In honor of Friday’s game | Syracusefan.com

In honor of Friday’s game

Cuse1055

SU Video Maven
Here’s some highlight videos from the last time we played SDSU on the aircraft carrier. They don’t have the entire game but most of the highlights. From what I remember there were like 4 scheduled aircraft carrier games that year and the other 3 got cancelled either before or during the game at halftime due to conditions and condensation on the court. Definitely a unique experience.

Syracuse vs. SDSU hoops ('12/'13), 2012

That idea was clearly a case of “looks good on paper”.
I know this can't be true, but watching those highlights makes it look like the court was not regulation size. Too narrow. Players jammed together. Maybe the camera angle?

i just remember it being awful. kept wishing a pelican swoop in and would swallow a jump shot.
although i love the concept of an outdoor game on a carrier this was just bad basketball.

Last edited:
I remember many things about that game, very few of them basketball-related.

1. I had lost power from Super Storm Sandy for 10 days, but fortunately got it back right before I was scheduled to leave for San Diego (I would not have left my house if it had no power).
2. The game got postponed a day due to bad weather (so much for that song about the weather there).
3. Because of the postponement, SU got kicked out of its team hotel and was forced to find another one.
4. When I boarded a plane in NYC, I had no idea where I was going once I landed. Fortunately, by the end of my flight, they had found a new hotel.
5. San Diego harbor cruises are very interesting; you can watch Navy SEALS training in the water.
6. At the game, I was seated near Stephen Strasburg, an SDSU alum. He was very pleasant.
7. An outdoor basketball game ... on a ship... in bright sunlight ...when it is windy ... is not a good idea. Players had to look into sun while shooting, and the wind played weird tricks on the ball ... especially on 3-point shots.
8. SU adjusted better than SDSU, and took very few 3-point shots. SDSU, in the other hand, kept taking them ... and made something like one out of 18.
9. SU won.

Last edited:
I remember many things about that game, very few of them basketball-related.

1. I had lost power from Super Storm Sandy for 10 days, but fortunately got it back right before I was scheduled to leave for San Diego (I would not have left my house if it had no power).
2. The game got postponed a day due to bad weather (so much for that song about the weather there).
3. Because of the postponement, SU got kicked out of its team hotel and was forced to find another one.
4. When I boarded a plane in NYC, I had no idea where I was going once I landed. Fortunately, by the end of my flight, they had found a new hotel.
5. San Diego harbor cruises are very interesting; you can watch Navy SEALS training in the water.
6. At the game, I was seated near Stephen Strasburg, an SDSU alum. He was very pleasant.
7. An outdoor basketball game ... on a ship... in bright sunlight ...when it is windy ... is not a good idea. Players had to look into sun while shooting, and the wind played weird tricks on the ball ... especially on 3-point shots.
8. SU adjusted better than SDSU, and took very few 3-point shots. SDSU, in the other hand, kept taking them ... and made something like one out of 18.
9. SU won.

:)

I always loved the top picture here. CJ's salute was more of a "hey look I see you in the distance" but it still counts.

1615918527978.png

Did not remember Dick Enberg(RIP)and Steve Kerr doing that game.

The wind had a huge effect that day. We just won with superior athleticism.

The shadows on the court were something else.

I remember watching that game and thinking that the team was gonna be dangerous! and they were.

Here’s some highlight videos from the last time we played SDSU on the aircraft carrier. They don’t have the entire game but most of the highlights. From what I remember there were like 4 scheduled aircraft carrier games that year and the other 3 got cancelled either before or during the game at halftime due to conditions and condensation on the court. Definitely a unique experience.

Lol thank you for posting this. Our team was disgustingly good that year.

Lol thank you for posting this. Our team was disgustingly good that year.

Crazy thing is I went into that season with lower hopes and expectations than the previous season after losing Dion, Fab, Scoop, and Kris. Just shows how stacked we were and how easily we re-loaded.

I was there and it was super fun weekend in SD, but the conditions were laughable. The court was on a slant

they used 3 centers

i just remember it being awful. kept wishing a pelican swoop in and would swallow a jump shot.
although i love the concept of an outdoor game on a carrier this was just bad basketball.

I recall the Suns playing an outdoor preseason game at Indian wells .. it was pretty cool

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom