I'm convinced there's only one thing preventing Roberson from being a star | Syracusefan.com

I'm convinced there's only one thing preventing Roberson from being a star

Eric15

Living Legend
Decisiveness.

I love him and I think he has all the physical tools and talent to be an all-ACC player, but I'm convinced he's the most chronic over-thinker I've ever seen wear an SU uniform.

You know when a parent is teaching their 4 year old to swim, and they have their arm-floaties on, and they're hesitant to put their feet in the water... that's what Roberson reminds me of when he's deciding whether or not to shoot the ball.

Don't think, buddy. Just pull the trigger. You have solid form on your jump shot.

P.S. My favorite play of last night was his beautiful McHale-esque up-and-under move.

P.S. My favorite play of last night was his beautiful McHale-esque up-and-under move.

That whole drive, with the spin move and up-and-under was freakin' poetry. Do more of that, Tyler!

Decisiveness.

I love him and I think he has all the physical tools and talent to be an all-ACC player, but I'm convinced he's the most chronic over-thinker I've ever seen wear an SU uniform.

You know when a parent is teaching their 4 year old to swim, and they have their arm-floaties on, and they're hesitant to put their feet in the water... that's what Roberson reminds me of when he's deciding whether or not to shoot the ball.

Don't think, buddy. Just pull the trigger. You have solid form on your jump shot.

Every time he gets an open 15' shot, he pump fakes twice and does something. I'd really love him to just take the damn shot. He's not terrible, and if he makes one, maybe he'll make another. It opens up his game so much, since no one guards him 13-15' out. How many wide open 3s does Kaleb pass up, too? He may not be confident, but sheesh, you're a division 1 guard, take the shot -- it's probably the best shot of the possession you're likely to get.

Maybe I am way off but his style and game reminds me of a young maturing CJ Fair.

Decisiveness.

Roberson seems to me like a guy who is going to improve incrementally every year, and be a fine player his senior season.

I know that people get frustrated with him not pulling the trigger on that jump shot, but I kind of appreciate his recognition not to just crank the ball up every time he's open. It shows good judgement, even though I agree that his jump shot looks like it will be a formidable weapon down the road.

Decisiveness.

Confidence. Not in himself, but confidence in his game from his coach. Once he realizes JB has given him the green light, everything else will fall in line for him. The shots will drop, his decisiveness will solidify, and he will be the true beast we know he can be.

Every time he gets an open 15' shot, he pump fakes twice and does something. I'd really love him to just take the damn shot. He's not terrible, and if he makes one, maybe he'll make another.

Aye, his double clutch fake at the top of the key is getting as predictable as Jerami's spin move was on his drives.

Problem is, who is going to fall for a pump fake on a shot you never take to begin with? I have faith that this is going to improve and he'll consistently be able to hit that jumper.

He needs a jump shot (and the confidence to shoot) and another 25 pounds. IMO the 4 is a stretch for him against bigger teams. But if his jumper arrives -- even mid-range-- he could be a scoring/slashing/RBing MACHINE.

Decisiveness.

i think he has suspect hands. im not sure he can become a good shooter, which would take his game to the next level. that being said, i think you can win a lot of games with a player like tyler. im just not sure hes a star, rather a complimentary player. i hope im wrong.

Roberson seems to me like a guy who is going to improve incrementally every year, and be a fine player his senior season.

I know that people get frustrated with him not pulling the trigger on that jump shot, but I kind of appreciate his recognition not to just crank the ball up every time he's open. It shows good judgement, even though I agree that his jump shot looks like it will be a formidable weapon down the road.
Yeah, in that regard he feels like a low post version of Demetris Nichols. You could always see the tools, but it took four years and gradual increases in confidence and opportunity to finally get the finished product.

i think he has suspect hands. im not sure he can become a good shooter, which would take his game to the next level. that being said, i think you can win a lot of games with a player like tyler. im just not sure hes a star, rather a complimentary player. i hope im wrong.

Roberson would do better on a team that had more offensive weapons, where he could focus on rebounding, defending and collecting garbage around the rim. But in our current lineup, he's just one of two many guys on the floor at the same time who can't score.

He very clearly has been put on a close leash with regard to his ability to take shots. he does not have the green light. He was wide open at least 10 times last night but refused to shoot. That wasn't by accident. I think its a mistake as I'm not sure how he can learn to make that 10-15 footer in a game if he's not allowed to try but they must see a lot more in practice. If he can develop that shot consistently a la CJ, watch out as that would add a huge weapon to this struggling offense.

he took it right at that 7 footer and scored one time. It was nice. He can score a ton if he believes...

Confidence. Not in himself, but confidence in his game from his coach. Once he realizes JB has given him the green light, everything else will fall in line for him. The shots will drop, his decisiveness will solidify, and he will be the true beast we know he can be.
This is exactly what I was going to respond. And as he continues to develop JB will begin to run more plays for him (as he did for Rak this year). You can see the raw talent, just like when Grant was starting out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RSmith

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom