I'm confused about our fanbase... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I'm confused about our fanbase...

If it was "all" about the dance, Uconn would be the cats meow of college basketball. In all reality they're playing in the AAC playing at a high mid-major level.

There are MANY factors when it comes to success as a program, not just one.
Methinks you're being a little too literal in my use of the word "all".
Obviously there's many factors that go into the success of a program, that's a given. My point is that on a seasonal, year-to-year basis, the main factor between success and failure is the post-season, and the NCAA Tournament in particular. I don't see how someone can argue otherwise.
We had a mediocre regular season last year, yet by all accounts our Final 4 makes all of that moot. Likewise, we've had great regular seasons in the past, but an early flame-out in the Dance rendered those as disappointing years in retrospect.
And regarding UConn as an example, their 2 most recent NC's were won after very unspectacular regular seasons, yet the fact that they won the Tournament makes those seasons an unqualified success. I would gladly take a 500 regular season that ends with a NC, than a #1 Seed that loses in the 2nd Round.
And where they landed in CR has little if anything to do with their athletic success or failure. Other factors come into play for CR, just look at Rutgers as a prime example. Geography has RU's MBB playing in the Big 10, certainly NOT performance.
IMHO, when it comes to CBB, a successful year is predominately determined by how well you perform in the DANCE.

Last edited:
Perception is important. MSU was upset in the first round last year, but since they had a great regular season they automatically are top 10. Recruits eat this up because they want to be associated with the best programs recruiting them. Final fours help and we've certainly had our share of tournament success this decade, but so does being ranked in the top 10.

We've had more recent tourney success than zona, yet they are continuously ranked in the top 10. It helps them get elite recruits. They just got the number one player and miller is as good of a recruiter as Boeheim.

Perception is important. MSU was upset in the first round last year, but since they had a great regular season they automatically are top 10. Recruits eat this up because they want to be associated with the best programs recruiting them. Final fours help and we've certainly had our share of tournament success this decade, but so does being ranked in the top 10.

We've had more recent tourney success than zona, yet they are continuously ranked in the top 10. It helps them get elite recruits. They just got the number one player and miller is as good of a recruiter as Boeheim.

Sadly for them not nearly as a good of a coach.

This is what I'm kinda getting at. Even look at Duke, have had some EMBARRASSING early round exits as of late and have a history of them, but it NEVER slows them down with recruiting. So you look at these squads, including the ones you mentioned, the "staying power" they have as a top 10 or even 25 team does mean a lot. Means more TV, more exposure on ESPN, etc etc.

Nobody can tell me that we don't get more press when we're highly rated in the polls. We received FAR more press during a 25-0 run than we even did during the NCAA tournament. Hearing about Syracuse through our 35 regular season and conference games and our name gets mentioned far more than 4 games in March/April. Unless you win, you're forgotten.

This is what I'm kinda getting at. Even look at Duke, have had some EMBARRASSING early round exits as of late and have a history of them, but it NEVER slows them down with recruiting. So you look at these squads, including the ones you mentioned, the "staying power" they have as a top 10 or even 25 team does mean a lot. Means more TV, more exposure on ESPN, etc etc.

Nobody can tell me that we don't get more press when we're highly rated in the polls. We received FAR more press during a 25-0 run than we even did during the NCAA tournament. Hearing about Syracuse through our 35 regular season and conference games and our name gets mentioned far more than 4 games in March/April. Unless you win, you're forgotten.
Fair enough, and I agree that the great reg season leads to numerous benefits in receuiting, etc. However, both Duke and MSU have also produced results in the form of multiple NC's to earn their deserved reps. At some point hype has to come with final results- and these can only happen via the Tournament.
One of the most satisfying things about finally winning it all in 2003, was that I no longer had to hear the stat- "Syracuse has the most wins in NCAA Tournament history without ever winning a NC". Hated that ish whenever it was said. It used to haunt me because there is no comeback for not winning championships.
Yes, we built this program on great regular seasons, resulting in great recruiting classes, leading to tons of wins and a great tradition. But, IMO, our legitimacy came AFTER we nailed a championship. Nobody wants to be the Buffalo Bills forever. Duke and MSU get recruits because they've won, won big, but also have the NC's to show for it.

Someone else in another thread made a great post, I forget who it was, but it was funny. He said Michigan st could run out 5 one legged guys, and people would have them in the top 15. The great programs reload every year, and we are a great program, and for some reason aren't viewed as one by the media.

Because no one in the media really wants to go to Syracuse in the winter to cover games there. :cool:

Fair enough, and I agree that the great reg season leads to numerous benefits in receuiting, etc. However, both Duke and MSU have also produced results in the form of multiple NC's to earn their deserved reps. At some point hype has to come with final results- and these can only happen via the Tournament.
One of the most satisfying things about finally winning it all in 2003, was that I no longer had to hear the stat- "Syracuse has the most wins in NCAA Tournament history without ever winning a NC". Hated that ish whenever it was said. It used to haunt me because there is no comeback for not winning championships.
Yes, we built this program on great regular seasons, resulting in great recruiting classes, leading to tons of wins and a great tradition. But, IMO, our legitimacy came AFTER we nailed a championship. Nobody wants to be the Buffalo Bills forever. Duke and MSU get recruits because they've won, won big, but also have the NC's to show for it.
MSU has two titles (one under Izzo) and one runner-up finish in the NCAAT. That doesn't exactly put them on a different level than SU, in my opinion.

Especially the last tourney, because most of the press was negative, as in SU shouldn't have been allowed in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom