In-depth Breakdown of MTSU | Syracusefan.com

In-depth Breakdown of MTSU

We Are Syracuse

All Conference
First things first, we are undefeated when I have done this. 2-0. So I feel if I didnt do this and we lost, it would be on me.

OFFENSIVELY:

• Against zone, MTSU is "Average" shooting 122-291 (42%)
  • in the overall halfcourt, MTSU is "good" shooting 753-1727 (43.6%)
  • IN transition, they are "very good" shooting 135-244 (55%)
  • They have faced 1969 (83.4%) possessions of man to man defense compared to 393 possessions of zone (16.6%)
  • On BLOB plays, they are ranked in the 97th percentile scoring 72-144 (50%)
  • After timeouts, they are excellent and ranked in the 85th percentile shooting 153-319 (48%)
  • Catch and shoot being guarded they are "excellent" shooting 129-330 (39%) which ranks in the 95th percentile. (Expect them to make their fair share of tough shots.
  • All Jump shots off the dribble they are "below average" shooting 95-291 (32%) MAKE THEM PUT IT ON THE DECK!
  • 54% of the time they take jump shots (87th percentile) and they are considered "excellent" in the jump shooting category, 5% of the time they shoot below 4 seconds on the shot clock, 5% of the time they take runners (vital to make against the zone), 33% of the time the shoot around the basket.
  • 3-point shooting they are "excellent" shooting 250-637 (39%) and rank in the 95th percentile. They also shoot a three in the half court 68% of the time!!!!!
Defensively:

• Defensively in the half court they are "Very good" holding teams to 670-1625 (41%) shooting
  • Transition defense they are average, holding teams to 125-238 (53%)
  • In their man defense, they are average holding teams to 458-1074 (43%)
  • In their zone defense, they are excellent holding teams to 212-551 shooting (38.5%)
  • IN PNR man defense, they are "excellent" holding teams to 36% shooting
  • Verse spot up shooting, they are poor allowing teams to shoot 243-597 (41%). This is because they allow a lot of penetration when they switch everything. Key today will be Silent G. He has to be able to take advantage of the mismatches and be solid decision maker when teams collapse on him. Guys have to make perimeter shots when they are open. HUGE key obviously.

This will be a tough game. Numbers do not lie. They excel in a lot of areas. Definitely a winnable game but we will have to play well to come out on top. They really have not faced a lot of zone this year. Only 16% of their possessions have been against zone. Lets hope they come out slow and we can take advantage early on. They have absolutely not seen a zone like ours. No disrespect to Rice.

That's good stuff. Where do you get that info from? Also I had to google what a BLOB was. Once I figured it out I'm sure we are less than 50%.

Great breakdown man. A few things that caught my eye;

- Since they excel at catch and shoot, but are below average at dribbling into a shot -- I suspect we will see a lot of shots off passes. This makes it more difficult to guard because you can move the ball faster passing than you can dribbling so if they shoot right off a pass, they might get very clean looks
- 5% of the time they take shots below 4 seconds on the shot clock. This seems like an extremely low percentage - to me this means they don't like being rushed. We can only hope that they take a while to navigate the zone, forcing them to take shots with the clock winding down, which they do not seem to be comfortable with.
- Defensively they appear average. We need all our guys to be on offensively today.

This is great information. But keep in mind, these stats are against C-USA competition and a very weak non-conference schedule. They only played one P5 team in the non-conference, beating Auburn in OT. And Auburn was awful this year. The only other tournament teams they played were VCU and South Dakota State, and they lost both games.

They clearly played out of their minds against MSU and I'm definitely not taking them lightly by any means. Potts terrifies me. But these stats may be overinflated based on the level of competition they've faced this year.

I assume most of the zone they faced was against Georgia State, who also play exclusively zone. MTSU shot 38.5% and lost 64-62. This was not last year's Cinderella Georgia State either- they went 16-14. So MTSU hasn't shown so far that they can torch a zone, but that doesn't mean they can't.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom