I'm confused about our fanbase... | Syracusefan.com

I'm confused about our fanbase...

imdevo

2023-24 Iggy Winner Leading Scorer
I see a bunch of posts about this year we are complaining about the lack of respect from the media, etc...

And then i start reading a bunch of posts and some of us are all like "we like the underdog role...better unranked preseason and come out of nowhere...fly under the radar is when we perform better..."

Seriously? We still like the underdog role?

We demand respect but we don't respect ourselves.

I see a bunch of posts about this year we are complaining about the lack of respect from the media, etc...

And then i start reading a bunch of posts and some of us are all like "we like the underdog role...better unranked preseason and come out of nowhere...fly under the radar is when we perform better..."

No.
Apples and Oranges (pun intended) re; your statement that- "...we don't respect ourselves".
Personally, my preference to wanting to stay "under the radar" comes from our program's history. Those years when we were overlooked or underrated, usually turned out to be some of our best seasons. In'03 we started out unranked and took the whole thing. Or the Wes Johnson year where we spanked UNC at his MSG coming out party, and then were Top 5 the next week. It's fun to shock the world like that!
JB's teams have had a history of performing best when under appreciated, so wanting to see that history repeat itself is not a sign of disrespect for this years team.
Rather, it's always great to show the pundits, talking heads, know-it-alls, and rival fans what we already know...that this year we should be a top 10 team nationally, and top 2-4 ACC. JMHO

Last edited:

People say what they need to say to make themselves feel better at the moment. We're offended by not being ranked in the top 25. Top 25 rankings are meaningless. Our recruits aren't ranked in the top 25 — must be a conspiracy to downgrade our guys, and uprate Duke's kids. Oh, but HS recruiting rankings are meaningless. Until we get one, and then we're happiest/proudest of that guy... We want a No 1 seed, but when we're in just off the bubble, we cherish the underdog role — best place to be: under the radar...

College Hoops. It's like religion. Make out of it what you need to get by.

I'm more confused than anything else, how someone who follows college bball for a living, can look at this roster and not think its a top 25 team.
I am with you, Brian. Maybe just seeing a bit more orange through my glasses. (a common board malady...or maybe just me?), I think that once we gel, maybe after 5 or 6 ACC games, we are a top 10 team. Listening to recent JB comments and reading between the lines, I gather he has us up there in his mind. Looking forward, I think the only possibe reason we are not top 10 is the dreaded (shhhhh!) injury bug. Go 'Cuse!

I am with you, Brian. Maybe just seeing a bit more orange through my glasses. (a common board malady...or maybe just me?), I think that once we gel, maybe after 5 or 6 ACC games, we are a top 10 team. Listening to recent JB comments and reading between the lines, I gather he has us up there in his mind. Looking forward, I think the only possibe reason we are not top 10 is the dreaded (shhhhh!) injury bug. Go 'Cuse!

Someone else in another thread made a great post, I forget who it was, but it was funny. He said Michigan st could run out 5 one legged guys, and people would have them in the top 15. The great programs reload every year, and we are a great program, and for some reason aren't viewed as one by the media.

I dont really care where we start in preseason polls.

I don't care either way. I just react to whatever the media is doing. If they're going to underrate us, good, let's prove 'em wrong. If they're going to rank us where we belong or overrate us, good, let's prove them right.

I don't think the premise that fans want to be the underdog is what's happening.

Being highly ranked is a source of great pride for me. I brag about Syracuse like a Dad about his kids. Both basketball teams were in the Final Four, X-Country and Field Hockey were number one, lacrosse is always solid. It's just that one bum kid, Football, if he would just get it together, his mother and I could rest easy.

All of these pundits get enamored with high school talent and recruiting classes. But in reality, they see we lose 3 starters including two NBA draft picks and think we lose a ton. Which we did, but we have more than enough coming back and have added a ton.

Look at our front line. We have a senior power forward who has played in 82 games and started 54, is a tremendous offensive rebounder when engaged, who was a force against Duke on the road last year in a win. We have a redshirt senior center who has played in 71 games, started 66 and appears to finally be healthy. You have a sophomore forward who played starters minutes last year and is arguably our best player and a potential lottery pick, and then you have a 7-2 redshirt sophomore who could be a game changer defensively. Not to mention a 6-8 freshman who is a Top 100 recruit and oh yeah, a small forward who averaged 16 ppg in the Big Ten. That might be the best front court in the country.

I don't care if you have David Patrick and Louie McCroskey in the backcourt, those players in the front court are going to win games.

But oh by the way, we have a pretty good backcourt, too. Howard, Gillon and Battle (also a potential 1st round pick eventually) are more than capable. And if Howard & Battle can make enough shots to make defenses play them honestly, we are in for an exciting year.

I think the media is too fixated on SU loosing its 3 top scorers from a team that had plenty of in-season loses last year (of course the FF run was great!), and they are not giving enough credit (or taking a wait and see approach) to what also matters a lot, all the existing and incoming talent this year. Of course, teams like UK with lots of new talent each year get way overly embraced/hyped by the media, while often not the case for the Cuse. I agree that this can affect recruiting (e.g., "UK and Cal will get me to the league." Makes me want to vomit!). That may suck, but after a little time for our players to gel, their play will catapult them to where they deserve to be in the polls. Look at pre-season football polls compared to what they are several games into a season. Many changes!

I didn't say that. Of course they can. Rankings mean shite in basketball. It's all about rpi and making the tournament.
Agreed.
Fans like rankings for bragging rights but in practicality, they mean little in cbb. Its all about the Dance.
Exhibit A:
images

Agreed.
Fans like rankings for bragging rights but in practicality, they mean little in cbb. Its all about the Dance.
Exhibit A:
images

If it was "all" about the dance, Uconn would be the cats meow of college basketball. In all reality they're playing in the AAC playing at a high mid-major level.

There are MANY factors when it comes to success as a program, not just one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom