since they add market, recruits and travel partner for existing member.

The far west coast schools. Idk, better off going to Florida IMHO

Boise adds zilch

hey i think 14 is dumb, but its the only way we got in so...but yeah, thats why im fine with 12.

otherwise, id rather have everybody go back to 10 (hello penn st)...

but since thats not happening, im arbitrarily putting the floor at 12.

10 would be so awesome though. everyone plays everyone, then you use the NFL tiebreaker system to get a top 2 who play for the Championship.