I'm still worried about the inside game | Syracusefan.com

I'm still worried about the inside game

SmilinBob

Living Legend
SD State has a very good defense that I understand but when playing against good inside players does SU have what it takes to make teams adjust and not focus on Fair/Triche/MCW? When the Orange are in a half court fight and the other team is not turning the ball over thus no easy points, does this team have enough inside power to make a difference and get those guys to not constantly help thus forcing double teams of the 3 scorers?

I didn't see an inside move other than Fair that would demand help from another player.

SD State has a very good defense that I understand but when playing against good inside players does SU have what it takes to make teams adjust and not focus on Fair/Triche/MCW? When the Orange are in a half court fight and the other team is not turning the ball over thus no easy points, does this team have enough inside power to make a difference and get those guys to not constantly help thus forcing double teams of the 3 scorers?

It all comes down to DC - who really didn't get many opportunities to display his skills on Sunday due to the bizarre conditions and foul trouble. The only way to win that game was Triche/Fair/MCW attacking the basket, and that's what we did.

I just don't think Rak and Keita are in a position at this point to score on anything other than dunks or put-backs. If DC can have a back-to-the-basket game this season like an upperclassmen Arinze, we can absolutely go to the Final Four.

It all comes down to DC - who really didn't get many opportunities to display his skills on Sunday due to the bizarre conditions and foul trouble. The only way to win that game was Triche/Fair/MCW attacking the basket, and that's what we did.

I just don't think Rak and Keita are in a position at this point to score on anything other than dunks or put-backs. If DC can have a back-to-the-basket game this season like an upperclassmen Arinze, we can absolutely go to the Final Four.

Good point about the foul trouble and it seemed like Boeheim went back to his comfort level playing the older kids. What I'm hoping for is at the very least the put backs and good hands on quick passes when their man goes off them to stop the driver. I'd love to see Coleman be a pain for teams to defend and he seems like a better passer than Arinze.

Very hard to tell from the SDSU game. Coleman got the ball twice on the block and was agressively double teamed and Christmas did not get the ball passed to him in the post once.

Very hard to tell from the SDSU game. Coleman got the ball twice on the block and was agressively double teamed and Christmas did not get the ball passed to him in the post once.

Another good point since the outside games were avoided with the wind conditions being what they were. A lot of traffic under the hoop.

Absolutely. Be patient, Coleman will soon provide what you are looking for, and I believe over time we'll see Rak develop some post moves as well. And even if this doesn't happen, JB can still put four very solid offensive weapons on the floor in Triche, MCW, Fair and Southy -- it will be hard for defenses to take all of them away.

I'd like to see Christmas be more assertive offensively and that includes a 5-15' J. I agree he has to get the ball in the right places but I didn't see it in the exhibitions and if he wants to go to the next level he needs to do this.

Bob - I agree with you, there is something to be worried about. I think it will take time but DC2 will be incorporated as an offensive weapon through the season. It does not look to be there yet.

On the positive side, the SU floor is still good without him. Even without DC2's offensive game SU is a good squad as demonstrated with the SD showing. There is a veteran floor that is top 20. However the key to unlocking SU as a FF contender will be adding this element to SU's offensive arsenal.

I think we will see a rapid development and incorporation of DC2's post presence in the appropriate OOC matchups. I think JB will certainly want to add, trust, and use this weapon come March. I think it is a top priority and it will be interesting to watch it develop.

Not surprisingly my one-word answer was not enough. But I really don't see what the concern is here. As you said, SDSU is a very good defensive team. Even if a little undersized they are very quick and very athletic. With the unique conditions of that game, the only thing I can comfortably take away is our team’s strength of inside offense. This game was tailor-made for defenses to load the paint and say "here we are, try and beat us". And that is exactly what we did! I don't have the exact numbers but wasn't it 46 of our 62 points came in the paint? All this while DC spent most of the game on the bench. If teams want to try and focus on Fair or MCW or Triche... that’s fine! In a game under much more "normal" conditions, and even against a little bigger interior defense, we have a capable outside game that opens up driving and passing lanes. Sure there are still questions about whether or not DC has the offensive tools, speed and knowledge to get the job done and the only real concern I have is whether or not our bigs are developed enough to receive some quick interior passes. But my questions is, what have you seen that would lead you to believe that we DON'T have what it takes to battle and win offensively around the rim? This team has balance, shooting and power. If you're not convinced then just stay tuned. You'll see it soon enough.

To have a good outside game you need defensive players to sag and help inside and imo they don't have too. I understand that Christmas and Coleman are young but as for 2012/13 I don't see them as a threat or as aggressive offensive rebounders. I liked seeing Baye use his left hand in the exhibition games and that shows some growth but he still is relatively weak inside.

To have a good outside game you need defensive players to sag and help inside and imo they don't have too. I understand that Christmas and Coleman are young but as for 2012/13 I don't see them as a threat or as aggressive offensive rebounders. I liked seeing Baye use his left hand in the exhibition games and that shows some growth but he still is relatively weak inside.

I think you have that backwards. Defenses don’t wait for you to prove an interior presence and then “sag” inward to help. Certainly for zones and even for man-to-man defenses, as a general rule, the further from the basket, the looser the defense. Teams typically protect the interior primarily and make you prove your outside ability before extending. Anyway, I think the heart of your concern is will DC and Christmas be dominant, power interior players that necessitate double-teams. We don’t have nearly enough information yet to conclude either way. But, what limited action I’ve seen of DC, I’d say absolutely. Christmas still seems to let his mind get in the way and is reluctant to just let his body do what it’s capable of. But my confidence could not be higher. We have weapons, inside and out, this year just waiting to put on a show.

I think Coleman is going to start surprising people very soon. Patience.

Patience.

I take very little from that game. Also, Rak and Dajuan are both seeing major time for the first time. Takes time to get acclimated, especially for big men. Maybe rethink this if were having some serious problems after game 5 or 6.

Oh I agree that it'll take time and they can work out the kinks before the big east season. I don't see the kids in practice and they could very well be doing things I'd like to see from an offensive perspective. I see the talent and not pushing any kind of panic button, just an observation.

SDST overplayed our bigs and immediately collapsed to make them pass or create a turnover. Because of the conditions - and a huge foul discrepancy Coleman had nowhere to operate. With it clear that jumpshots and 3's weren't going to be there it kind of become like a 1st grade soccer match in the middle. When Coleman did get the ball he immediately looked to attack which I liked. He also had a series where he turned the ball over looking to kick it out. His mind is in the right place, he just has to work on where he needs to catch the ball etc etc.

Coleman's reputation coming in is an elite offensive player (scoring, passing, rebounding) who might need a bit of work on the defensive side. Rak and Keita didn't come to us with this reputation. Hopefully, these two will develop more on the offensive side. But, if I were to look at weaknesses of our game, this is one year where I wouldn't point to the post. We had a pretty adequate post last year and the difference is Fab vs. Coleman. Coleman has much better offensive skills, but he isn't there yet in terms of defensive presence. If Coleman and Rak are on the court together, I like this offensive/defensive production over last year.

Good Defenses play the greater threat and that comes from good isolation scoring and great shooting. They don't start one way or the other, they try to look better then you. In our case its alittle different because we play 2-3 zone daring them to shoot and if they do JB recruits the long guards to extend some. MCW and Triche both will extend for us this year and South if he plays the 2.

Rak is so freaking long out there he should be practicing on backing up his man and getting a short hook over them for a hour a day because this might be his last year in orange. He looks rediculously long and weights alot in strength. Plus we have Baye and Dajuan to back him up if he draws the occasional charge.

Dajuan is beating his first guy well. Hes getting to the low post off the dribble with his defender behind him to start. He needs to learn to beat the secondary defenders though. His initial defender is only going to get tougher to beat as time goes on.

For now though, he needs to stop worrying about being blocked, stripped, or drawing a charge and just bring the ball up high in the low post take it up strong and elevate. It doesn't matter how strong you are, its much easier to get fouled when you hold the ball is high in the low post. Especially for a big. Rick Jackson used to do the same thing and it would drive me nuts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom