Interesting tidbit-Wonder if it explains why Coyle let all of the assistants go | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Interesting tidbit-Wonder if it explains why Coyle let all of the assistants go

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think there was anything heavy handed about it at all. Coyle made his decision and let the staff go to begin seeking new opportunities. The assistants don't need their hands held and rather than keep them in limbo he set them free. Enlightened and generous.

And this is not how it is done at most programs. Usually the staff is retained until the new coach is hired then it is up to the new coach to decide who stays or goes. This was heavy handed.

I don't think there was anything heavy handed about it at all. Coyle made his decision and let the staff go to begin seeking new opportunities. The assistants don't need their hands held and rather than keep them in limbo he set them free. Enlightened and generous.

What a novel idea. You can't look for a job if you still have one.

having watched a few masses firings its not a very good thing no matter how you do it.. at least they got a couple days to deal with it. watching the ones where people get handed a box and say you have 30 min is not good.
I've been on the short end of that stick, handed the box and completely blind sided about getting laid off. I was quite young but making some good bank at the time. It's a horrible place to be and I'm sorry to hear that the old staff got the bum's rush. I wish them nothing but the best and hope they land on their feet in short time.

Not to repeat whats been said. But its not THAT they were let go...but HOW they were let go. The devil is in the detail. Either way its over, so it really doesn't matter.

Sure you can...but it is even better if you don't have to worry about divided loyalties or shortchanging your employer and are still getting paid until the end of your contract.

What a novel idea. You can't look for a job if you still have one.

Also makes room to bring in Ward (BGSU) DC who was at the AD's Alma Drake...

Was Eric White let go? Hope to hell he wasn't!

I just think in my opinion Coyle didn't dovthe mass firings on his own.
I think someone above made the call first.

In fairness, the guy wasn't Dino. And if you're going to fire somebody prior to the end of the season, you had better have your guys lined up. The recruits have been blowing in the wind longer than usual.

Now, I understand the situation with Dino. But, you should've known the timeline up front and at least waited another week to make the announement if that was the case.

And just to clarify my original point, the only thing I'm not a huge fan of is how he's handled the assistants. I understand timeframe's are maleable. But, I'm not giving him an A+, maybe an A or A- instead because of how the timeframe is changed.

Know your market, make your selection.

A lot more goes into it other than making a "selection", it isn't a buffet.

You can select all you want and at the same time the coaches are "selecting" as well. Once a coach is interested, there is a ton of negotiating that goes on which can fall through as we have seen already.

EDIT: The coaches were released so they could go find jobs as well as some have already said. You have to look at it from both sides.

You can select all you want and at the same time the coaches are "selecting" as well. Once a coach is interested, there is a ton of negotiating that goes on which can fall through as we have seen already.
Obviously, you make your selection after doing do diligence. Do your due diligence and go get your guy. The longer you wait, the more you risk him having more "selections".

Obviously, you make your selection after doing do diligence. Do your due diligence and go get your guy. The longer you wait, the more you risk him having more "selections".

You can't do any due diligence until you vet the candidates that are interested, how is that going to happen before the season ends and coaches are still worried about coaching games?

Prime example: Babers wouldn't even talk or discuss it when he had a game to play. Season just ended a week ago.

What if, in the process fo going to get "your guy" he says, let me think about it and starts to entertain other offers? And so does the next guy on the list? And so on and so forth... all that takes time and it isn't something you can push.

UCF tried that and lost Babers.

EDIT: The coaches were released so they could go find jobs as well as some have already said. You have to look at it from both sides.
I understand your point. The gripe was never when they were released but how they were treated during and after the release.

You can't do any due diligence until you vet the candidates that are interested, how is that going to happen before the season ends and coaches are still worried about coaching games?

Prime example: Babers wouldn't even talk or discuss it when he had a game to play. Season just ended a week ago.
Let me pose this question to you, purely hypothetical. How will this board feel if after all this time, Babers doesn't end up coming here? That's the other side of your argument and why I've been hammering on timeframe. The majority of schools have filled their openings.

I understand your point. The gripe was never when they were released but how they were treated during and after the release.

How were they treated? Other than being told they were let go, what was so bad?

When they got into this profession, this has happened to most coaches several times. The only people that this comes as a surprise to are teh fans.

Let me pose this question to you, purely hypothetical. How will this board feel if after all this time, Babers doesn't end up coming here? That's the other side of your argument and why I've been hammering on timeframe. The majority of schools have filled their openings.

There are tons of coaches out there and make no mistake, Syracuse has the ability to pry coaches from other schools if necessary. Especially other MAC and lower level schools.

Mendenhall was pried away from BYU by UVA. Would the NIU coach be interested in a 400% pay raise to go to SU? Not sure but I am sure he would listen.

If Babers isn't the guy, then we move onto the next guy on the list and I am absolutely sure those people are still being talked to at this moment.

How were they treated? Other than being told they were let go, what was so bad?

When they got into this profession, this has happened to most coaches several times. The only people that this comes as a surprise to are teh fans.
Did you follow the whole thread? I don't want to say what else happened. Do you think I don't understand the reality of this profession?

There are tons of coaches out there and make no mistake, Syracuse has the ability to pry coaches from other schools if necessary. Especially other MAC and lower level schools.

Mendenhall was pried away from BYU by UVA. Would the NIU coach be interested in a 400% pay raise to go to SU? Not sure but I am sure he would listen.

If Babers isn't the guy, then we move onto the next guy on the list and I am absolutely sure those people are still being talked to at this moment.
Holy shite, that's my whole gd point, you don't want to move down the list, you want your #1 guy. There's a reason other guys are down the list.

The meltdown would be EPIC. Honestly I would probably order pizza and wings and put the Internet on my 50 inch tv to read that meltdown.

Status
Not open for further replies.