if things dont improve | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

if things dont improve

As for any moral qualms, cut the crap. Did you see how disgraceful this team behaved when it managed to make a tackle while it was down by five touchdowns? They really showed great discipline, really hard-nosed.

Yeah, show boating is the same thing as lying to the NCAA. Tressel got into trouble because of infractions that he LIED about.

I'll take Shafer and Marrone's ethics over that guys any day of the week.

That's right. If we are 2-10 (which could, not will, happen) he should be gone, which is not unreasonable. You think any real program would put up with that crap?

Frank Beamer's first two seasons at VT:
1987Virginia Tech2–9
1988Virginia Tech3–8

Dick MacPherson's first two seasons at SU:
1981Syracuse4–6–1
1982Syracuse2–9

Art Briles first two seasons at Baylor:
2008Baylor4–82–6T–5th (South)
2009Baylor4–81–7

Jim Harbaugh's first two seasons at Stanford:
2007Stanford4–83–6T–7th
2008Stanford5–7

I hope Gross has the stomach to boot Shafer, if need be. But I find it doubtful. We like running this program on the cheap and Shafer allows us to do that.

If we don't win another game all season, which is possible, I hope we waste no time in getting rid of Shafer. There's a proven coach working in Akron who we should be taking a good look at; we'll never get his level of quality cheaper.

In the interest of full disclosure...

What year did you graduate from Syracuse University?

How long have you been a season ticket holder?

How much money do you contribute annually to the University / Orange Club / Football program?

Does Tressel have naked pictures of you that he's threatened to post on the internet?

Thought Reed was the weak link to the equation when he was hired. Didn't seem like the right fit. And his resume is not all that great to be honest.

Thought Reed was the weak link to the equation when he was hired. Didn't seem like the right fit. And his resume is not all that great to be honest.
Maybe and maybe not - he has not had much to work with back there.

Anybody that wants to hire Tressel has to show cause to the NCAA. That is another way of saying if you are thinking of hiring him we will make your life miserable until to are dissuaded of the idea. People just don't get it - he is effectively banned for life for lying to the NCAA.

As for Bowden, please, I would rather stick pins in my eyes.

It is 5 games in and we are on Shafer's case? This is absurd. He inherits a program that has just:
  1. had its recruiting class destroyed
  2. lost what - 6 of its asst. coaches?
  3. lost an NFL 1st round tackle and a 3 year starter at QB. the school's record holder for receptions (also now NFL), a great safety (also now NFL) and another lineman to the NFL.
  4. Opened up against PSU, NW and Clemson in the first 5 games
Give it a rest.

Shafer had to hustle to assemble a staff and we are questing that he went to guys he knew? Absurd.

These guys saved the recruiting class and avoided a real disaster.

Remember this - THESE ARE NOT SHAFER'S PLAYERS THEY ARE HIS PREDECESSORS. No coach should be judged until he has had a chance to play with players he recruited.

Already he has shown a refreshing aggressiveness that his predecessor never had.

He has given developmental PT to more underclassmen that I ever remember his predecessor doing.

His special teams are better.

He actually called a fake punt.

He benched Allen, which shows flexibility and an open mind.

This is our guy and we are going to give him a fair chance to succeed and all this juvenile instant gratification nonsense will not deter the grown ups from doing so.

I suggest syracuse.com if you want to say stupid things.

As for the schedule he's faced, that was unfortunate and completely the fault of the sadists running the athletic department.

I also agree with you on the merit of some of Shafer's aggressive calls. However, the D was overly aggressive in the Clemson game and we got burned for it.

As for needing "instant gratification," I find it absurd that anyone could accuse any Syracuse football fan of being needy of such after the more-than-a-decade of s__t they've endured.

Regarding Tressel's NCAA issues, this program can't fill its stadium and hasn't even been ranked for 12 years, what do we have to lose at this point? We've been to rock bottom, roll the dice.

And remember this is a thread for if things don't improve, which we're all hoping they do. I just hope that if we find ourselves in another Grob-esque situation the AD is quicker to ditch the coach this time.

"Regarding Tressel's NCAA issues, this program can't fill its stadium and hasn't even been ranked for 12 years, what do we have to lose at this point? We've been to rock bottom, roll the dice."

You need to read up on the NCAA ruling. They basically won't let anyone hire him. It really is a closed issue.

He can be hired, but just needs to sit out the first five games of his first season and that season's bowl game. It's a bargain. With the way we schedule, we'd probably lose most of our first 5 games anyway.

The NCAA is the weakest they've ever been, we could get this done.

So we are burying a guy who lost 3 games to teams with more talent? I mean seriously. We were beaten by 3 teams who SHOULD HAVE BEAT US. You cant argue that. If anyone here thought we would play Clemson within 2 scores then you need to check in the mental facility immediately. I took NOTHING away from that game. We were going to get killed regardless of the hopes and dreams and cries from the rooftops about "remember Louisville and West Virginia". No way were we winning that game.

We are a 5-7 or a 6-6 team at best this season seeing who we lost from last years team. All of the head pounding, chest thumping, lock them inside the dome and throw away the key speeches are great but in the end ALL THAT MATTERS is talent. Get better talent, speed, etc and we wont be having these discussions.

This is what our program has become whether or not people want to believe it or not. We will never be where we were 20-25 years ago. Never. College football has changed so much since the "glory" days. I've accepted it and hope that once a decade we MAY get that 9-2 dream season where we play in a BCS game.

Good post. I think many people are overrating the talent on this team. As mentioned above, a program like Syracuse will struggle from losing guys like Pugh, Nassib, Headache, etc. We aren't Clemson or Alabama. Many posters thought Northwestern had equal or worse talent than SU. That is completely incorrect. Just watching the game one could see their physicality and speed advantage. They also have continuity in their coaching staff which is huge. They really competed with OSU.

Hopefully it won't get too bad this year. Better talent is coming in and the coaches will hopefully get it figured out with better players. I personally thought this year would be a huge struggle in the ACC. We'll see where we are I suppose vs NC St/Maryland. Next year I expect SU be way more competitive.

We are 2-3, which isn't good. However, we have lost to a legitimate national championship contender and another legitimate top 15-20 team for two of those losses.

And there are some people calling for sweeping changes in the coaching staff already, despite the fact that this is the first season for the head coach, OC, DC, and virtually every other spot on the coaching staff.

Don't get me wrong, I want to see improvement in a hurry, and I'll be willing to change my tune if we don't beat the teams we should be the rest of the way. But let's get real here, people. Did anyone honestly expect to be 4-1 at this point? 3-2 could have happened but we started the wrong quarterback and were breaking in a new system at the exact same time, and our previous coach left the cupboard bare in terms of receiver talent. That's not easy to overcome.

To the people thinking Shafer is already on the hot seat: take a breath. Maybe sit the next few plays out.

He can be hired, but just needs to sit out the first five games of his first season and that season's bowl game. It's a bargain. Wow, awesome.

With the way we schedule, we'd probably lose most of our first 5 games anyway. You are a great fan.

We lost to the #3 team in the country. Other teams will too. Cut the hysterics.

- A Real Syracuse Realist

I find some posters' hatred for Tressel on this board to be absurd. He helped cover-up very minor violations (particularly in comparison to what has happened at Miami, PSU, Okla.-St. and TA&M) of a bu____it organization's rules. If the OSU scandal breaks today it wouldn't even register with the public considering the misbehavior of other schools. In fact the NCAA probably wouldn't even be able to go after him considering they simply don't have the juice to punish the big schools anymore.

The guy is a proven winner at two programs. He could likely turn us around in a hurry.

As for any moral qualms, cut the crap. Did you see how disgraceful this team behaved when it managed to make a tackle while it was down by five touchdowns? They really showed great discipline, really hard-nosed.

Tressel's show cause is up in 2016. If Schafer and Co fail then that seems like the year we would give him the boot assuming a Grob 4 year rope. Hiring Tressel isn't out of the question, however it is so premature right now...it's not even a sperm cell yet. Let's just worry about what this staff needs to do make things better before we start talking about a change. We didn't lose to Wagner, we didn't lose to Tulane, the sky is not falling.

he's got no ties to the DB coach.

Good to know. That's where I'd start. No excuses.

He's also really got to try and tone it down as well on the sideline. At the end of the day I get that's who he is, but I really feel like it's carrying over to the kids with the excessive celebrations silly dancing etc. He's a HC now and needs to start acting like one on game days. I want this guy to succeed in the worse of ways.

This is a ridiculous thread. Some of you must have never made any mistakes in your careers given the cavalier attitude you take to other people's jobs.

We lost to the #3 team in the country. Other teams will too. Cut the hysterics.

- A Real Syracuse Realist
Losing wasn't my issue, 3 play drives without forceing a second down was.

We are 2-3, which isn't good. However, we have lost to a legitimate national championship contender and another legitimate top 15-20 team for two of those losses.

And there are some people calling for sweeping changes in the coaching staff already, despite the fact that this is the first season for the head coach, OC, DC, and virtually every other spot on the coaching staff.

Don't get me wrong, I want to see improvement in a hurry, and I'll be willing to change my tune if we don't beat the teams we should be the rest of the way. But let's get real here, people. Did anyone honestly expect to be 4-1 at this point? 3-2 could have happened but we started the wrong quarterback and were breaking in a new system at the exact same time, and our previous coach left the cupboard bare in terms of receiver talent. That's not easy to overcome.

To the people thinking Shafer is already on the hot seat: take a breath. Maybe sit the next few plays out.

Add to that, the teams we "should have beat", we destroyed 101 -14. Do you remember the last time SU did that to teams it was supposed to beat?

Akron W (28-14) Maine (41-24)
Akron W(29-3) Maine (38-14) W Colgate (42-7)
Rhode Island W(21-14) Tulane W (37-34) Toledo W (33-30)**Really Though :)
No Real SHOULD Wins except for Temple W(38-20)

He can be hired, but just needs to sit out the first five games of his first season and that season's bowl game. It's a bargain. With the way we schedule, we'd probably lose most of our first 5 games anyway.

The NCAA is the weakest they've ever been, we could get this done.

That is not correct. Tressel has a five-year show cause in effect. If a school wants to hire Tressel before the penalty expires, it must go before the NCAA committee on infractions to argue its case. If they hire him without doing so the school will face sanctions. Tressel has effectively been banned until the 2017 season.

That's correct
That's correct these are Doug Marrones players this staff inherited Lets be honest it's pretty clear that Doug wasn't a great recruiter. Even his biggest supporters have to admit that. In particular he didn't recruit one damn receiver that had talent.
I think this staff has true college coaches that actually fully understand recruiting. I think it will be 2-3 years before we are actually a truly good football team.

Whoever said he was a "great" recruiter. Fact is that the roster is multiples better than when he left. To do that in four years given where they were starting and the facilities they had and the fact that they basically had to start from scratch is pretty damn good. Period.

And what's with acting like this is a bunch of strangers taking over a tanked program. This was an inside the program handoff, and Shafer was on the groundfloor of the rebuild.

You go from attacking anybody who pointed out that the Clemson game was likely to be a blowout to saying that the team has no talent and the prior staff couldn't recruit. On Friday you said you thought this team was better than last year's. What happened?

I think if the knee-jerk reactions don't improve we should get new fans.

I think the more important question is whether or not the coaching staff will make the necessary changes to defense to get better. Primarily stop putting Anderson on the field. We aren't going to do well with him out there you might as well get some of the younger more talented player on the field. Wilkes doesn't think like a FS, he has SS instincts like Philip Thomas did. We need a ball hawker back there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom