I'm glad it's over | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I'm glad it's over

Sad thing is the defense will certainly be worse next year. They did play well through 3 quarters of the season. Next year we won’t have that kind of luxury.

How do you figure that? We return a rock solid d line, have replacements groomed at linebacker, and have size and speed taking over the db’s

Building a program takes years and lots of resources, both financial and otherwise.

It's been almost a generation since we were really good. We're on our third chancellor, fourth AD and our fifth head coach since then.

If you believe in Dino, which I do, he needs to know he has 4-5 years to get this set up. Year 3 we should be showing legitimate signs of what our program will become (meaning next year).

I see a lot of comments that address getting us to six wins and a low-level bowl, which would be fantastic no doubt, but Dino is building a program. Our AD, from what I believe, is right there with him.

We hung with LSU, FSU and Miami. We beat Clemson. That loss to MTSU was tough. We ran out of gas and healthy players at the end of the season.

We do not have the talent across the board to be able to compete every week with this year's schedule. We absolutely do not have the depth to absorb the injuries we did.

Think about how many guys that played the most snaps will see an NFL contract. It won't be many. Nothing against these guys. Played hard, set records and no one can take away that Clemson victory.

It's hard, but the real dividends for having Dino aren't coming until years 4 or 5. Maybe something can click next year.

If you can't handle that, I don't think you're going to be happy with anyone at Syracuse, save a Nick Saban.

It's tough to have faith as a football fan of Syracuse. But there isn't a quick fix. It's a process.

I've said it before, we fans, I include myself, are worried about stomping out a cigarette in the middle of a forest fire.
Couldn’t have said it better myself.
As much as this year ended on a sour note, i think our expectations were raised after the Clemson win. Of course we wanted better than another 4-8, but we all were looking at “Bowl or bust” after that.
The biggest x-factor in the last 3 seasons has been the health of Dungey and the backup QB situation.
Next season, can we just assume #2 won’t finish the season and have Devito and/or Rex ready to step in?
I think we’ll get there w/ this coach and this staff. Year 3 of a 5 year plan should, at a minimum, have a bowl game as the standard. Another 4-8 record, and the seat starts to get warm for Dino.

Last edited:
You may be right, but you do realize this has been said for every coach after Pasqualoni. The truth is closer to it may take that long, or this coach just may never get us there.

First, of course you're right - no one can predict the future.

But to me, Dino gives us a very good chance of becoming a top 25 program in the long run versus the previous head coaches we've had.

Marrone was fantastic, to a point, but was never going to be able to recruit well enough.

GRob just was a terrible choice across the board and Shafer was a great coordinator, but not head coach material.

But outside of getting Saban or Meyer, we need to wait. It takes time.

Hey at least we'll always have that Clemson win. That was fun at least. Until the last 3 games looked like a year of real progress. Played competitively against some good teams. Then everything went to hell . Dino has a lot of recruiting to do especially on the defensive side of the ball.

It was a very difficulty last 10 quarters of the season but there was progress this year before the lack of depth took over when attrition took over

The way I look at it...we've been very bad since early in the GW Bush administration. ..with the exception of the Marrone/Nassib year, but all of those teams were torture to watch, except for 2012.

Babers has made the games interesting to watch even though the results haven't been joyful. For that I am thankful on this Thanksgiving weekend.

Where we go from here...who knows?

First, of course you're right - no one can predict the future.

But to me, Dino gives us a very good chance of becoming a top 25 program in the long run versus the previous head coaches we've had.

Marrone was fantastic, to a point, but was never going to be able to recruit well enough.

GRob just was a terrible choice across the board and Shafer was a great coordinator, but not head coach material.

But outside of getting Saban or Meyer, we need to wait. It takes time.

I would have totally agreed just a few weeks ago, but after the recent total el foldo, I am not as sure. Today the team mailed it in.

Very fun season

Team ran out of gas.
I agree with this, but I think a big reason for this is they didn't rotate players enough. We had barely any injuries this year, particularly on Defense

We weren’t playing teams like LSU, FSU, and Miami to the wire on the road and feeling like we could’ve or should’ve won either.
LSU lost to Troy the next week, Miami barely beat UNC, who were horrible this year, and FSU was mediocre this year (at best)

Yes. We played an easy schedule. Pretty much FCS level...
It's true we saw a string of sub-par national powerhouses like we'll prob never see again.

Clem, FSU, LSU all had either an injured QB, a down year or both. It's a real shame we could close out wins v FSU, LSU or Miami

I would have totally agreed just a few weeks ago, but after the recent total el foldo, I am not as sure. Today the team mailed it in.

I understand the frustration. But once ED got injured, we were done. And combined with the other injuries and our schedule, our guys were done. It takes a toll when, both mentally and physically.

I don't think they just gave up. I think they were just beat up. It happens.

Looking forward to next year. Really enjoyed the Clemson win and the competitive Miami, LSU and FSU games. As far as MTSU and the last 2 1/2 games here's what I think about them:

O3GqAYR9jFxLi.gif

As far as player turnover, sometimes you have the answers on your roster, and only we the fans don't know it. Remember when Pearl left and Sherman Douglas took over?

Dino, in his press conference yesterday, seemed unusually confident and poised to me. He wasn't rattled after such a beat down, he didn't seem despondent, and he didn't reference ISIS. As I think about it, he is either: a) delusional, or b) aware of some things we don't yet know. For now, I choose to believe it's the latter.

I guess we'll find out next year.

Last edited:
If Dino can’t turn this thing around then I don’t know who can. For the first time in years I was excited to watch our team. We beat Clemson and just missed on a few other big wins.

Yes the last few weeks sucked but I believe we are closer to the team we saw against Clemson than the one that got killed late in the year.

Dino will continue to sell his vision and bring in players. He will tweak his staff and before you know it we will be back!

Hang tight Cuse nation. Hang tight.