I'm very happy with the win, and for the love of god Jim... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

I'm very happy with the win, and for the love of god Jim...

I hate that quote so damn much. Winning battles is great, it really is. But winning the war is what counts. I'm going to admit that I am an incredibly unsentimental fan. Maybe it's the Yankees fan in me. But in my mind, it's about next year. This is all selfish desire. But every single minute that BJ and Ron and Chino can get now only makes us that much better when a title is on the line.
Imo you do whatever it takes to win a title... Now if i could only figure out what that was exactly.
Let me give you an example. I do believe the development of a bench is huge in trying to win a title (altho not nec one individual game). But look at next years team potentially: G, Trevor, Kaleb, Ron, Malachi, Howard, BJ, Trob, McC, Cole, Chino, Diagne, Bryant (altho obviously at least one of those will not be here). Could I see scenarios where BJ, Ron and Chino are all key? Yes i could. But could i see scenarios where 2-3 of those guys dont play much at all? Yes i could too

And i dont like that quote much either, especially from a coach as bad as that guy. But i get why people repeat that quote so much. Competitors want to win every game

Good ole Roy has the opposite problem, a deep bench that he thinks he needs to play everyone. He played 10 yesterday, didn't let anyone get in a groove, and got spanked by NCState. His bench scored 2 points but played 40 minutes!

My only point is its very important to try and win the game in front of you but imo its even more important to try to build toward something down the line, ideally a title or championship.

I think its great to see a kid like BJ having the game like he did last night, could pay huge dividends next year. No? another poster asked the question, if TC hadnt hurt his back andor TRob hadnt got whacked against Pitt, would BJ have even gotten into that game? Prob not much. And if he doesnt play a big role in Pitt game does he go onto score 19 pts in our biggest win of the season, scoring 5 pts in the final min? Many on this board kept using the HEdwards mantra to justify why they didnt want BJ and RP to play much this season and how it was crazy for RP to take away mins from Trevor. But those two played a big role in our biggest win of the season and Despite the fact that RP took mins away from Trevor last night. Its tremendous to see a team do whatever it takes to win the game in front of them, but imo its even better to see a team improve over time. And when you look at the fact that we just beat our only two ranked opponents of the season, id say this team has improved quite a bit, this despite key injuries to McC and now Trevor.

And yes, of course Rak deserves every success the team can get for/with him. No question
I see your point of view. It didn't come across to me that way, so apologies. The way I see it, the light has gone on for BJ, at least in some small sense. And I hope it gets brighter. At this point, I have to trust what the coaching staff sees in practice (and hence, divvies out playing time accordingly). If this were a green staff (or one that did not have a track record), it would be more difficult to give them the benefit of the doubt.

I see your point of view. It didn't come across to me that way, so apologies. The way I see it, the light has gone on for BJ, at least in some small sense. And I hope it gets brighter. At this point, I have to trust what the coaching staff sees in practice (and hence, divvies out playing time accordingly). If this were a green staff (or one that did not have a track record), it would be more difficult to give them the benefit of the doubt.
I agree , JB clearly knows what hes doing and has Earned HOF but no one is perfect. I think its a fair question, if TC and TR dont get injured against Pitt, does BJ even play? If he doesnt play against Pitt does he help lead us to our biggest win of the season? We ll never know will we. Coaches dont get two tries at it, just one. And thats why you have to respect a Coach who has done it as well as JB has for five decades.

Keep playing the bench. I know this is going to sound weird but I don't care if it causes us to lose the next three games, keep playing everyone. Even Chino. There's nothing left to prove, if you want to go for the win on Senior Day fine, but keep playing everybody and see what you got and give everyone run. Experiment.
The current bench is three players, two of whom have been playing more than token minutes lately. If Christmas cooperates and can just get in early foul trouble, you'll get your wish.

Maybe it's semantics. I'm not sure it's so much as a "light going on", which to me means that something clicked on in his head, as it is the game slowing down for him, at least that's what it has looked like to me. Last night, he looked calmer than we've gotten accustomed to seeing him - nothing seemed forced. He let the game come to him. In fact, he reminded me a little of Moten out there in that respect.

playing the bench more does not mean we arent playing to win. Exhibit A: last night.
We were just fine with Trevor out of the game (for stretches). We were also fine (somehow) with Rak out.

We have D1 athletes on our team. We will not get crushed regardless of what combo is out there.
The original post, as I read it, was calling to develope players, even at the expense of winning. To that, I say no.

I think JB made it very clear in his presser how he decides who plays and when. He goes by what the doctor says in relation to injuries and unless the player says otherwise he's ready to play. He also said he is not going to substitute a lesser player (my wording) for the player on the floor.
Winning is what it's all about in any sport. Listen to his mantra on the presser. He's right.
Yeah, the question came up about Cooney playing hurt and JB basically said why would he go to 2 options that are shooting a worse percentage than the guy who's not 100%, especially when that guy ended up winning the game for us.
Also had a funny comment about Cooney's back - Said that Cooney said before the game it was feeling better, and after the game Cooney was saying it felt fine.

Jim Boeheim is a cantankerous, obstinate, stubborn old man who hates to deviate. His philosophy of "kids don't get tired" has won him many games, & he's not gonna change. The fact that Cooney is hobbling around on a bad back is totally unrelated, in JB's mind at least, to the fact that he's been run into the ground.
IMO, it's stupid- it's happened before in other years w/ other players getting worn down, but the man will. Not. Change.
It is what it is.:vomit:

So Boeheim is stupid. And you are smart?

So Boeheim is stupid. And you are smart?
Yes...and that's why I put "IMO" before making that observation.
No need to be so obtuse, & nothing is ever that simplistic.
Offering an opinion that differs doesn't mean I'm claiming any superiority over a HOF HC- even an idiot can see that.
No offense intended of course.

Last edited:
During his presser, JB made 2 points. to paraphrase; 1 Johnson wasn't even making shots in practice, now he is so he is getting more time. (also due to matchups like against BC) and Ron has been playing good D lately too. 2 on how he gets the kids up, he said that when kids go to the play ground for pick up games they aren't playing for a championship but they play all out. Every kids on every team plays hard even when their team is going now where.

You play to win, not to develop players because there is no guarantee those players will still be with the team down the road.

As far as those who think we "flamed out" late in the season because we are worn out? No, we flamed out because we were playing very good teams.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom