If we don't sign Nate | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

If we don't sign Nate

It's Dajuan. The J is lower case. LOL.

At least I didn't put the 'e' in there, ha. I went to doublecheck online and most media outlets including post-standard lists "DaJuan." Not good all around!

Guys. We aren’t getting Bol Bol or Moses Brown. I’m sure we tried. Outside of that there’s no good bigs in this class. Go to two four seven and figure it out for yourself. It’s probably why we either take Roberts or try it again in 2019. This isn’t rocket science.

Last edited:
At least I didn't put the 'e' in there, ha. I went to doublecheck online and most media outlets including post-standard lists "DaJuan." Not good all around!
That's odd because Donna and Mike have repeatedly said it's a lower case J and that came from Coleman. Just busting your chops, obviously. :cool:

Guys. We aren’t getting Bowl Bol or Moses Brown. I’m sure we tried. Outside of that there’s no good bigs in this class. Go to two four seven and figure it out for yourself. It’s probably why we either take Roberts or try it again in 2019. This isn’t rocket science.
Exactly. The '19 class is much more loaded with bigs. If we get Roberts, fine. If not, we shoot for the moon in the next class.

Exactly. The '19 class is much more loaded with bigs. If we get Roberts, fine. If not, we shoot for the moon in the next class.
Who would be the moon? Cockburn?

Here is the simple thing you don't seem to get. The reason we are not pursuing higher rated players is because Boeheim already gauged their interest behind the scenes and found out they are not interested in coming here. Pretty much his only job is finding the best possible players to come play here, and he's got the second most wins all time so he's the best of the best of the best at this job. He didn't just forget to check in with the best players. He knows exactly which players he can get and which players he cannot get, and he goes all in for the ones that will make for the best team. Going after players who have no interest in coming here just makes it harder to actually land players who might want to come.

Believe it or not, your idea of recruiting the best possible players has already occurred to our coach, and to every other coach in the history of college basketball.

I don't disagree with anything that you've written, and have stated that JB and the staff have done an amazing job with the 2018 class. I asked on an earlier post in this thread if the strength of our class might lessen the importance of establishing rapport with players. With the scandal and strength of this class, I asked if that didn't warrant reassessment of interest. I hinted that this recruiting year was different with with the scandal, and number of decomittments. In my opinion, the scandal is a curveball that is not a regular occurrence in recruiting, and therefore perhaps not considered.

I think it is unfair if you are insinuating that I think JB and company don't know what they are doing. I never said that or implied it. I posed questions, nothing more. And unless SU staff are masquerading as fans on this board (it is syracusefan.com) my questions should not be taken critically or personally. I'm just a fan asking reasonable questions regarding the team I love... the team I want to see JB go out on top with.

Last edited:
I don't disagree with anything that you've written, and have stated that JB and the staff have done an amazing job with the 2018 class. I asked on an earlier post in this thread if the strength of our class might lessen the importance of establishing rapport with players. With the scandal and strength of this class, I asked if that didn't warrant reassessment of interest. I hinted that this recruiting year was different with with the scandal, and number of decomittments. In my opinion, the scandal is a curveball that is not a regular occurrence in recruiting, and therefore perhaps not considered.

I think it is unfair if you are insinuating that I think JB and company don't know what they are doing. I never said that or implied it. I posed questions, nothing more. And unless SU staff are masquerading as fans on this board (it is syracusefan.com) my questions should not be taken critically or personally. I'm just a fan asking reasonable questions regarding the team I love... the team I want to see JB go out on top with.

Programs like UK and Duke can swoop in late and nab 4-5* guys that they hadn't previously had much interaction with.
Cuse? Not so much.
See: Quade Green, Jordan Tucker.

So far, the scandal has only really majorly affected Llvll & Miami.

Who, exactly, are these uncommitted bigs who you think we should be all over now?
And, don't you think some of the other schools they have been considering all along, also have very good recruiting classes?
Guys who are down to schools like UK, Duke, Kansas, UNC, Zona, and the like - aren't now suddenly going to say, "Hey! Cuse has a pretty good class this year, maybe I should check them out!"

It really doesn't matter what WE want - it's what the kids want.
And currently, there are no 2018 bigs (besides Nate) who have any SU interest.
Regardless of how good our class may be already.

IF we don't get Nate, then JB and crew will go hard after '19 bigs, and there's lots of good ones, several with legit SU interest.

Programs like UK and Duke can swoop in late and nab 4-5* guys that they hadn't previously had much interaction with.
Cuse? Not so much.

Who, exactly, are these uncommitted bigs who you think we should be all over now?
And, don't you think some of the other schools they have been considering all along, also have very good recruiting classes?
Guys who are down to schools like UK, Duke, Kansas, UNC, Zona, and the like - aren't now suddenly going to say, "Hey! Cuse has a pretty good class this year, maybe I should check them out!"

IF we don't get Nate, then JB and crew will go hard after '19 bigs, and there's lots of good ones, several with legit SU interest.

Do you know which 2019 bigs are showing genuine Orange interest. Is Cockburn one

Maybe so but many more expected to follow this month:

'Tip of the iceberg': More charges expected this month in college basketball scandal

"Two people involved in the case, who spoke on the condition they not be identified because of the ongoing legal proceedings, said they expect more college coaches and others involved with grassroots basketball programs to be charged later this month.

“This is the tip of the iceberg,” one of them said.

One former high-major college coach who retains deep connections in the business said he believes the case will lead to 40 to 50 job openings for head and assistant coaches by the spring."[/QUOTE]

It seems the staff is fine with having Sidibe and Chukwu playing all the minutes at the 5 next year if necessary and bringing in a guy like Roberts to develop. That's actually a good sign for where Chukwu is, although obviously we have to see it on the court in P5 level games. We are back after Stewart and in play for Cockburn as well for 19.

I'm just glad that our biggest concern is if we bring in an extra big for 2018. Baze, Carey, Hughes, Buddy is a dream class. Sid will do just fine.

Here is the simple thing you don't seem to get. The reason we are not pursuing higher rated players is because Boeheim already gauged their interest behind the scenes and found out they are not interested in coming here. Pretty much his only job is finding the best possible players to come play here, and he's got the second most wins all time so he's the best of the best of the best at this job. He didn't just forget to check in with the best players. He knows exactly which players he can get and which players he cannot get, and he goes all in for the ones that will make for the best team. Going after players who have no interest in coming here just makes it harder to actually land players who might want to come.

Believe it or not, your idea of recruiting the best possible players has already occurred to our coach, and to every other coach in the history of college basketball.
Great post, General. That’s the thing that so many people don’t understand. There’s so much what I would call “reconnaissance” or “intelligence gathering” going on behind the scenes by the assistant coaches. Before we even start really pursuing a recruit, the coaches talk to many people associated with these players—high school coaches, assistants, AAU coaches, family members, whatever adults that the kids know and trust the most in their lives—to gauge their real interest in SU and our chance at actually landing him.

Cuse? Not so much.

Thus far the scandal has affected far more than two schools. Four schools had coaches arrested, and there have been many hints from the FBI and other sports writers that more is to come. That said, your statement that only two schools have been involved is inaccurate.

As for who is available besides Nate...considering Nate is rated about #200 depending on which site you use, there are quite a few uncommitted bigs above Nate which you can research yourself if you choose to do so.

As for your declaration that no other bigs besides Nate have expressed any interest in Syracuse... unless you are on the SU staff, you're making an assumption just like me. I also stated that it might be prudent to reassess interest level given the scandal. Perhaps a recruit who initially expressed no interest, might have a change in heart.

I maintain that there may be other players to pursue or reassess interest with. A lot has changed. A scandal of this level is a first, and if I was a high level big (top 200) and I was not committed I'd be taking a good hard look at Syracuse even if I initially ruled them out. A top ten class at a school not implicated in the best conference with a hall of fame coach might entice me.

That said, it's ok if you disagree. I'm not even saying I'm right. I'm merely posting an opinion. Feel free to scroll along if you don't like mine. I will always defend my right to have and post my view as long as it's not done in a derogatory manner. Peace.

Last edited:
How many players have decommitted from those other schools? That we had any involvement in whatsoever?
We compete directly against Llvll and UM, and also often for recruits too.
See: Jalen Carey.

What MAY happen in the future is purely speculation, regardless of "hints".

Oh, hey, look! You can search for hoops recruiting stuff on the Interwebs - like this:
Verbal Commits | Syracuse Basketball Recruiting Scholarship Chart: Roster, Offers, Commits, Targets, Rankings

As you can see, we only have 3 open offers out remaining for 2018 players.
And Dimon Carrigan apparently went JUCO or some strange ish, so technically there's only 2 - and Nate is one of them, and the only Big.

It's irrelevant how many '18 Bigs are higher ranked than Nate - if NONE of them have an interest in SU, or an offer from SU.
And currently, NONE do.

I'm not the one who started this silly thread.
You seem to think "better" bigs than Nate should be falling all over themselves to come here now, if only we were to get involved at this late stage.
Name one.

How many players have decommitted from those other schools? That we had any involvement in whatsoever?

Oh, hey, look! You can search for hoops recruiting stuff on the Interwebs - like this:
Verbal Commits | Syracuse Basketball Recruiting Scholarship Chart: Roster, Offers, Commits, Targets, Rankings

And Dimon Carrigan apparently went JUCO or some strange ish, so technically there's only 2 - and Nate is one of them, and the only Big.

It's irrelevant how many '18 Bigs are higher ranked than Nate - if NONE of them have an interest in SU, or an offer from SU.
And currently, NONE do.

You seem to think "better" bigs than Nate should be falling all over themselves to come here now, if only we were to get involved at this late stage.
Name one.

I maintain that I believe it may be prudent to reassess interest level given the scandal.

Perhaps a recruit who initially expressed no interest, might have a change in heart - whether they are listed on the site you provided or not (which does not factor in the scandal). Furthermore, whether we have an offer out or not is irrelevant because an offer can be extended at any time. Whether a recruit has or has not expressed interest to this point is also irrelevant because I stated we ought to reassess interest level or reach back out.

As for the rest of your post, I could write out a response which would counter or at least challenge each of your assertions above. But you don't want to read it any more than I want to waste my time researching and typing it out.

Like I wrote in my last post:

That said, it's ok if you disagree. I'm not even saying I'm right. I'm merely posting an opinion. Feel free to scroll along if you don't like mine. I will always defend my right to have and post my view as long as it's not done in a derogatory manner. Peace.

Last edited:
I would hope that the staff, in addition to trying to close with Roberts, looks into WHY the top C prospects don't
seem to be interested in SU. It can't all be the Nick Richards' reason of not liking the zone. And I'm not talking
about pulling a prospect out of Utah or Texas or California, but chasing a kid in the NY/CT/NJ area. There are
a few kids there, highly ranked center prospects, and you look at their school list on only one website:

"committed to Rutgers"
"current top two schools, UNC and Vanderbuilt"
"has 25 schools listed, among them St Johns, SHU, and Rutgers, but no SU"
"has ten schools listed, including wake, uconn, and portland"
"committed to LSU" (but having seen how the last kid from the HS was treated, one can understand)

Why are these kids looking to these particular schools, but not Syracuse? That is something that would be nice
to know and solve.

Kev

And currently, NONE do.

Name one.

Why are you so angry? Anyways Jahvon Quinerly will never play at Zona. I don't know if consider that a decommitment but he will never take the floor for them. This isn't a question of "if" the hammer going to drop but when and on who and that's not speculation that's facts.

It seems the staff is fine with having Sidibe and Chukwu playing all the minutes at the 5 next year if necessary and bringing in a guy like Roberts to develop. That's actually a good sign for where Chukwu is, although obviously we have to see it on the court in P5 level games. We are back after Stewart and in play for Cockburn as well for 19.

It's a much better sign of where Sidibe is.

Why are you so angry? Anyways Jahvon Quinerly will never play at Zona. I don't know if consider that a decommitment but he will never take the floor for them. This isn't a question of "if" the hammer going to drop but when and on who and that's not speculation that's facts.

Uh, no.
Stating something that hasn't happened yet, WILL happen, for sure, is called speculation.
You should try looking at a dictionary sometime. Words have meanings.

Everybody thought the hammer was gonna drop on UNC today, not "if", but when -
how'd that work out? :rolleyes:

I think stating that no uncommitted players have or would express interest if SU staff reapproached them is also speculation. Or is it only speculation when it's an opinion you don't share?

Last edited:
I think stating that no uncommitted players have or would express interest if SU staff reapproached them is also speculation. Or is it only speculation when it's an opinion you don't share?
It's all speculation but the SU coaches know what they're doing. They are not just going to pluck some kid out of nowhere just because he's ranked somewhere. There are a number of factors, being a good fit is one of them.

You can give your opinion of course but you're kind of making the same point repeatedly.

It's my opinion that if we don't land Roberts we can try to get a big who emerges this season. I think we would. And then go to 2019, where there are better options for us.