I'm gonna say it... | Syracusefan.com

I'm gonna say it...

Orangtiz

Starter
I'm sorry but I'm starting to believe all those people who said it was next to impossible to recruit legit talent to Syracuse. Sure the recruiting classes have been a slight step up from the Shafer days... but today was BAD. I'm not an insider but from those who seem to be plugged in... Fortin and Poitier were ours. Instead we lost Fortin and now all things are trending bad with Poitier. Those are the 4-star kids we need to land if we want to be an upper tier ACC program. And lose out to a G5 school with a brand new staff and FSU who swoops back into a recruitment 12 hours before the kid signs? Can't happen.

I know proximity may have a lot to do with it for both players, but the talent isn't great enough in the Northeast (considering PSU's recruiting stangle-hold) for us to be top tier-ACC. The program may have a real issue on its hands.

I'm sorry but I'm starting to believe all those people who said it was next to impossible to recruit legit talent to Syracuse. Sure the recruiting classes have been a slight step up from the Shafer days... but today was BAD. I'm not an insider but from those who seem to be plugged in... Fortin and Poitier were ours. Instead we lost Fortin and now all things are trending bad with Poitier. Those are the 4-star kids we need to land if we want to be an upper tier ACC program. And lose out to a G5 school with a brand new staff and FSU who swoops back into a recruitment 12 hours before the kid signs? Can't happen.

I know proximity may have a lot to do with it for both players, but the talent isn't great enough in the Northeast (considering PSU's recruiting stangle-hold) for us to be top tier-ACC. The program may have a real issue on its hands.

Fortin was a bad beat but we were never a lock or leader for Poitier. A few posters felt we were in a good position but your talking about a Florida WR with FSU and Florida offers, it was always going to be an uphill climb if one of those programs came on heavy late. As for your other point it's always been an uphill battle recruiting here save the early to mod 90s and its going to continue to be that way most likely.

So I am going to say this. I think this is junior high-level drama without merit.

Fortin...he transfers due to playing time; wouldn't you think he would go to a place for guaranteed playing time?

Poitier...was our's? Was he? Or is that hopeful thinking?

Let's get a grip here. I don't love this class, but this post is ridiculous.

So I am going to say this. I think this is junior high-level drama without merit.

Fortin...he transfers due to playing time; wouldn't you think he would go to a place for guaranteed playing time?

Poitier...was our's? Was he? Or is that hopeful thinking?

Let's get a grip here. I don't love this class, but this post is ridiculous.

Out recruited by FSU for a Florida kid and a transfer who wants to play immediately. EPIC FAIL!!! come on

For whatever reasons Dino's staff is struggling to elevate the talent level. And it's hard as a fan base to see itp play out like this. BUT that's not to say it can't be done because it HAS been done in the past. In the mid 80s the program success mirrors where we're at now. Some Gerg-level ineptitude in the early 80s (Sack Mack Pack), followed by mediocre 6-5, 5-6 seasons... and a bowl game thrown in there. Mac was able to find a formula to make SU attractive again. 87 didn't happen without better recruiting in the 3-4 years prior.

This is a different era, but the same drawbacks we have now also existed back then.

It. Can. Be. Done.

Maybe Dino isn't willing to hire and fire to shake up his staff to make it happen.

But it can be done. And I hope Babers figures it out. Real soon.

We struggled recruiting QB depth. That is about the only position we’ve neglected this cycle. What Dino has to do is work on getting those 1 to 3 four-star recruits that can make a difference. We are building depth.
Don’t have those difference makers.

For whatever reasons Dino's staff is struggling to elevate the talent level.
Strongly disagree with this. Best evidence is the youth on the two deep and the number of freshmen that have been major contributors each year. Half of the Offensive depth chart this year were redshirt sophomores or younger, and this doesn't even count Benson and Jordan who took larger roles as the year went on.

QB recruiting has been a mess, too many times we have put all our eggs in the one proverbial basket and gotten burned. However, that doesn't take away from the fact that this staff has upgraded our talent at almost every position. still work to do, and we sure as hell can use a couple of strong recruiters to go along with Nick, especially someone who has enough cache with QBs. I know it's easy to pile on Martin, but he is not that guy

Its not that its tough to land legit talent, its a matter of having coaches that are USED to recruiting "legit talent". That is the one and only reason I wanted Ed Orgeron over HCDB when Ed said Syracuse was " a dream job". The point is this, if you have MAC coaches that come to a P5 you are going to probably get MAC type recruiting classes plus a few P5 players. If you dont believe me look at HCSS and HCDB recruiting classes at Syracuse. The reality is they are used to recruiting the MAC way and not sitting in with top talent. I know its tough for us to admit but its reality.

You CANNOT fault the coaches for doing what they were successful doing in the MAC but as some of us predicted it wouldn't work in a premier conference. The bigger problem is our lack of "quality depth". I pointed this out before the season started and a lot of people on here jumped on me and said I was wrong about recruiting and predicting us to win only 6 games. Well they are right we won 5 with HCDB recruits. But in a indisputable way I was correct about the recruting. I was hoping that this class would be different but its the same. Unless we hammer the portal and get some talent eligible to play next year, I see 2 wins in the ACC next year. Very frustrated!

This thread is too much doom and gloom:

#1 Fortin was never ours. Some posters thought he was ours, but he wasn't. If we lost Fortin ...so did all the other P5 schools that were recruiting him. He went to USF for goodness sake

#2 Forget Poitier. Honestly. I don't know how we are gonna make room for all the receivers we have now, let alone if we got Potier too. Alford is a monster, Ja'vontae and Mahar are absolutely without a doubt no slouches. Stop crying in your mug over Poitier. Who cares?? We have good receivers

#3 This staff has without a doubt, hands down recruited better than predecessors. We have Bergeron who is going to be a FANTASTIC tackle for THREE more years, Jordan and Benson who will be absolute studs for THREE-FOUR more years, receivers that PRODUCE EVERY YEAR, a young stud linebacker in Mikel Jones (who no one thought we would land) for THREE more years, 2 young defensive ends in Tuazama and Linton who will be here for THREE more years, and a former All American in Andre Cisco.

#4 The only place where I am concerned is DT and QB, but the staff has until February to make a dent here ...and they will really have to. We are too weak at these positions

Interested why people think Mahar’s a WR? I think he’ll redshirt and crack the 2d at TE once Hack graduates.

The staffs likely brought in Meng as a blocking TE or a future lineman

I'll make you feel better: We've never consistently landed more than a couple 4-stars per class. Maybe early 90s-mid-90s but even there we landed a ton of kids who turned into great players despite not coming in with a ton of stars next to their names. We need to get the right kids and we need to find a way to develop them.

Now the downside is that this is a difficult task and maybe much harder today than in the previous couple decades. But you don't have to worry about signing a bunch of 4-star kids -- we won't.

Interested why people think Mahar’s a WR? I think he’ll redshirt and crack the 2d at TE once Hack graduates.

The staffs likely brought in Meng as a blocking TE or a future lineman
To me he looks to lean to be a tight end. The other thing is he was telling people he was being recruited as a receiver. Mang just looks like a future Gronk (in physique)

But if Mahar's a tight end, that's cool with me!

Overall this class is a step down from what we have been bringing in. I don’t think there is anything wrong with saying that.

Two Four Seven rankings
2017- 54th (11/14 ACC)
2018- 51st (10/14 ACC)
2019- 56th (10/14 ACC)
2020- 53rd (9/14 ACC)

Our highest rated in-conference finish (still 6 spots to fill) is considered a step down?

Two Four Seven rankings
2017- 54th (11/14 ACC)
2018- 51st (10/14 ACC)
2019- 56th (10/14 ACC)
2020- 53rd (9/14 ACC)

Our highest rated in-conference finish (still 6 spots to fill) is considered a step down?
It's a step down. Check the offer lists and videos. I don't care about rating, but if you did per recruit, this class would be much worse, one of the worst in P5.

Two Four Seven rankings
2017- 54th (11/14 ACC)
2018- 51st (10/14 ACC)
2019- 56th (10/14 ACC)
2020- 53rd (9/14 ACC)

I hope nobody is happy having a bottom 3rd finish in football recruiting in a Basketball conference. THIS IS BAD!

I sincerely, sincerely do not get a lot of you people today. I just don't get it. This class is really good. Is it because we got 2 kids from Germany? Is that why it's a mess? Is it because we were supposed to have a top 35 class because we won 10 games a year ago? Just a reminder---that was over a year ago

Can't wait for all you to eat your words in 3 years ...but none of you will because no one will remember what you said.

I am more excited by this class than any Dino has brought in to date, and I think you are going to see that play out on the field

I sincerely, sincerely do not get a lot of you people today. I just don't get it. This class is really good. Is it because we got 2 kids from Germany? Is that why it's a mess? Is it because we were supposed to have a top 35 class because we won 10 games a year ago? Just a reminder---that was over a year ago

Can't wait for all you to eat your words in 3 years ...but none of you will because no one will remember what you said.

I am more excited by this class than any Dino has brought in to date, and I think you are going to see that play out on the field
Agree. Each year under Dino the classes have gotten a little better.

That is unfortunately the way most programs improve. It takes time. It is a slow process.

I would love to have a top 25 class. But if you compare this class to one from 5 years ago, it isn't even close.

We have to get 2 more QBs on the roster ASAP. We need to get couple more DT/OT types. Maybe another linebacker. Those remaining open spots on the roster will address these areas. It is good we have another signing period and the transfer portal to work with now as well. You know more players will be leaving their schools as it become evident they are not going to play right away where they are now.

Overall, the depth on the team is better than it has been in a while. We actually have too many WRs and RBs right now. A couple might need to move or might end up playing a couple of positions.

I think there is a difference in what some people are feeling. I absolutely love the current kids we have signed. I do agree that no QB is downright scary but I don’t think that makes the class a downgrade. If we get a QB or two in the next 2 months plus a DL prospect this will be his best class imo

And will you be head to eat your words if they don’t pan out? You’re sticking your head in the sand if you don’t think we took a step back this year. I don’t care what the rankings say (people only reference them when they fit their narrative) we missed on more priority recruits and the offer lists of our commits is weaker then past years. Seriously, name me more than 3 kids you are truly excited about that we beat out for legit talent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom