If you could take one player off the SU '87 team (real champs) and put them on this year's team, | Syracusefan.com

If you could take one player off the SU '87 team (real champs) and put them on this year's team,

Deano

All American
whom would it be?

I'm torn between DC and Rony, since we pretty much have no offensive game. Both were tough on both ends of the court, however I believe DC being a freshman didn't initially have the offensive game at that point in his career. Rony was better in that area at that time. So if I had to decide I would probably take Rony, but it's really, really close.

That is what makes it a valid argument. Junior Rony or Freshman DC. DC was pretty skinny back then, but he DID grab 19 rebounds in the championship. I would take either, but Rony had some moves around the basket that would baffle most college players these days. I think I would have to go with Rony.

Sherman, DC missed a lot of free throws that hurt us in the end. If not for the missed free throws, DC.

DC.

Indiana would be sh!tting its pants if DC was lining up on Thursday. Zeller would look like a JV player.

I was 3 but if I didn't pick the Sherm my dad would knife me in the face Merle style.

Rony was great, but I'd still have to go with frosh DC. Rebounding, swatting shots, and when MCW or BT got in the lane he could still catch and dunk.

DC. Do you realize that as a freshman in that '87 championship game he pulled down 19 friggin' rebounds? 19! It was a record at the time, not sure if it still is.

Seikaly would be my second choice.

DC.

and at the opening tap tell him...'do what youve wanted to do to an indiana player for 25 years'.

and then sit back and watch as he right crosses zeller...left crosses olapido, takes off and throws his jersey at nance & kellogg, then turns and walks to his baseline seat as Billy Owens hands him a beer.

if Syracuse lost after that...id be ok with it.

Oh Lord

How can you not take the "Copter"? Herman Harried all the way!

Greg Monroe might be a good one to have, purely on a need basis for more outside shooting. Seikaly, DC, Sherm, Triche - heck, I'd take any or all of them. I loved that team.

We already have DC on the team. It has to be the General. He played the most minutes on the 87 team, indicating his worth.

Dc or Sherm based on the lack of depth at either position...id even take High School junior Billy Owens

Of course it would be hard to leave DC off of this team, but how could you turn down Rony's offensive production at the 5? In that game he had 18 pts plus 10 boards and 3 blocks. Notwithstanding the improved performaance of Baye, that is still one of the weakest parts of SU's game. If we could get 18 pts on Thursday night from our centers, our perimiter game would be wide open and an elite 8 berth would be almost a certainty.

you put DC on the team, that means he plays with CJ at the 3. we still have no center and now no outside shooting at all.

you put Rony on the team he doubles the output at the center, he gets more rebounds and more blocks and now they have to double down at the center and the outside becomes open for drives and shots..

DC, without question. Even as a freshman, DC stood out as an exceptional and instinctive rebounder. The difference he would make on the defensive glass would put this team over the top.

whom would it be?

I'm torn between DC and Rony, since we pretty much have no offensive game. Both were tough on both ends of the court, however I believe DC being a freshman didn't initially have the offensive game at that point in his career. Rony was better in that area at that time. So if I had to decide I would probably take Rony, but it's really, really close.
DC would be our best player, every position.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

whom would it be?

For the year, DC averaged 11.9 Ppg, 56% & 8.8 Rpg.
Rony was 15.1 Ppg, 57% & 8.2 Rpg
Sherm was 17.3 Ppg, 53% & 7.6 Apg & 74% foul shots & was the leader (The General).

I take Sherm

Wow amazing how different college bball was back then. Rony was great in that tourney him and DC destroyed UNC if I recall.

I'd take DC he could play the 4 and the 5 for us on this team better than anyone else does now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom