I'm proud of this team | Syracusefan.com

I'm proud of this team

CardiacCuse

All Conference
Been a very hard season for a 1st year staff - with a lot of adversity - hasnt been perfect - but I think they have given their best (most of the time, anyway)

this team has found a way to battle and still be alive late in the year...with 20+ wins...pretty remarkable to be where they are right now, all things considered, imo

Ive been very critical in a lot of my posts throughout the season - some aspects of this season have been brutal - but overall the coaches and players have a lot to be proud of what theyve accomplished this year...

crazy to think that the next game could be the last...but I hope the season still has many chapters left in it!

Been a very hard season for a 1st year staff - with a lot of adversity - hasnt been perfect - but I think they have given their best (most of the time, anyway)

this team has found a way to battle and still be alive late in the year...with 20+ wins...pretty remarkable to be where they are right now, all things considered, imo

Ive been very critical in a lot of my posts throughout the season - some aspects of this season have been brutal - but overall the coaches and players have a lot to be proud of what theyve accomplished this year...

crazy to think that the next game could be the last...but I hope the season still has many chapters left in it!
I was actually thinking of posting something w/ these same sentiments. If you would have asked most fans before the season- you lose 2 of your top transfers, have a PF playing C, a wing playing PF, would you take 20 wins in the regular season, including a win over UNC, the overwhelming majority would take it and run. The guys have really battled (including in the last game) all year and I believe our arrow is pointing up. I appreciate all our guys.

Agreed. This team had a lot of flaws but won 20 and gave us a signature win over UNC when we had only a handful of ranked teams to play this year. Looking forward to seeing what else Red can do in coming years. Part of it better be getting a big man

Agreed. This team had a lot of flaws but won 20 and gave us a signature win over UNC when we had only a handful of ranked teams to play this year. Looking forward to seeing what else Red can do in coming years. Part of it better be getting a big man
The team far exceeded expectations, at least when looking at KenPom:
From Mike Waters’ mailbox:
Mike: I go back to the preseason when Ken Pomeroy, the noted college basketball statistician, projected that Syracuse would go 12-17. That prediction didn’t include second- and third-round games in the Maui Invitational because the opponents were unknown. The prediction at KenPom.com eventually moved to 13-18 when SU played first Gonzaga and then Chaminade. Think about that. Syracuse was predicted by a recognizable and reputable source to go 13-18 this season.

…using KenPom.com, Syracuse flipped predicted losses to LSU, Georgetown, Oregon, Pittsburgh (twice), Miami, NC State (twice), Virginia Tech, at Louisville and North Carolina to wins.

Syracuse lost one game that KenPom.com had down as wins in the preseason – Florida State.

I don’t know if any team in the country has out-performed its preseason prediction by as wide a margin as Syracuse has this season.

It has been a fun year for me as a fan. So many guys got better, now even Taylor has started to contribute some scoring. He is finding a role. Really has been a good group hope we can keep it together.

I couldn’t agree more. The team has had some ups and downs but has been exciting to watch. I don’t understand how much hate this team has received on this board. Way too many posts about how bad, selfish, etc., most of the players are and how they hope Red replaces them next year. While I hope we get some new talent, I would be very happy if everyone returned older, wiser and cagier. These guys exceeded my expectations from before the season.

Someone needs to tell the players that, so those who we need most to stay, will stay.

It has been a fun year for me as a fan. So many guys got better, now even Taylor has started to contribute some scoring. He is finding a role. Really has been a good group hope we can keep it together.
JJ improved and then regressed somewhat. He was initially awful.
Cope improved all around.
Cuffe waited for the last game to improve.
JT did not improve. He was mostly dreadful.
Bell improved a great deal., but has more to go.
Brown was never given a fair shot to show what he might have done at PF.
Judah did not improve.
As a whole the team improved but they had a ceiling due to being too small to rebound and only having one outside shooter. Given what they had it was a good season.

I had fairly low expectations for this team but the KenPom projections were ridiculously low.

With that said, I’m proud of the job Red and his staff have done with this team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom