I'm in a show hole, need suggestions | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

I'm in a show hole, need suggestions

I went back and finished Boardwalk Empire after taking a long break towards the end of season 2. Glad I did. Very good show, overall. One of my early complaints was that they didn't feature Chalky White or Capone enough and spent too much time on Gillian and Margaret, but that was both rectified as they both got much more time, and it ended up making a ton of sense on why Gillian was so heavily featured.

I went back and finished Boardwalk Empire after taking a long break towards the end of season 2. Glad I did. Very good show, overall. One of my early complaints was that they didn't feature Chalky White or Capone enough and spent too much time on Gillian and Margaret, but that was both rectified as they both got much more time, and it ended up making a ton of sense on why Gillian was so heavily featured.
Yeah that show was very good. Loved it

Totally agree. I'd heard a lot of buzz, and figured with only 8 episodes it wouldn't take long to watch it. I really enjoyed it. I love that it was set in the 1980's. In a weird way it kind of reminded me of a creepy Freaks and Geeks.
"Sunglasses at Night" was released in 1984, but the show is set in 1983. I wish they were better with the details.

"Sunglasses at Night" was released in 1984, but the show is set in 1983. I wish they were better with the details.

Excellent catch! I knew they should've gone with Kajagoogoo!

Just finished watching Wrecked, TBS's Lost parody. I enjoyed it. Has some genuinely funny parts, does a nice job dismantling tropes, and gets surprisingly dark. Not one I'd watch with kids. Ten half hour episodes so it's easy to digest, and it's been picked up for a 2nd season.

Jeepers said:
Don't think anyone mentioned Black Mirror. Definitely watch that if you like Twilight Zone. I also like Alone on the History channel. Kind of like Survivorman, but in competition format (only watch it if you can find Season 1).

Black mirror has been really good so far. Looks like Netflix is set to release more episodes in October

Surprised no one has mentioned Turn on AMC, great under the radar show about the Culper spy ring during the American revolution. They just wrapped up season 3 in June and have been renewed for a fourth and final season. I think at least the first two seasons are on Netflix, I highly recommend it.

Yeah that show was very good. Loved it

Loved that show but the last season especially the last few episodes was way to rushed and I thought poorly written. They clearly wanted to wrap things up but did nearly everyone have to die? I was disappointed in a way to predictable ending.

Surprised no one has mentioned Turn on AMC, great under the radar show about the Culper spy ring during the American revolution. They just wrapped up season 3 in June and have been renewed for a fourth and final season. I think at least the first two seasons are on Netflix, I highly recommend it.

I completely agree, Jeremy. As a middle school SS teacher, it's kind of n my wheelhouse, so to speak. I'm so glad that it got renewed. Last I checked, you're right, the first 2 seasons were on Netflix.

Penny Dreadful is on Netflix now. Pretty cool show if you're into paranormal, dark stuff.

One of the greatest monologues I've ever heard is given by Frankenstein's "monster."

Penny Dreadful is on Netflix now. Pretty cool show if you're into paranormal, dark stuff.

One of the greatest monologues I've ever heard is given by Frankenstein's "monster."

Just finished the seasons they have on Netflix and really enjoyed it. Looking forward to season 3 which is apparently the last as the show was recently cancelled.

Anyone watching The Get Down on Netflix? It is obviously not an accurate nor historical telling of hip hop but it is quite entertaining. I am a few episodes in and love it.

For those still in a show-hole, I highly recommend Marcella on Netflix.

It's about a detective (Marcella) who recently returned to the force when new grizzly murders are being committed using the M.O. of the serial killer she was tracking before she left the job.

Highly entertaining!

Just finished Narcos Season 2. I really like the show. My main gripe would be the show making me feel sorry for a really bad guy. The guy killed thousands of people indiscriminately.

Last edited:
I am fully engaged in Black Sails on Starz. Organized crime show with pirates instead of gangsters. Almost through season 2 now. Very good show.

Just finished Narcos Season 2. I really like the show. My main gripe would be the show making me feel sorry for a really bad guy. The guys killed thousands of people indiscriminately.

I have the same issue. I literally caught myself rooting for the guy to escape one episode.

Is there a bigger bad ass than Carillo?

Anyone watching The Get Down on Netflix? It is obviously not an accurate nor historical telling of hip hop but it is quite entertaining. I am a few episodes in and love it.

It's mostly fiction, however the history they "created" is actually an accurate portrayal of the birth of hip hop / death of disco.

Mr Robot is okay.

Catastrophe is an okay comedy.

Both are better in their first season FWIW.

Glue is okay as well - if you like brit shows.

I'm continuing to get caught up on stuff I missed out on due to being deployed/busy in the Army. I just finished Season 1 of The Office and I can tell I'm really, really going to like it.

Watched "River" on Netflix. One season so far. Skellen Skarsgard his usual great job.

Also enjoyed "Hinterland."

"Republic of Doyle" is a guilty pleasure.

Now into "Wallander",with Kenneth Branaugh.