If UConn makes a bowl today shows how schedules matter | Syracusefan.com

If UConn makes a bowl today shows how schedules matter

Alsacs

Living Legend
We played horribly and should win have won by 3TDs. Our schedule is insanely hard for the rebuilding mode we are in. If UConn white knuckles to 6 wins and we go 5-7 I would say people should look at reducing the tough nonconference games.

UConn had less talent on their team than we have.

We played horribly and should win have won by 3TDs. Our schedule is insanely hard for the rebuilding mode we are in. If UConn white knuckles to 6 wins and we go 5-7 I would say people should look at reducing the tough nonconference games.

We are basically in the SEC West, 3 built in losses right now. Have to schedule intelligently...

If UConn makes a bowl game this season, we will have more proof that there are way too many bowl games.

Teams who finish 5-7 and go bowling is Exhibit A.

I don't get the schedule complaints. UConn and USF are mediocre teams at best. Colgate's a 3- or 4-loss lower-division team.

Folks on this board overrate our opponents like none other.

We are basically in the SEC West, 3 built in losses right now. Have to schedule intelligently...

For the time being yes. We should be scheduling such that a win over FSU, L'ville or Clemson is a pleasant surprise and not a necessity for bowl eligibility. We have to build this thing and making the postseason is an important part of that regardless of how we do it. Way too little margin for error for a rebuilding program right now.

For the time being yes. We should be scheduling such that a win over FSU, L'ville or Clemson is a pleasant surprise and not a necessity for bowl eligibility. We have to build this thing and making the postseason is an important part of that regardless of how we do it. Way too little margin for error for a rebuilding program right now.
Having another built-in win instead of USF this year would've been HUGE...

Uconn's not sniffing a bowl game.
I dunno. They're 2-1 and their remaining schedule includes Houston (L), Cincy (L), USF (L) UCF, ECU, Temple, BC, and Tulane. Like us, there's not a lot of room for error, but I wouldn't say that winning 4 of their last 5 is implausible. But that's for the Husky fans to worry about. We've got Notre Dame in a week.

Yep. Look at next year, the Big 3 in our division of course plus Miami away. There are also 5 very winnable home games. So what do we do? Schedule LSU. If we lose the 5 brutal games and win the 5 very winnable ones that leaves Pitt at home and NC State away. I would rather have Florida Atlantic deciding if we get 6 wins instead of Pitt or NC State

I dunno. They're 2-1 and their remaining schedule includes Houston (L), Cincy (L), USF (L) UCF, ECU, Temple, BC, and Tulane. Like us, there's not a lot of room for error, but I wouldn't say that winning 4 of their last 5 is implausible. But that's for the Husky fans to worry about. We've got Notre Dame in a week.

They play BC? Hide your children. That's gonna be a helluva ugly mess.

There's something like 40 bowls games, give or take. That's 80 teams.
And 128 FBS teams total.
Not getting in a bowl game should (in theory) be the exception.

They could easily lose to Ecu,Bc, Temple.

The goal early in Dino's tenure should be to beat all the northeast teams we play. Since we won today I'm happy. We've struggled against UConn historically. Today was good any way you look at it. Just beat BC later in the year and were on our way. Then we need to figure out how to beat Pitt.

I don't get the schedule complaints. UConn and USF are mediocre teams at best. Colgate's a 3- or 4-loss lower-division team.

And people around here apparently think this program is way better than it is.

Usf is NOT a mediocre team, they are talented and fast. Frankly, if we had been playing ooc schedules like rutgers and uconn the last 5-7 years, i would have given up my seasons. If we are gonna lose, I'd rather do it seeing talented teams in the dome.

Cincy is not real good this year...they barely got Miami Ohio at home today.

If UConn makes a bowl game this season, we will have more proof that there are way too many bowl games.

Teams who finish 5-7 and go bowling is Exhibit A.
After the last bowl season, didn't the NCAA change the minimum record to 6-6? :confused:

After the last bowl season, didn't the NCAA change the minimum record to 6-6? :confused:
I think it's still in place, but I'm not sure. The tweak I heard of was that the 5-7 teams would be chosen based upon some academic measure.

UCONN and USF are at the same level as us, USF is slightly ahead of us as a program. SU is in a killer division with 2 for sure Top 10 teams every year and now with L'ville probably 3 until Jackson goes pro. SU won't grow as a program until they can get some wins under their belt. Scheduling equal to better teams makes no sense. SU needs to put in some cupcakes. Alabama (and most SEC schools) schedule 3 cupcakes for crying out loud. They don't make things tougher on them than the need to. It's common sense scheduling. When your conference gives you 2 to 3 upper level games, you can schedule OOC cupcakes to prepare your team and get some needed wins on your schedule.

This whole "macho pride" of we won't schedule a bunch of cupcakes gets you nowhere and prevents you from going to bowl games. SU should just set up Colgate, Buffalo, and Army on their schedule for the next 10 years and throw in a Central Michigan to spice it up. Then re-evaluate things come 2025. I say that tongue in cheek but for real SU just makes it harder on themselves with this foolish scheduling.

Is our schedule really insanely hard? As of right now, there are only three Top 25 opponents (FSU, Louisville, Clemson) on our schedule. It turns out that Notre Dame isn't nearly as good as we anticipated. UConn isn't a big deal. Colgate is Colgate. And the jury is still out on USF, but they were blown out today by a team that got blown out the week before.

Our scheduling isn't too hard. The program just sucks right now. Scheduling USF is a symptom, not a disease.

Is our schedule really insanely hard? As of right now, there are only three Top 25 opponents (FSU, Louisville, Clemson) on our schedule. It turns out that Notre Dame isn't nearly as good as we anticipated. UConn isn't a big deal. Colgate is Colgate. And the jury is still out on USF, but they handled today by a team that got handled the week before.

Is it hard...no if your a good team and a strong program. Which SU isn't right now. SU has been a bottom level P5 team for many years, minus a year here or there. Other schools schedule us for the "easy win"...we shouldn't be looking at schools like USF and UCON as "easy wins." We are not at that point yet at a program. Like I said, Alabama...yes Alabama schedules Kent St, Chattanooga, and Western Kentucky. We schedule Colgate and then a bunch of teams on the same level as us. In what world should we be playing a tougher schedule than Alabama OOC? And Alabama is just one example, I could list off 20 schools as an example of this. They know they have a tough conference schedule so they load up with cupcakes to have games where they can prepare their team and get easy wins. We don't have that, after Colgate (last week of August) SU football is in dog-fights with equal opponents or on the wrong end of blow outs. Little to noo chance for our players to grow and improve in those types of atmosphere's

Like I said, Alabama...yes Alabama schedules Kent St, Chattanooga, and Western Kentucky. We schedule Colgate and then a bunch of teams on the same level as us. In what world should we be playing a tougher schedule than Alabama OOC?

Alabama plays in a showcase game against a big-time program the opening weekend of the year every single season. Why didn't you mention that?

Alabama plays in a showcase game against a big-time program the opening weekend of the year every single season. Why didn't you mention that?

You can do that if you also schedule 3 cupcakes. If SU wants to schedule a ND or a Wisconsin in a given year ...fine, but you can't also schedule a USF and a UCONN too boot!!!!!

If you want to have 1 marquee OOC game a year, I can live with it. I wouldn't suggest it or do it but I can live with it. When we schedule a bunch of teams equal to us and a marquee game it makes zero sense

You can do that if you also schedule 3 cupcakes. If SU wants to schedule a ND or a Wisconsin in a given year ...fine, but you can't also schedule a USF and a UCONN too boot!!!!!

If you want to have 1 marquee OOC game a year, I can live with it. I wouldn't suggest it or do it but I can live with it. When we schedule a bunch of teams equal to us and a marquee game it makes zero sense

ND is 1-3. They just lost to Duke at home. We have zero Top 25 teams on our non-conference schedule.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom