Indoor Facility Update | Syracusefan.com

Indoor Facility Update

OrangePA

Hall of Fame
The Orange Club has confirmed that the project is approved and will move forward.

The facility will be 120 yards long with room for fans and coaches to watch from the sideline areas.

It will likely be a field house with an office or two but will likely not be the equivalent of the Melo Center.

It will not replace any existing facilities but will apparently be built adjacent to Coyne Field in the parking lot - though that part of the discussion was not all that clear to me.

I urged the Athletic Department to add a section to the Athletic Department Website Home Page dedicated specifically to fundraising for the new facility.

The folks at the Orange Club will likely be watching this board, so join in and add your voice regarding the need to use the website to raise money for the project and to offer your support.

It 's 2013 use the freakin website Home Page already!

My thing is just don't be cheap with it. If you're going to make an IPF then you might as well get some of the bells and whistles because that is what sells the program to a lot of these 17-19 year olds. Coming from a 20 year old, I certainly can attest to this fact. It's not how it should be but it is what recruiting today is founded on today, facilities are key and kids like new things to show off.

They could use a donation page because my dad, a former SU player, would almost certainly donate but he never hears from the school and he isn't too up to date with new things on campus so he misses the news.

Again this is exciting news. Just another step in the right direction. Very promising times ahead.

If they make it easy, I'm in for $44 a month. I know it's not much but every bit helps, I'm sure. I heard 17m... Is that true?

The Orange Club has confirmed that the project is approved and will move forward.

The facility will be 120 yards long with room for fans and coaches to watch from the sideline areas.

It will likely be a field house with an office or two but will likely not be the equivalent of the Melo Center.

It will not replace any existing facilities but will apparently be built adjacent to Coyne Field in the parking lot - though that part of the discussion was not all that clear to me.

I urged the Athletic Department to add a section to the Athletic Department Website Home Page dedicated specifically to fundraising for the new facility.

The folks at the Orange Club will likely be watching this board, so join in and add your voice regarding the need to use the website to raise money for the project and to offer your support.

My thing is just don't be cheap with it. If you're going to make an IPF then you might as well get some of the bells and whistles because that is what sells the program to a lot of these 17-19 year olds. Coming from a 20 year old, I certainly can attest to this fact. It's not how it should be but it is what recruiting today is founded on today, facilities are key and kids like new things to show off.

They could use a donation page because my dad, a former SU player, would almost certainly donate but he never hears from the school and he isn't too up to date with new things on campus so he misses the news.

Agreed. We've covered all this before, but blow people away with it. I'd rather they take an extra year if it means something unique. No, that doesn't mean things like tvs in front of the toilets. At the very least, make it look stellar from the outside.

Maybe hire a landscaper to make a gathering spot around there. Like a mini-quad.

So it sounds like it will be a larger version of what they have now only brand new. Everything else will stay where it it such as the weight room, lounge etc. Someone had said the new facility would be all inclusive.

If what you say is true, and I expect it is, it's clear the cost will be far less than what was originally thought and why the risk of raising the money is greatly reduced.

Sent using my Commodore 64 on Tapatalk 5.3

Imo, this is a troubling theme we've been hearing about over the last few months.

Hell, I've lived in 3 different states since I graduated from college...but they always seem to find me during their donations drives. Why in the he!! the SU Athletic Department doesn't reach out to ALL former players is beyond comprehension.

I've let my Orange Pack (or whatever it's called now) membership lapse as I have been sending tuition checks to SU for two kids. But, it has always surprised me that I never get contacted for any athletic fundraising (I do donate to an academic department).

My initial impression is that this project is being designed with the aim of being a smart investment in the future of SU athletics as well as an investment in the future well-being of the university as a whole. This looks like an attempt to make an appropriate and necessary addition to the university without reacting impulsively to the arms race going on all over the country.

I'm excited and happy with this response to the competitive environment, and I look forward to learning more about this project!

So it sounds like it will be a larger version of what they have now only brand new. Everything else will stay where it it such as the weight room, lounge etc. Someone had said the new facility would be all inclusive.

If what you say is true, and I expect it is, it's clear the cost will be far less than what was originally thought and why the risk of raising the money is greatly reduced.

i was told the cost will be around $13M-$14Mil. Location on the old Coyne field. Will probably just have to wait until the announcement to get the details. Maybe some of our construction experts could add more on what could be built for that amount of cash. Glad to hear its a full 120 yards.

Imo, this is a troubling theme we've been hearing about over the last few months.

Hell, I've lived in 3 different states since I graduated from college...but they always seem to find me during their donations drives. Why in the he!! the SU Athletic Department doesn't reach out to ALL former players is beyond comprehension.

I work in higher ed fundraising, and while we are certainly diligent in keeping alumni databases up-to-date, it is impossible to have 100% accuracy. Sometimes people get lost and we can't find them, and the only way they get un-lost is if they reach out to us in some form.

They absolutely need to get the message out that they have a great plan in place and alums/fans/community members can play a major role. Make it easy for people to donate. Love all the $44 ideas. Think big SU!

The odd thing is that they used to call 5-8 years ago because I remember Syracuse University always popping up on the caller ID but over the years it has dwindled and for the past 3 or so there hasn't really been one.

The odd thing is that they used to call 5-8 years ago because I remember Syracuse University always popping up on the caller ID but over the years it has dwindled and for the past 3 or so there hasn't really been one.

Different schools have different policies. Some schools will take you off the call list if you haven't donated in say 5 years.

Here's an idea to get the ball rolling with some momentum. There are 2385 members on this site. Multiply that by $44 and we have a grand total of $104,940. Provide a monthly,or quarterly auto pay option and it grows exponentially. See if we can create some sort of PayPal link with the Orange Club and get a dedicated mention on their page. This has to be doable somehow.

I had the total budget as 18-20m. I heard that this was approved last fall by the BOT and did not have a thing to do with DM leaving but that DM did have a lot to do with it being approved as he really pushed hard. I believe it is going to be spectacular and i also believe there is funding in place to take care of the medical facility.

I had the total budget as 18-20m. I heard that this was approved last fall by the BOT and did not have a thing to do with DM leaving but that DM did have a lot to do with it being approved as he really pushed hard. I believe it is going to be spectacular and i also believe there is funding in place to take care of the medical facility.

So which is it? Is it going to be the all encompassing facility a few here said or the practice field only facility that OPA mentions? Huge difference in cost.

I hope so kcsu,

So which is it? Is it going to be the all encompassing facility a few here said or the practice field only facility that OPA mentions? Huge difference in cost.

Not sure just that i heard the budget amount and that it was really going to be top shelf. It doesnt seem to make sense to re do the locker rooms and weight rooms based on the fact that they are new. I have no idea just had heard and actually sent you a message that the project was a go. I have no idea how much something like this cost but i would think that 18m buys a heck of a lot more than steel and field turf.

I've let my Orange Pack (or whatever it's called now) membership lapse as I have been sending tuition checks to SU for two kids. But, it has always surprised me that I never get contacted for any athletic fundraising (I do donate to an academic department).
Ok you have a somewhat acceptable reason. :D

Here's an idea to get the ball rolling with some momentum. There are 2385 members on this site. Multiply that by $44 and we have a grand total of $104,940. Provide a monthly,or quarterly auto pay option and it grows exponentially. See if we can create some sort of PayPal link with the Orange Club and get a dedicated mention on their page. This has to be doable somehow.

Already being worked...I'm hoping to get link set up for all of use to donate to the fund and receive individual credit as well as group credit to the board. The idea is to collectively get a naming rights representing our sports forum here for something: so far I haven't heard back with an answer. IMHO they liked the idea but I think they are very busy and it will be done eventually. If the release is next week...they better have something within a week or two.

Already being worked...I'm hoping to get link set up for all of use to donate to the fund and receive individual credit as well as group credit to the board. The idea is to collectively get a naming rights representing our sports forum here for something: so far I haven't heard back with an answer. IMHO they liked the idea but I think they are very busy and it will be done eventually. If the release is next week...they better have something within a week or two.
Let me know how to send the money so the FM gets credit.