I'm not even worried | Syracusefan.com

I'm not even worried

OttoinGrotto

2023-24 Iggy Award Most 3 Pointers Made
Louisville wanted to put this away early, Jackson's a mutant, and we didn't have enough to stop it from happening.

I'm very encouraged by a few things. First, that we did have moments where we put them on their heels. I'm fairly certain that we put up some more points if not for some opportunistic cramping by Louisville. We played a much more talented team, and I think this game reinforces that we have some obvious talent gaps and are still learning how to play a new style of football.

Second, even though things went off the rails at the end, the ability to score kept is in striking distance, in spite of Louisville going bananas on us to start the game. That was an engaging game.

Third, we saw some guys make legitimate plays. I like the emphasis that's clear on ripping the ball out on defense, and a lot of what we're doing on offense is sound strategically, the execution just isn't quite there yet. That's going to come. Looks like we wore ourselves out.

Anyway, no need to wave the white flag. A bowl game is very much in reach. As much as Louisville is morally bankrupt they do have very good coaches and they have a crazy talent at QB. I know some people are flipping out over the defense, but you know what? If it actually still is bad, the crappy teams we play with crappy offenses aren't going to roll up big point totals on it. That's not how they want to play or what they're trying to accomplish. I'm very optimistic that even though we aren't quite ready to run with the big dogs, we're more than capable of playing winning football against most of the rest of our schedule.

In conclusion, I'll see Bobby Petrino in Hell.

There are 4 games on our schedule where you have to expect us to be big underdogs -- this was one of them. So, a L does not change much.

Still, some reasons to worry -- the injuries to Dowel & Cordy; no ability to run the ball; opposing receivers running open. Can't worry about Lamar Jackson -- if other teams have a similar QB, we aren't going to win. But most don't.

It's never as good as it appears and never as bad as it appears. We will bounce back next week.

OttoinGrotto said:
Louisville wanted to put this away early, Jackson's a mutant, and we didn't have enough to stop it from happening. I'm very encouraged by a few things. First, that we did have moments where we put them on their heels. I'm fairly certain that we put up some more points if not for some opportunistic cramping by Louisville. We played a much more talented team, and I think this game reinforces that we have some obvious talent gaps and are still learning how to play a new style of football. Second, even though things went off the rails at the end, the ability to score kept is in striking distance, in spite of Louisville going bananas on us to start the game. That was an engaging game. Third, we saw some guys make legitimate plays. I like the emphasis that's clear on ripping the ball out on defense, and a lot of what we're doing on offense is sound strategically, the execution just isn't quite there yet. That's going to come. Looks like we wore ourselves out. Anyway, no need to wave the white flag. A bowl game is very much in reach. As much as Louisville is morally bankrupt they do have very good coaches and they have a crazy talent at QB. I know some people are flipping out over the defense, but you know what? If it actually still is bad, the crappy teams we play with crappy offenses aren't going to roll up big point totals on it. That's not how they want to play or what they're trying to accomplish. I'm very optimistic that even though we aren't quite ready to run with the big dogs, we're more than capable of playing winning football against most of the rest of our schedule. In conclusion, I'll see Bobby Petrino in Hell.

Diaco looked at our 28 points and said "$hiite"

Otto's right. Louisville scored 41 points between the 1st 5 minutes of the game and the last 5 minutes of the game. Over the other 50 minutes of the game, SU outscored them 28 to 21. UL’s effort never wavered and they never let up at all. They were trying and they were slowly losing ground for 3 quarters. By the 4th quarter Petrino looked pissed when he missed that FG.

I'm proud of our effort tonight. What I'm most proud of is that we looked like the better conditioned team until the last 5 minutes.

UL started 7 seniors on offense tonight against an Orange D with no seniors. Quick and Staples will be playing on Sunday next year.

This is a marathon and I'm feeling really good about this team's future, not only next year but this season.

I am not worried about the offense. We will get our points and they won't be all field goals.
The defense is another matter. What concerns me is all the blown coverage that was not the result of the lack of pass rush. Lots of confusion out there. While this should get better with experience as the season goes on, our safeties and corners aren't going to get any taller or faster. That said, Babers has run this defense successfully and I believe he knows what he is doing. Ward will coach em up and going forward we will recruit the player's we need.

With respect to the rest of the season, we have the usual winnable games - Wake, UCONN, BC, USF, NCS and Pitt. We have to win all but 1 to go bowling. NCS and Pitt are two of the last three games and we should be better prepared by then. Not much room for error and an injury here or there could spell the difference.

Personally, I never expected much out of this season. When the staff scrambled to reassemble the recruiting class I thought we were in big trouble. Told me they didn't think much of the class or the players didn't fit the new systems.
(Imagine where we would be without Etta.)

We finally have a professional staff that has experience coaching together playing a winning system. I am just going to enjoy the offense learning and root for the D - after all, there is no quit in them.

Everybody relax, this was always a rebuilding season.
Go Orange!

Its tough to be a SU FB fan. So Congrads to all on this board for maintaining the positive. Unfortunately I don't see too many fannies in the dome for a while. It certainly isnt going to help losing a home field advantage.

Deuga said:
Otto's right. Louisville scored 41 points between the 1st 5 minutes of the game and the last 5 minutes of the game. Over the other 50 minutes of the game, SU outscored them 28 to 21.

Thank you for making me laugh this morning. It's not the fall that kills you, it's the impact.

I predicted Louisville would be as tough as any team we play. I expect them to beat fsu next week. They are loaded.

We have a coaching staff that is exceptional. We need more athletes in the trenches and at db's. We might sneak into a bowl this year will make one next year and will crack the top 30 in year 3. Things are looking up

I felt better after viewing the game a second time this morning. Just think Dungey had an off night. He's usually much more accurate and poised than he was.

I think the OLine's issues stems from not quite fully understanding the offense and their roles, which will come in time.

And the defense will get better with experience (no senior starters).

Still shocked the kick return game was so porous, though.

I predicted Louisville would be as tough as any team we play. I expect them to beat fsu next week. They are loaded.

We have a coaching staff that is exceptional. We need more athletes in the trenches and at db's. We might sneak into a bowl this year will make one next year and will crack the top 30 in year 3. Things are looking up

Not sure Jackson will be able to run as freely against FSU, but we'll see. Should be an awesome game. The other question: can the Cards corral Cook?

I felt better after viewing the game a second time this morning. Just think Dungey had an off night. He's usually much more accurate and poised than he was.

I think the OLine's issues stems from not quite fully understanding the offense and their roles, which will come in time.

And the defense will get better with experience (no senior starters).

Still shocked the kick return game was so porous, though.
Maybe Louisville was in his head a little bit since they ended his season last year?

Agreed that our return game is unimpressive.

Halfmooncuse said:
Its tough to be a SU FB fan. So Congrads to all on this board for maintaining the positive. Unfortunately I don't see too many fannies in the dome for a while. It certainly isnt going to help losing a home field advantage.

I think they will be missing out. Way more fun to watch your team no matter what, grind out from the bottom - than to hop back on late.

OttoinGrotto said:
Louisville wanted to put this away early, Jackson's a mutant, and we didn't have enough to stop it from happening. I'm very encouraged by a few things. First, that we did have moments where we put them on their heels. I'm fairly certain that we put up some more points if not for some opportunistic cramping by Louisville. We played a much more talented team, and I think this game reinforces that we have some obvious talent gaps and are still learning how to play a new style of football. Second, even though things went off the rails at the end, the ability to score kept is in striking distance, in spite of Louisville going bananas on us to start the game. That was an engaging game. Third, we saw some guys make legitimate plays. I like the emphasis that's clear on ripping the ball out on defense, and a lot of what we're doing on offense is sound strategically, the execution just isn't quite there yet. That's going to come. Looks like we wore ourselves out. Anyway, no need to wave the white flag. A bowl game is very much in reach. As much as Louisville is morally bankrupt they do have very good coaches and they have a crazy talent at QB. I know some people are flipping out over the defense, but you know what? If it actually still is bad, the crappy teams we play with crappy offenses aren't going to roll up big point totals on it. That's not how they want to play or what they're trying to accomplish. I'm very optimistic that even though we aren't quite ready to run with the big dogs, we're more than capable of playing winning football against most of the rest of our schedule. In conclusion, I'll see Bobby Petrino in Hell.

I listened to the game on Sirius with Louisville announcers, and although they were a clown act (or men dressed as clowns act) they were very complimentary of our team I thought.
the system is there, which they acknowledged. they also acknowledged the absurdity that is their QB.
regardless of butts in seats or whatever the fan base is, there are things to be excited about. the system, the young guys, the coaches. once we get the bodies in the back 7, we'll be fine. Louisville, love Petrino or hate him, is a monster of a team.
period

First, Bobby Petrino is a true

donkey-smile.gif

Not enough for him to coach his players to fake injuries to slow down the Cuse offense and then complaining to the media about how bad it is for fans to boo injured players, Bobby, they were booing you!!!
graphics-donkey-203156.gif

Keep on singing your sad songs Bobby about how terrible it is for you have to coach against s fast-paced teams.

From being in the
Dome and seeing first hand the entire game action other things are clear:

• The O-line needs work in both pass and run blocking.
  • We need an infusion of talent to play with the big boys of the ACC.
  • As Coach Babers said, during his initial press conference; this will take time.
  • We have a good coaching staff; witnessed when we look at WR, Amba Etta-Tawo In three seasons at Maryland, he tallied 61 catches for 938 yards and 6 touchdowns. While, in his first 2 games with the Orange he has 20 receptions, 313 yards and 3 TD's.
  • Some of our key players are on their 3rd system and are still in a steep learning curve.
  • Many of our current key players were in High School last year.
  • Looking at the remainder of our schedule there are enough win~able games to earn a bowl game.
Go Orange!

There are 4 games on our schedule where you have to expect us to be big underdogs -- this was one of them. So, a L does not change much.

Still, some reasons to worry -- the injuries to Dowel & Cordy; no ability to run the ball; opposing receivers running open. Can't worry about Lamar Jackson -- if other teams have a similar QB, we aren't going to win. But most don't.

I saw what happened with Cordy, looked like he took a helmet to the wrist.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom