If you could change some college basketball rules what would you change? | Syracusefan.com

If you could change some college basketball rules what would you change?

Alsacs

Living Legend
I love college basketball, but if I could make some changes I would do the following. I am not somebody who likes change just for the heck of it, but I like to see improvements for me to want change.

1. I would change two 20 minute half's into four 10 minute quarters. This would result in timeouts be called in each quarter one time under 5 minutes, and then at the end of the quarter. This would be instead of the under 16, 12, 8, 4 timeouts.

2. I would change the possession arrow to a jump ball. I made this clear last week, just have the refs throw up and let the players decide possession.

3. I would change shot clock from 35 to 30. I think women's college basketball gets this right. 30 seconds should be enough and be a little different than the NBA, but get more possessions in the game with 5 less seconds on the shot clock.

4. Enforce the coaching box. I hate all the coaches on the court almost every game. I would give each coach 1 warning per game then the 2nd time charge a timeout to the coach if his team has possession if not call a technical foul and 3rd violations automatic Technical foul.

5. Enforce hand-checking. I don't want teams playing overtly physical defense.

What would others want to see changed or enforced?

I know this one would totally never happen, but I would completely eliminate charging and blocking calls altogether. Most of the time they are 50/50 anyway, so might as well just get rid of em and make em a no call.

In all seriousness...I would make it a point of emphasis to call 3 seconds. I hate when guys just cement themselves in the paint and don't get called for it.

I know this one would totally never happen, but I would completely eliminate charging and blocking calls altogether. Most of the time they are 50/50 anyway, so might as well just get rid of em and make em a no call.

Anarchy would ensue with this one. And lots of guys would get killed. Destroyed.

Any rule changes the reduce the referees to be required to make judgement calls I think is a good thing. I am sick and tired of referees changing game outcomes. I really like this years rule change with offensive players with the ball. If the defender hand checks it's a foul. There's no judgement. Although the referees seemed to have relaxed the number of calls.

Here are a few

1) Shot clock to 30, and if that goes well, let's get it to 24
2) Use the NBA rule on timeouts; if a team calls a TO that takes the place of the next media timeout. So none of this team calsl a TO at 16:05, that becomes a full, then you have media TO on the next deadball.
3) Jump ball for sure
4) maybe move the 3 point line back a foot

I really like the NBA rule that extends the ball to halfcourt if you're inbounding the ball in your backcourt. This would really create some exciting buzzer beater finishes!

And change the shot clock from 35 to 30.

Here are a few

1) Shot clock to 30, and if that goes well, let's get it to 24
2) Use the NBA rule on timeouts; if a team calls a TO that takes the place of the next media timeout. So none of this team calsl a TO at 16:05, that becomes a full, then you have media TO on the next deadball.
3) Jump ball for sure
4) maybe move the 3 point line back a foot
Number two was added to woman's division 1 basketball this year... If a team takes a time out within 30 seconds of the media timeout, team gets charged timeout and it becomes the media so no double stoppages.

Last edited:
3. I would change shot clock from 35 to 30. I think women's college basketball gets this right. 30 seconds should be enough and be a little different than the NBA, but get more possessions in the game with 5 less seconds on the shot clock.

4. Enforce the coaching box. I hate all the coaches on the court almost every game. I would give each coach 1 warning per game then the 2nd time charge a timeout to the coach if his team has possession if not call a technical foul and 3rd violations automatic Technical foul.

5. Enforce hand-checking. I don't want teams playing overtly physical defense.
I agree with the shot clock change, coaching box enforcement, and hand check enforcement. Don't agree with switching to quarters or the jump ball. I kinda like the possession arrow. I also liked the idea someone mentioned that moving screens are whistled as turnovers, but not fouls if that means it gets called more often so players adjust and improve their screening technique. The media timeouts idea others have mentioned here is also good.

first rule change- you can shoot dukie v and not get arrested

second- uconn would be eliminated from the game along with joisey state and georgetown

3rd- all head coach's would have to be shown at least twice a game picking boogers

1. I would change two 20 minute half's into four 10 minute quarters. This would result in timeouts be called in each quarter one time under 5 minutes, and then at the end of the quarter. This would be instead of the under 16, 12, 8, 4 timeouts.

You cut a TO out, right? There would only be 3 per half, no? (I'm all for it)

You cut a TO out, right? There would only be 3 per half, no? (I'm all for it)
Yes, this would cut 1 automatic timeout, but coaches would still have the use or it lose it timeout in the first 2 quarters so TV would get their commercials.

So they tried the 4 quarters thing some years back I remember in actual games and stuff. Really bogged the game down. Basically teams went in to stall mode to hold for the last shot 3 times instead of just once. For some reason it works in the NBA with the additional 2 minutes per quarter and the shortened shot clock. I think it would be a disaster in college with the shorter quarter and longer shot clock.

Go to the international rules on the width of the lane, the inbounds off a turnover for which the referees do not have to touch the ball. Eliminate goaltending, shot clock to 30 seconds, and the shot clock starts when the inbounder has the ball. No live ball time out. No hand slapping after a free throw, offense can designatee a FT shooter on all non shooting (in the bonus) fouls committed by the trailing team in the last 2 minutes. Two timeouts per half.

Lots of good one. Here are my top choices.

1. enforce 3 seconds
2. enforce coaching box
3. Moving screen is just a turn over not a foul and enforce the hell out of it. (someone on here mentioned this the other day)
4. 30sec shot clock.
5. TO does not extend the 10sec to get over half court.
6. Team TO when a TV TO was going to happen is also the TV TO games are long enough already.

I'm not sold on 4 quarters or moving the ball to the front court after TO's late in the games.

Shot Clock to 30, Coaching box enforcement, eliminate offensive goal tending, change foul DQ to six. I also like the 4 quarters idea for time. Oh and finally - move the 3pt line back to NBA line.

you get 10 seconds to bring the ball over half court. Period. You call time out with :08 gone, you get :02 to get it over half court.

This was mine too. Don't understand why it is even reset. I would maybe even say the same thing for calling time out when trying to inbound the ball and avoiding the 5 second call, although that doesn't bother me as much.

And I hate the NBA rule of getting the ball at half court for calling a time out. Why does the ball move because you called a time out?

Also like the enforcement of the coaches box.

Just call the rules on the books. Traveling, carrying, 3 seconds, coaching box and hand checks.
I remember the days of jump balls and the ineptness of refs to toss the damn thing correctly was truly amazing. Games got decided on this and it could be very unfair. Possession arrow is much better IMO.

If the players get any taller and athletic we might have to resort to a trapezoid lane. OK, so that would help the Zonemaster - whatever.