In the final regular season AP top 25 poll we played 6 of those teams | Syracusefan.com

In the final regular season AP top 25 poll we played 6 of those teams

Alsacs

Living Legend
2016 NCAA College Football Polls and Rankings for Week 14 - ESPN

With the roster we have and the rebuilding project we are going thru. That we won 4 games when half of our regular season schedule is ranked is insane.
We played an insane schedule.
We played the only 2 ranked Coastal teams.
We played Clemson, Florida State, Louisville
And for good measure we played 10-2 #25 South Florida.
We also played a talented underachieving Notre Dame.

Our schedule was too tough for the talent we currently have.

Meanwhile my Gator friends only played 2 of them... 1 from the ACC. Vewwy stwange...

"But our team's are so tough that we knock each other down..."

Meanwhile in another thread people want a tougher schedule...

What I'm reading from a few relative to tougher scheduling is borderline unbelievable. It's our scheduling that has us stuck in neutral for last xx years. We schedule like we're in consideration for the playoff. Right now 6 wins sounds glorious, we can revisit in a few years. Bite the bullet schedule easier, be 4-0 entering October. Get fans back with wins.

Four games where the litmus test for me.
  • Colgate - passed
  • UCan't - passed
  • Wake Forest - failed. ( hurricane *)
  • Boston College - passed
Bonus *** Virginia Tech

Sign me up !!! Lets to Orange.
Early on I thought S. Fla. was a litmus test. I didn't have much hope for a bowl after we coughed up a 17-0 lead in what seemed like a few nano-seconds.

The schedule is brutal and it will be more difficult next year. But three of our wins were against UConn, Colgate and Boston College. Not exactly tough competition. And we barely beat both Boston College and UConn. Let's not make it something it wasn't.

The schedule is brutal and it will be more difficult next year. But three of our wins were against UConn, Colgate and Boston College. Not exactly tough competition. And we barely beat both Boston College and UConn. Let's not make it something it wasn't.
Take anything positive and immediately quash it. That's the Syracuse way!

Agree 100%, we were curb stomped by every legit team other than the VT win. Also, I think the offense has great potential but if you look at the TD's scored this year versus last year, it's not really all that different. Lots of yards,potential I get it and I believe we will score more points next year for sure but you have to look at this year for what it was and we are gutting this thing and starting over. Like I said, Dino was nothing better than mediocre overall this first year and if he goes 4-8 next year, year 3 may be make or break for him because yet again people will be calling for his head if he doesn't make a bowl year 3... wash, rinse, repeat. World we live in, I guess but this is probably a 4 year process, when this years class are seniors, only then can we truly decide if Dino will be successful I can see year 3 but certainly not first 2 years

Not to mention an insane schedule against teams loaded with NFL talent leads to more injuries for our guys who are undersized and overmatched right now.

3 star freshman and sophomores vs 4/5 star juniors and seniors... And we wonder why we can't stay healthy.

It's not just the automatic losses we accumulate playing one of the toughest schedules in the country every year, it's also the cumulative effect of injuries that hinders us from gets W's in winnable games and staying competitive against the top teams.

Take anything positive and immediately quash it. That's the Syracuse way!

I think people have been very positive on Dino much like they were with Marrone after year 1. I personally think Marrone may have inherited a better roster than Babers from 1-25. No depth for either and Marrone had some real duds that he basically showed the door but this roster outside of 10-12 guys is pretty bad, remember our best receiver was not here pre Dino

I think people have been very positive on Dino much like they were with Marrone after year 1. I personally think Marrone may have inherited a better roster than Babers from 1-25. No depth for either and Marrone had some real duds that he basically showed the door but this roster outside of 10-12 guys is pretty bad
I listened to our radio guys while on the road for the FSU game. They actually made it a point to highlight 2 players on our defense. The reason for that highlight?.. They could play, at least in rotation, for anyone in the ACC.

That gives you some perspective on what Dino was working with on defense (even though I still hate his scheme)

I think people have been very positive on Dino much like they were with Marrone after year 1. I personally think Marrone may have inherited a better roster than Babers from 1-25. No depth for either and Marrone had some real duds that he basically showed the door but this roster outside of 10-12 guys is pretty bad, remember our best receiver was not here pre Dino

I agree, those who say we have talent look at it like a basketball roster, not football.

I'm very much on the "Shafer couldn't recruit" bandwagon. However, I don't think this season was the disaster a subset on this board is making it out to be.

Which posters want a tougher schedule?

You for one. :) . We have 4 chances to schedule wins, the rest of it is tough tough tough. To get smoked by some SEC school while we basically play SEC schools in conference isn't helpful.

We have plenty of posters here for instance mocking NC State. I had to sit through a 3.5 hour sunstroke November day watching them outsize and outmuscle an 8-4 UNC team all over their field. Our conference and out side is beyond where we are today. Why make it harder. Give the posters here who get cranky about the southern conference thing a chance to see us in Mass, Conn, Buff and the Hudson Valley.

In the Big East I was all for it, when the glamor team in conference was Cincinnati and the cash situation was dire.

You for one. :).

Ugh, I was worried you were going to say that.

My exact words in that thread (post #48): "Which is why the formula of 1 FCS + 2 winnable FBS games + 1 big time showcase game is perfect every year."

That is exactly what we did this year, and is exactly what we're doing next year. So how does mean I want a "tougher" schedule? I want the status quo.

My exact words in that thread (post #48): "Which is why the formula of 1 FCS + 2 winnable FBS games + 1 big time showcase game is perfect every year."

That is exactly what we did this year, and is exactly what we're doing next year. So how does mean I want a "tougher" schedule? I want the status quo.

In the debate of the LSUs of the world verses some northeastern tomato can you pick...

We don't mean you want tougher than the current scheduling philosophy, we mean tougher than other schools in our current predicament. A lot of posters, me included, want the P5 game to be against a Kansas/Illinois/Purdue etc, not suicide missions against LSU, Wisconsin etc. We do have Maryland scheduled down the road, and that is fine. LSU? Wisconsin? um, no.

We don't mean you want tougher than the current scheduling philosophy, we mean tougher than other schools in our current predicament. A lot of posters, me included, want the P5 game to be against a Kansas/Illinois/Purdue etc, not suicide missions against LSU, Wisconsin etc. We do have Maryland scheduled down the road, and that is fine. LSU? Wisconsin? um, no.

We don't play Wisconsin until 2020 and 2021. Are you that pessimistic about Babers and the trajectory of our program that we can't play quality teams in 5 years? Should we just shut this thing down?

We don't play Wisconsin until 2020 and 2021. Are you that pessimistic about Babers and the trajectory of our program that we can't play quality teams in 5 years? Should we just shut this thing down?

No, but we were able to schedule LSU very close in, if we are where we need to be in a few years then start scheduling up then. I will worry about college football playoff implications if/when we get there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom