Impact of incoming SU freshman. ESPN INsider. | Syracusefan.com

Impact of incoming SU freshman. ESPN INsider.

s

• u

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Poll choice...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Yeah, their projected starters are a little...kooky. I don't see Cooney or Roberson starting over Silent G and Jerami.

I agree. However, if Roberson does impress enough to start over Grant...well i'll take that situation any day!
Agreed, I'll take that in a heartbeat if Roberson really is good enough to start over Grant. I'd almost prefer that, because then you have an experienced super sub at the 3/4 that we've grown accustomed to in our best years recently (CJ as a soph, KJ as a soph) to give us a spark off the bench in the frontcourt.

Agreed, I'll take that in a heartbeat if Roberson really is good enough to start over Grant. I'd almost prefer that, because then you have an experienced super sub at the 3/4 that we've grown accustomed to in our best years recently (CJ as a soph, KJ as a soph) to give us a spark off the bench in the frontcourt.
Right on the money. There's one every year or two it seems. It's going to be Jerami next, and possibly DC. The potential with this groups is overflowing; could be a real dark horse this year.

It's interesting. On paper, I honestly don't think the team fits together very well, but obviously we have to see if any of our guys make a big improvement and stuff. Talent wise, I don't really see a team outside of Duke that is better than us in the ACC, but obviously it isn't all about talent. I think we'll be in the 20-30 range next year unless Fair gets far better handling the ball or Ennis plays above my expectations which admittedly aren't as high as others here seem to envision.

It's interesting. On paper, I honestly don't think the team fits together very well, but obviously we have to see if any of our guys make a big improvement and stuff. Talent wise, I don't really see a team outside of Duke that is better than us in the ACC, but obviously it isn't all about talent. I think we'll be in the 20-30 range next year unless Fair gets far better handling the ball or Ennis plays above my expectations which admittedly aren't as high as others here seem to envision.

It is going to be interesting to see how a few things shake out. Can Gbinije come in and give us solid production as a 2? Does Cooney take the next step? Do fellow sophs Grant / Coleman make the "sophomore leap?" Does Rak show any improvement? How ready is Ennis to step in and perform at a high level? Can Patterson contribute, or is he a year [or more] away?

If a couple of things fall into place, then I actually think next year's team fits together quite well. But if the backcourt is a liability and we can't shoot, then I think your prediction will hold true. FWIW, my money's on the former.

It is going to be interesting to see how a few things shake out. Can Gbinije come in and give us solid production as a 2? Does Cooney take the next step? Do fellow sophs Grant / Coleman make the "sophomore leap?" Does Rak show any improvement? How ready is Ennis to step in and perform at a high level? Can Patterson contribute, or is he a year [or more] away?

If a couple of things fall into place, then I actually think next year's team fits together quite well. But if the backcourt is a liability and we can't shoot, then I think your prediction will hold true. FWIW, my money's on the former.

Yeah, so many question marks this year. We need either Ennis to step in and be able to penetrate and create right away or Fair needs to improve his ball handling so he can get his own shots. Regardless, it'll be a fun season. I expect them to exceed my expectations when it's all said and done, and I prefer that much more than falling short of expectations obviously lol.

Yeah, so many question marks this year. We need either Ennis to step in and be able to penetrate and create right away or Fair needs to improve his ball handling so he can get his own shots. Regardless, it'll be a fun season. I expect them to exceed my expectations when it's all said and done, and I prefer that much more than falling short of expectations obviously lol.

You can do that?...is that legal?

We have fouls to give and 3 good bigs with experience. Early on teams are least likely to shoot well from outside its good to own the paint on defense and maybe draw a foul or two with height inside.

You can do that?...is that legal?

Lmao, yeah I guess that doesn't really make any sense at all. I think they're more likely to exceed than to disappoint. How about that? lol.

I think CJ will be in the discussion for AA pre-season, but by the end of the season Grant will be in that discussion instead. Nothing against CJ, but I really see Grant exploding next year. No way Roberson beats him out for the start.

If barton transfers here. I think that answers the most glaring problem, inexperience.

Yeah, I'm with you and RF. It's been a little while since we've had so many question marks -- a frosh that we are literally banking on for 30+ mpg at the point, major question marks with two prominent bigs, and a seeming logjam at the 3 with Grant/Fair/Roberson (potentially) and no clear answer at the 2.

I also agree with the point that JB teams have to fit together a certain way to reach their potential and this group doesn't have that feel. My guesses for how it plays out (in games that matter):

Fair and Grant are on the floor together far more often than not. One at the 3 the other at the 4. The two are the top scoring options with Fair approaching 18 ppg and Grant at ~12-13 ppg. 30+ mpg when it matters and good two-way guys. Tough to keep either off the floor.

Keita is Keita and that's a good thing. When games matter we'll get a heavy dose of Keita and we should embrace that. Guy's a good if limited player.

Ennis will log a lot of minutes out of necessity and have a decent but by no means transcendent year. If he does truly excel that's great, but I'm thinking anything more than handling the ball, playing decent defense and keeping his turnovers more or less in check could be a tall order.

Coleman emerges as a nice scoring option down low but maybe only for ~15 mpg. Guy still has a really long way to go defensively. The one key here is that if he loses more weight and is a step quicker, he could become a big factor a la Fab in his soph. year. Big X factor here.

Christmas is Christmas, but that's not so good a thing. I like the kid, he has incredible talent and better-than-advertised skill, but I'm not sold on the desire being there to truly excel. We'll see, but he's a really tough guy to trust. JB's big on trust. That's not a good formula for big minutes.

Roberson gets Grant-type minutes. I hate projecting freshmen b/c it's a crapshoot, but Grant had trouble forcing his way into games when Southerland was healthy and I think Roberson will fight the same battle.

Gbinje -- No idea but I'd imagine he'll play a decent role based on the fact that I don't think JB would worry about bringing him in if he didn't think he could contribute right away. Can't project numbers but I'd guess no worse than splitting time with Cooney.

Cooney is the biggest X factor. Cooney's 12-13 is a difficult year to figure out. You look at it one way and think his form isn't real pretty (lots of legs on that jumper), his handle's shaky, his results were downright ugly offensively. But then you look at it and figure he shot the ball atrociously but it's likely to improve and otherwise he gave some quality minutes -- quick hands and good effort defensively, unselfish and few poor shots/turnovers etc. If all he becomes is a solid but unspectacular shooter (35%?) he's a valuable piece. My guess is that this happens and he plays a solid role in this rotation (15 mpg, 6-7 ppg).

Nothing for the rest of the group.

Rak starting at and getting any significant time at the 5 will not bode well for us. It's time he gets back to PF, the position he was recruited and intended for. I see great things coming from DC and his game (and energy) will fuel this team.

Starting lineup really should be-

PG) Ennis
SG) Cooney
SF) Fair
PF) Christmas
C) Coleman

Remember, our starters don't always get the lion’s share of minutes. I see plenty of time for Keita, Grant and Mike G. Roberson will see few minutes in-conference and none in the Tourney. That's not a knock on him but a testament to who he's behind.

Watching clips of Ennis in high school he has a knack at recognizing when a defender is a step offbalence and will take them one on one every time he sees it. Not even the best pg's can be taught that its just a natural confidence and skill. Ennis just finds it and exploits it always. And he has welcomed plenty of body contact for a high school pg which is a plus. That being said I see him thriving being close to his defender on the perimeter. He also has been called out for being very poised in pressure situations which includes things like keeping momentum after a run.

Its funny how many don't know about Gbinije and his pg skills. All he needs is Grant/Roberson/Rak to help from 12 feet out and we will have two point guards on the floor together. Especially against a zone that will be intimidating.

I really think Ennis as a pg, Fair as a scoring isolation guy who can back you down slower and looks to almost always score, Gbinije as a mixed pg/sg role and Dajuans ability to power step towards the basket after receiving the ball is going to intimidate and destroy on many levels.

My biggest worries are post scoring getting stopped against 7'0ers (dajuan will need help) and lateral guard defense up top.

I think everybody's ignoring the most obvious indicator of a future line-up: Boeheim. He doesn't waver. If he finds something that works he stays with it. He started Fab Melo for an entire season and yanked him every game. He then started DC until he lost his knee and yanked him every game and then he started Rak the rest of the season and yanked him every game.I don't know who the yank-ee is this season but my money's on Ennis with Gbinije/Cooney as a back-up.
1. In my opinion, the success of the team will ride on Cooney/Gbinije - Cooney will start. If Gbinije is good to really good, Cooney's time on the floor will be severely limited. Since he's not a liability defensively, Gbinije will be 7th man. I can see 15 ppg coming out of that position.
2. Unless I'm missing something. Ennis is anointed and will start from day one. I saw some of his high school games. Kid is good.
3. Boeheim rewards loyalty. Both Rak and DC will start. Because it's worked for the last several seasons, we always have arguably our best player (and scorer) coming off the bench gunning for 6th Man of the Year. Scoop, CJ, Dion, Sotherland.
JB's receives great press every year because he "really has 6 or 7 starters." Because Keita's in the mix at Center. Jerami's minutes will come from CJ and Rak.
4. JB's best man is penciled in for 34 minutes a game. That's CJ.
5. Unless one of the Frosh is the second coming of Melo. I don't see this cracked. One Freshman will back up forwards and maybe see 2 minutes a game and one will be fourth guard for another 4 minutes a game. The last will redshirt.
This is a really deep team.
So says LA.

I think everybody's ignoring the most obvious indicator of a future line-up: Boeheim. He doesn't waver. If he finds something that works he stays with it. He started Fab Melo for an entire season and yanked him every game. He then started DC until he lost his knee and yanked him every game and then he started Rak the rest of the season and yanked him every game.

JB does this with big men not guards. He plays three guards and they will all play heavy minutes. My bet is Ennis and Mike G get heavy minutes with Cooney Paterson and BJ battling it out for the third guard spot.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Here it is:
We had some BIG question marks last year.
MCW leading the offense? Almost everyone wondered, including me.
Cooney?
DC2?
Rak to show up?
CJ to lead us?
Triche? Triche? Triche? :)

It worked out better than nicely.

Bring on the questions. We will have the answers regardless of the fact that some of these questions didn't have incredibly great answers.

Here it is:
We had some BIG question marks last year.
MCW leading the offense? Almost everyone wondered, including me.
Cooney?
DC2?
Rak to show up?
CJ to lead us?
Triche? Triche? Triche? :)

It worked out better than nicely.

Bring on the questions. We will have the answers regardless of the fact that some of these questions didn't have incredibly great answers.
Our motto next year- you've got questions? We've got answers!

Our motto next year- you've got questions? We've got answers!
I think it's time to kick this up a notch.
You sir, are very good at your craft. Talkin' about you!
Now you might not ever win a Grammy. Probably not a Tony.

Otherwise, you got this brother.

teetrophy.jpg