In case you're wondering .. | Syracusefan.com

In case you're wondering ..

cto

Administrator
.. the Coronavirus will not stop the NCAA tourney. It may prohibit attendance, but it will not stop the tourney.

I'm counting on our opponents not showing up till then, I mean literally.

As much as I'd love to rail against the stupidity and ability to prioritize of the average American(recalling the great line from Gladiator, how you can lessen that quality of life of folks in every way possible if you keep them entertained, but it you take that away, they will finally come out of their stupor and revolt), why wouldn't they leave it open?

Ok, a bunch of people gathering. I suppose one could say the same about the international airport I was in a couple of days ago(and for bonus points of irony, the first time in ages that I had...an Asian sitting next to me, lol), and that's bringing people from such a variety of places that one would think the odds of someone being exposed to someone, etc, would increase. And the lack of fresh air for hours breathing in others' breath is worse than whatever possible venue the game is at(I didn't read the article).

Now if one was serious about this virus, they would do as other nations who are serious have done, and shut down international airports(despite the excuses). And maybe defend our own borders with our troops rather than whatever they're supposedly doing now.

After getting each new round of fearmongering, the people are getting the "boy who cried wolf" effect, whether or not this one is the one that will finally live up to the hype. Heck, the Brazillian Olympics got us a bonus round of that, if you recall. Go Orange, go common sense.

(As mentioned before: as a UFC fan, if I got a virus I'd rather it be from another Mexican Beer[which sponsors them], Modelo: Brewed for those with a fighting spirit. I think that slogan fits me on some days, lol)

A sporting event without a crowd is possibly the most useless thing I could ever imagine.

Back when sports were more pure, I might agree more. TV eliminates the need for that, though. A lot of money will still change hands, and to a lesser degree of importance(to those in control) some kids will also win a title belt.

I went to some Montreal Expos games right up to the bitter end.

It was proof that you could have events with nobody there. (Although the 1,500 or 2,000 people were there clanged the empty plastic seats really hard)

If you had some background music, and fake fan noise, it could probably work.

I went to some Montreal Expos games right up to the bitter end.

It was proof that you could have events with nobody there. (Although the 1,500 or 2,000 people were there clanged the empty plastic seats really hard)

If you had some background music, and fake fan noise, it could probably work.

I used to love going to Expos games in those years. Sitting right behind the dugout for cheap, and no lines to get a smoked meat sandwich in between innings - you could make it back and miss nothing.

Back when sports were more pure, I might agree more. TV eliminates the need for that, though. A lot of money will still change hands, and to a lesser degree of importance(to those in control) some kids will also win a title belt.

From the players’ perspective, it’s garbage, imo. Playing in front of a crowd is a big part of the appeal for an athlete. Will athletes boycott maybe the biggest tournament of their lives over it? No, but it would feel a lot less special; especially over an illness that’s equal to mild pneumonia, if that... unless you’re 85 years old.

You can’t underestimate the negative impact it will have on the appeal of TV viewing either. Part of the experience of watching a game on tv is the crowd. Not an insignificant part, either. Replace that with the emptiness of squeaking shoes and coaches yelling, and some fans watching tv are going to be less than engaged/entertained.

From the players’ perspective, it’s garbage, imo. Playing in front of a crowd is a big part of the appeal for an athlete. Will athletes boycott maybe the biggest tournament of their lives over it? No, but it would feel a lot less special; especially over an illness that’s equal to mild pneumonia, if that... unless you’re 85 years old.

You can’t underestimate the negative impact it will have on the appeal of TV viewing either. Part of the experience of watching a game on tv is the crowd. Not an insignificant part, either. Replace that with the emptiness of squeaking shoes and coaches yelling, and some fans watching tv are going to be less than engaged/entertained.

As noted, I didn't read the article. Why would people not go to the game? I stated reasons in my post why the thought was alien to me, but then again so is what so much of what the public is sold these days.

Writers need crap to write about, so I am not going to abandon common sense unless someone convinces me why I should.

Let me restate my question: Why would you close a sporting event, yet leave international flights going at full steam(and refuse to finally get finally serious about defending the borders until the virus isn't an issue) unlike some nations who take a more cautious approach?

I'm less worried about the impact of the virus itself than I am about the impact of our reaction to it. The virus might kill a lot of people but the reaction to it could bring down the world economy and that could kill even more people in the long run.

Without fans, there is no team.

I don’t know why but if the NCAA tourney was cancelled this year it wouldn’t bother like it really would in another season. Go ahead.

I don’t know why but if the NCAA tourney was cancelled this year it wouldn’t bother like it really would in another season. Go ahead.

Although I want to start by saying I realize that whatever happens effects a lot of others who are involved, I'd like to add that my personal feelings are similar to yours. Part is due to the team this season, and a decent chunk has to do with my own spot on my path as a person, and re-evaluating what is important in life(it's not necessarily related to the answer Conan gave in that famous scene, in my opinion).

Although I want to start by saying I realize that whatever happens effects a lot of others who are involved, I'd like to add that my personal feelings are similar to yours. Part is due to the team this season, and a decent chunk has to do with my own spot on my path as a person, and re-evaluating what is important in life(it's not necessarily related to the answer Conan gave in that famous scene, in my opinion).
I just have a hard time getting excited for the tourney if we are not in it. I’ll watch to cheer against teams I hate. I’ll be more excited for next summers TBT.

I just have a hard time getting excited for the tourney if we are not in it. I’ll watch to cheer against teams I hate. I’ll be more excited for next summers TBT.

I might have been different back in the day when I had that magazine in your avatar in my bedroom for a long time(love that avatar by the way...cant remember if I've expressed it yet, and I dont expect this will be the last time, heck of a form Billy used there)... Heck, even 5 or less years ago I may have felt differently about it, but whatever various factor's have changed my personal values on such. I make no attempt to promote it, just saying it is what it is, and the net benefit is more free time for me, less emotional attachment(maybe a somewhat Buddhist type of concept), and whatever else. I guess I'd give up the entertainment part, but if it feels right to go that direction, I suppose I can evaluate the differences from other years.

I hope I this reads well tomorrow if I log on and am more alert, lol. This might be the end of my grind for the night, if not much longer.

It took me longer than a number of others to get into TBT, but when I tried it, I liked it. Of course BA went to the final 4 that season, lol. Even re-evaluating that, now. I'm actually finding my spirit enjoying more freedom and less respnsibility. Blessings onto the whole lot of you, including good health in these times of peril and woe. I don't necessarily blame anyone for wanting to be more immersed in entertainment to defend against the constant onslaught of negativity some choose to expose themselves too, and some even embrace, neither aware of the very predictable consequences. Long live the Cuse, as well as the memories of fellow members who left before some of us.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom