Insteresting contrast in SI's coverage of the semi-finals | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Insteresting contrast in SI's coverage of the semi-finals

Oregon just doesn't look the same without V. Adams, Jr. and especially with the replacement center. TCU looks like they have a shot here.

Gives some perspective to SU playing 7 starting QB's over the last 3 years. The starter goes out and even their high flying offense goes to $h1t, same with TCU. Let's have them put in their 3rd or 4th string QB and give it a whirl. That's what we have been dealing with.

That's the point you are missing. Texas, USC, Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan, Alabama, LSU, Oklahoma, etc. are 5 star programs no matter how many wins they get each year. They can do really crappy, like Michigan for the last 3-4 years and they are still better programs than Clemson and Baylor and always will be.

Yeah that point eludes me. Maybe because it's kinda goofy.

Gives some perspective to SU playing 7 starting QB's over the last 3 years. The starter goes out and even their high flying offense goes to $h1t, same with TCU. Let's have them put in their 3rd or 4th string QB and give it a whirl. That's what we have been dealing with.

And everything would have been great if we didn't lose any QBs. C'mon now.

I can tell you're a glass full kind of guy. I like it.
I can tell you're a glass full kind of guy. I like it.

You have to admit this game has turned interesting at 31-17 in the 3rd quarter. Oregon needs to find a way to move the ball on this possession. Oregon played poorly without Adams, Jr. earlier in the season which I don't need to tell you, and it's happening again.

Update- Oregon is cratering, it's 31-28 now, and the Oregon replacement center is unable to snap the ball.

Update- Oregon is cratering, it's 31-28 now, and the Oregon replacement center is unable to snap the ball.

Haha great call. Who do you like in the 5th at Santa Anita?

In that last drive TCU's clock management was horrible. Then they kick off to a game breaker.

And Oregon firing passes out of bounds to stop the clock was nuts too.

Haha great call. Who do you like in the 5th at Santa Anita?

In that last drive TCU's clock management was horrible. Then they kick off to a game breaker.

And Oregon firing passes out of bounds to stop the clock was nuts too.

Not only was Oregon shaky earlier in the year with a backup QB, but tonight their backup center struggled mightily. If you are Oregon you have to have a backup center that can stand in and make the snaps. I'm glad I'm not an Oregon fan tonight that's for sure. The Ducks shaky play earlier in the season when Adams, Jr. was out was a major reason why I felt that the Pac12 was down a little compared to last season, and tonight Oregon lost Adams Jr. again, and they lacked the discipline to hold on to a 31 point lead. I always felt Arizona State would lose tonight, and it looks that way early. Bad night for the Pac12.

bpo57 said:
Haha great call. Who do you like in the 5th at Santa Anita? In that last drive TCU's clock management was horrible. Then they kick off to a game breaker. And Oregon firing passes out of bounds to stop the clock was nuts too.

I thought TCU's clock mgmt was fine. But the 3rd and 1 call was dumb. Run for the first, you've got 25 seconds to get 3 yards, leaving Oregon no time at all.

Instead they call that stupid roll out pass.

But in the end, an Oregon mistake on a snap killed them.

I thought TCU's clock mgmt was fine. But the 3rd and 1 call was dumb. Run for the first, you've got 25 seconds to get 3 yards, leaving Oregon no time at all.

Yeah at about 2:01 TCU called a very foolish TO (for no reason) that they dearly needed a few moments later as they were stuck on 3rd down where they had to pass cuz they had no TOs. I don't remember the complete sequence on that last drive in regulation to tie it at 31 but there were a few questionable decisions there.

Not only was Oregon shaky earlier in the year with a backup QB, but tonight their backup center struggled mightily. If you are Oregon you have to have a backup center that can stand in and make the snaps. I'm glad I'm not an Oregon fan tonight that's for sure. The Ducks shaky play earlier in the season when Adams, Jr. was out was a major reason why I felt that the Pac12 was down a little compared to last season, and tonight Oregon lost Adams Jr. again, and they lacked the discipline to hold on to a 31 point lead. I always felt Arizona State would lose tonight, and it looks that way early. Bad night for the Pac12.

The Pac12 had a very deep conference this year but also a very weird one. From night to night you never knew what you were going to get out of Utah, UCLA, USC, Oregon. They were all crazy up and down.

But if they get stuffed on the run then it is highly questionable they get the FG unit on to make the tying FG as there was :23 left.

The Pac12 had a very deep conference this year but also a very weird one. From night to night you never knew what you were going to get out of Utah, UCLA, USC, Oregon. They were all crazy up and down.

So true. A little soft at times but very talented. The problem with Oregon's backup center was downright painful to watch. That kid would go back to the sideline after a failed offensive series usually involving an erratic shotgun snap or two, and he looked absolutely helpless. His teammates and coaches did everything they could to support him and give him confidence, but he just couldn't snap the ball to the QB consistently no matter what. I've never seen anything like that at that level where one team is rolling and then an injury to the center derails them. I think the Oregon backup QB would have managed otherwise because all they needed throughout the second half was a few more first downs and possibly a field goal and they often had nice field position.

Bad finish to bowl season for the Pac12, but 6-4 is still fine and I think Washington is coming with Chris Peterson and USC will improve and Stanford even with a new QB will be very good and there are others. The B1G will be better with Penn State becoming a full roster, Michigan continuing to develop, and Ohio State being very hungry. And of course the SEC west will be very good, but there is a lot of change in that conference which will be fun to watch. The ACC despite the bowl results this year is definitely improving, and I hope Charlie Strong has a Charlie Strong defense at Texas along with some improvement on offense which I think would be good for the Big 12. College football is great, and every year I love bowl season even if some of the games are blowouts. Looking forward to next season already.

Last edited:
Yeah at about 2:01 TCU called a very foolish TO (for no reason) that they dearly needed a few moments later as they were stuck on 3rd down where they had to pass cuz they had no TOs. I don't remember the complete sequence on that last drive in regulation to tie it at 31 but there were a few questionable decisions there.

Yeah, now that you mention it, I do remember that first timeout seeming like they were jumping the gun. They were probably surprised they still had 2.

Oregon's play in the last 5 minutes of the 4th quarter resembles how the SU hoops team closes games. Literally everything they did was wrong. Terrible defense, then going all in an on onsides kick, which ended up giving them the ball at the 9, then throwing two low % passes for incompletions.

I bet there are a lot of worried Oregon fans today. They don't look at 9-4 seasons the way we would. Plus how they lost that game. The end I just mentioned, all the confusion lining up in overtime.

I said it earlier and will say it again ... its the SEC and then everyone else.