I'm in a show hole, need suggestions | Page 44 | Syracusefan.com

I'm in a show hole, need suggestions

We're watching This is a Robbery on Netflix about the 1990 art heist in Boston.

Lovin' it.

I finally came to Broadchurch. Binged all three seasons in two weeks. It’s not ‘great,’ but it is pretty good if you like British crime/detective shows. Olivia Coleman is wonderful—she’s probably the reason I liked it.

Mare of Easttown. I think I posted about that after episode 1, and it did not go downhill.

Jupiter’s Legacy. Interesting premise, but as the headline from a review said, ‘it just doesn’t make any sense.’

Good Girls. More of the same. This season has been a snooze.

Mosquito Coast. Undecided. Worth a watch.

Startup. I binged this. Hard. If you can get past the rigid, obnoxious stereotypes, it’s compelling stuff.

Finally getting to Yellowstone.

Into season 1. Beth is awesome
I just plowed through it all a couple months ago. It's completely ridiculous but entertaining.

Some of these Roku Originals (formerly Quibi) are very good, especially Dummy, Die Hart and Flipped. Very bingeable.

Stayed inside in the cold, rainy weather yesterday and discovered this show. Binged the first 6 episodes and only had to wait 24 hours for the finale. Thought it was excellent. Too bad it’s only a miniseries.
A great show. Kate Winslet INHABITED that character. I thought that Julianne Nicholson and Jean Smart also gave award-worthy performances. They sure captured the Delaware Valley perfectly. Seems like the entire cast drank Wawa coffee for rocket fuel.

Perfectly-cast. BTW, the actress who played the drug-addled young mom trying to get her life straight? Sosni Bacon. Yes, as in 'Six Degrees Of...'. She was fantastic as well.

I only wish that the visiting detective could have stuck around longer. He was an intriguing character.

I've lived in the area all my life. Didn't detect a single false note. I'm so glad I watched it.

I've been told for years that The Wire is one of the greatest shows of all-time. I finally started it and am two episodes in; obviously too soon to judge. The story is compelling, but does the dialog get any better? It has been cringeworthy. I feel like I am watching a George Lucas film.
"Who Shot Snot?" the first episode is epic.. Great cast. Later on, the fat sgt on the homicide squad gives a great eulogy in a bar for a cop who died. Great scene

Yeah that show was very good. Loved it
Interesting note. I met a couple who knew the family of the actual Nucky. Interesting

I am two episodes into Lisey's Story. I was not familiar with this Stephen King novel. It is decent so far. Episode 1 is a bit overwhelming, but I have settled-in. The performances are excellent as one would expect from this cast (e.g., Julianne Moore, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Clive Owen).

Binge Watch Report:

Watched the first four seasons of Better Call Saul. A very ambitious series, tracing the arc of the life of Jimmy McGill, who will eventually become Saul Goodman. Flash-forwards and flashbacks, featuring some of your faves from 'Breaking Bad', most notably Mike Ehrmentraut and Gus Fring.

Be forwarned: Although there are comedic elements to it, it is not a comedy. There's an absolutely brilliant performance by Michael McKean in the largely unsympathetic role of Jimmy's successful older brother and lawyer Charles McGill. An incredibly complex character. McKean has had quite the career, starting, of course, with Lenny & Squiggy on Laverne & Shirley.

Just binge-watched the final (?) season of Bosch. Bosch remains an intriguing character with his own code of honor, which gets him in trouble. It's an easy watch, and, if you like police procedural dramas replete with big city politics, It'll go down real easy.

The Sinner (on Netflix) - season one stars Bill Pullman and Jessica Biel. Pullman continues on for season two, hes a detective in a western NY town and has murders in each season to solve. Finished season one, just started season two. They did a good job in season one of providing clues without putting pieces together. There is some disturbing subject matter covered but it’s psychological in nature and not blood and gore type disturbing which I find tiresome.

The Sinner (on Netflix) - season one stars Bill Pullman and Jessica Biel. Pullman continues on for season two, hes a detective in a western NY town and has murders in each season to solve. Finished season one, just started season two. They did a good job in season one of providing clues without putting pieces together. There is some disturbing subject matter covered but it’s psychological in nature and not blood and gore type disturbing which I find tiresome.
There is a season 3 as well and imo it was the best of the three. It takes you deep inside the psyche of Pullman's character Harry Ambrose. Disturbing for sure. There's no way Pullman pulls it off without having some of what Ambrose has inside.

Some shows I've been watching lately (many of which have been touched on already):
  • Wandavision - I enjoyed the hell out of this. Takes awhile for it to turn into your usual MCU material, but the tributes to sitcoms from the past was so cool to me.
  • Falcon & Winter Soldier - Ehhhh. I like the main two characters, but you can tell the plot got messed up with Covid. Fun enough watch though; was basically an action movie in TV form.
  • Loki - Comfortably the best MCU show to date IMO and I can't wait to see how the movies springboard off of this.
  • Mare of Easttown - Sooooo much better than The Undoing, which was the somewhat similar vibe HBO show that we had watched before this.
  • Leverage - Rewatching it for my 3rd or 4th time while I get ready to watch the first new season of Leverage to come out in a decade! Cannot wait to get to it.
  • Invincible - Went into it totally blind but it's debut season was some of the most fun I've had watching TV in a long, long time. Makes sense that it was already renewed for multiple seasons because it's just incredible stuff. Warning for anyone that might care, it is extremely violent even if it's a cartoon.
  • Upload - Not sure how long it'll last, but the wife and I enjoyed the first season of this a lot. I know Season 2 is being filmed already so there will at least be one more season. I think it's made by one of the creators of Parks & Rec; not quite the same vibe. It's basically a lot of clever jokes and stuff about technology but it's very charming.

Some shows I've been watching lately (many of which have been touched on already):
  • Wandavision - I enjoyed the hell out of this. Takes awhile for it to turn into your usual MCU material, but the tributes to sitcoms from the past was so cool to me.
  • Falcon & Winter Soldier - Ehhhh. I like the main two characters, but you can tell the plot got messed up with Covid. Fun enough watch though; was basically an action movie in TV form.
  • Loki - Comfortably the best MCU show to date IMO and I can't wait to see how the movies springboard off of this.
  • Mare of Easttown - Sooooo much better than The Undoing, which was the somewhat similar vibe HBO show that we had watched before this.
  • Leverage - Rewatching it for my 3rd or 4th time while I get ready to watch the first new season of Leverage to come out in a decade! Cannot wait to get to it.
  • Invincible - Went into it totally blind but it's debut season was some of the most fun I've had watching TV in a long, long time. Makes sense that it was already renewed for multiple seasons because it's just incredible stuff. Warning for anyone that might care, it is extremely violent even if it's a cartoon.
  • Upload - Not sure how long it'll last, but the wife and I enjoyed the first season of this a lot. I know Season 2 is being filmed already so there will at least be one more season. I think it's made by one of the creators of Parks & Rec; not quite the same vibe. It's basically a lot of clever jokes and stuff about technology but it's very charming.
Great call on 'Leverage'. Always enjoyed that show. Might have to go back and rewatch...

Can't believe I waited this long to watch Electric Dreams.
First two stories were great, and now I discover Bryan Cranston in the third episode. I'm geekily excited.

Halt and catch fire... This thread is so long now, I'm not sure if it has been discussed.
Pretty interesting premise with attractive flawed characters.
I was surprised at how much I liked Halt And Catch Fire. It’s probably a little under the radar/under-watched considering how you’re the only one who mentioned it in this thread. I saw it on Netflix and decided on a whim to watch it a few weeks ago. The characters hooked me immediately. All are flawed like you said. And their relationships with each other are ever-changing.

Although it can get pretty technical, I don’t think that you really need to know a ton about computers to enjoy it. It’s really just about the dynamics between the 5 main characters and them pursuing their ideas and dreams. And it’s not much to commit to. Four seasons, 10 episodes in each. Most are around 40 mins long.

Even though the AMC logo flashes in the beginning, I might have guessed it was one of their shows. It just has the feel of one. Maybe not in the content, but in style, cinematography, etc. I checked and it looks like some of the same people that worked on BB and BCS were part of it

I’m sure I’ve missed this being discussed in the previous 43 pages, but…

My wife recently had us start watching Handmaid’s Tale… I don’t know that a show has ever made me feel more uncomfortable. We’ve plowed through 2.5 seasons in about three weeks. The entire concept is horrifying, but I think the show is very well done.

There’s so many subtle moments of symbolism and some great acting. It’s really outside the realm of shows I’ve jumped into before, but I’m definitely hooked.

I’ve enjoyed all of the perennials everyone here probably has - Breaking Bad, GOT, Sopranos, Entourage, Walking Dead, etc. etc.

I was surprised at how much I liked Halt And Catch Fire. It’s probably a little under the radar/under-watched considering how you’re the only one who mentioned it in this thread. I saw it on Netflix and decided on a whim to watch it a few weeks ago. The characters hooked me immediately. All are flawed like you said. And their relationships with each other are ever-changing.

Although it can get pretty technical, I don’t think that you really need to know a ton about computers to enjoy it. It’s really just about the dynamics between the 5 main characters and them pursuing their ideas and dreams. And it’s not much to commit to. Four seasons, 10 episodes in each. Most are around 40 mins long.

Even though the AMC logo flashes in the beginning, I might have guessed it was one of their shows. It just has the feel of one. Maybe not in the content, but in style, cinematography, etc. I checked and it looks like some of the same people that worked on BB and BCS were part of it
It has one of the best series finales ever

Any must watch shows on Showtime? Have it for a free trial for 2 months.