"Interesting" fact while going through orangehoops | Syracusefan.com

"Interesting" fact while going through orangehoops

H

HOFCeluck

Calhoun has been BE COY five times.

Boeheim has won it four times.

Mike Brey has won it three times, or 25 percent of the time he's been in the conference.

Notre Dame has " a lot of white guys", so when they have good teams they are automatically considered to be "scrappy" and "hard-nosed" and "overachievers" and "well-coached", so their coach(who is good) gets an oversized amount of credit.

Notre Dame has " a lot of white guys", so when they have good teams they are automatically considered to be "scrappy" and "hard-nosed" and "overachievers" and "well-coached", so their coach(who is good) gets an oversized amount of credit.

Despite the fact that they don't play defense and generally suck.

Despite the fact that they don't play defense and generally suck.

Absolutely. Many of the best and most memorable SU offensive performances have come at ND's expense.

I just think it is another example of the BE kissing NDs a$$!

Mike Brey has won it three times, or 25 percent of the time he's been in the conference.

Also, Syracuse has been in the conference since it's inception in 1979 and has only had 4 Big East Players of the Year (DC, Billy, Hak, Wes).

Notre Dame joined in 1996, and has had 5 POYs (Garrity, Murphy twice, Harangody, Hansborough)

While these stats really annoy me, at the end of the day ND still sucks most years. I'm glad that we will be out of this conference.

It's because every year Syracuse and Connecticut are usually expected to do well, and they rarely over achieve they either play to expectations or unerachieve. While Notre Dame is usually picked in the middle of the pack so when they finish higher they "overachieve." Therefore Mike Brey is looked as a great coach while Boehein and Calhoun just met expectations.

Also, Syracuse has been in the conference since it's inception in 1979 and has only had 4 Big East Players of the Year (DC, Billy, Hak, Wes).

Notre Dame joined in 1996, and has had 5 POYs (Garrity, Murphy twice, Harangody, Hansborough)
And what do those four guys have in common? Aside from playing for ND? It is probably not politically correct to say this, but I sometimes think sports voters these days have a bias in favor of white guys whom they think are scrappy under-dogs.

And what do those four guys have in common? Aside from playing for ND? It is probably not politically correct to say this, but I sometimes think sports voters these days have a bias in favor of white guys whom they think are scrappy under-dogs.
There can be no mistake about it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the doesn't the Big East award postseason honors based on a poll of the conference's coaches? It's been that way as long as I can remember.

If that is the case, then it's the coaches (or their surrogate voters) who are exhibiting this bias, and also the pro-Notre Dame bias mentioned above.

Pat Garrity averaged 23.2 and 8.3 in 1998.
Troy Murphy averaged 22.7/10.3 and 21.8/9.2 in 2000 and 2001.
Luke Harangody averaged 23.3/11.8 in 2009.
Ben Hansbrough 18.4 in 2011.

These aren't scrappy underdogs, they were elite college basketball players who were rewarded accordingly by having great seasons, and all of them played/are playing in the NBA.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the doesn't the Big East award postseason honors based on a poll of the conference's coaches? It's been that way as long as I can remember.

If that is the case, then it's the coaches (or their surrogate voters) who are exhibiting this bias, and also the pro-Notre Dame bias mentioned above.
I know who does the voting. You will note that I carefully said "voters" rather than writers.

C'mon, we all know Harangody isn't white.

Orange as the day is long:

images

More than any team, ND has benefited from the weighted schedule the Big East plays, where the really good teams play the really good teams twice and bad teams like ND (they have never been good) get to play awful programs like Rutgers, Providence and DePaul a lot. Going to the ACC is going to hurt them a lot.

i can say that harangody, murphy (at least the 2nd year), hansbrough and garrity were very deserving of their honors.

Edit *** i just looked it up... all 5 years they were deserving of the honors. murphy split with troy bell his soph year.

them being white is purely coincidental.

Pat Garrity averaged 23.2 and 8.3 in 1998.
Troy Murphy averaged 22.7/10.3 and 21.8/9.2 in 2000 and 2001.
Luke Harangody averaged 23.3/11.8 in 2009.
Ben Hansbrough 18.4 in 2011.

These aren't scrappy underdogs, they were elite college basketball players who were rewarded accordingly by having great seasons, and all of them played/are playing in the NBA.

i prob should have read the entire thread! this would have saved me 10 minutes of researching.

Part of that is the luck of when they had those big seasons too. Like John Wallace had a BE POY caliber season in 1996...but that just happened to be one of the toughest years ever to win it as Allen Iverson, Ray Allen, and Kerry Kittles were all around too(and I don't remember who won it, I'm guessing Iverson). If Wallace's 1996 season happens in say, 1998, he probably wins it over Garrity.

And then there's the matter of the best BE basketball player of the 2000's(Melo) not winning it in 2003 because they gave it to the senior Troy Bell. What a joke. He was better than every single one of those ND guys. Pearl and Sherman were too.

And then there's the matter of the best BE basketball player of the 2000's(Melo) not winning it in 2003 because they gave it to the senior Troy Bell. What a joke. He was better than every single one of those ND guys. Pearl and Sherman were too.

In fairness, it's not like Troy Bell was some schmuck. He had a HUGE year in 2003, averaging 25.2 ppg, 4.6 rebs, 3.7 assists.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom