Is Doug Marrone the right person to restore SU Football? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Is Doug Marrone the right person to restore SU Football?

There are more than 1, but since you only asked for 1...Nassib is better than the QB's we faced vs. rutgers, UConn and Cincy hands down and not even close.
Thank you sanity restored to the message board

Just wondering if you were on the "Marrone is not the right man for the job" bandwagon last year?

Just wondering if you were on the "Marrone is not the right man for the job" last year?

No. But I am this year because results matter and circumstances change. Shocking I know, when someone does good I support their efforts and work. When they do bad I might not. I'm not one who makes up their mind and will stick with it forever and even when facts prove me wrong. I am evaluating what I see and its not good.

No. But I am this year because results matter and circumstances change. Shocking I know, when someone does good I support their efforts and work. When they do bad I might not. I'm not one who makes up their mind and will stick with it forever and even when facts prove me wrong. I am evaluating what I see and its not good.

Fair enough...just my opinion but I think the reason everyone gets so supercharged over the results this year is because Marrone is a good coach and gave us fans a reason for hope this year.

Just wondering if you were on the "Marrone is not the right man for the job" bandwagon last year?

Ill admit that I felt last year that Marrone could very well be the right man for the job given his alum status and the win-loss ratio, but I've had concerns about Doug's coaching decisions and recruiting after year one. I personally feel that a new coaches success, especially in Marrones case, is very dependent on how well you can recruit within your first year on the job. Players know your going to be there for most if not all there tenure at the university, and its very hard for others coaches to persuade recuits that Marrone for example will be a failure. Its much easier if i'm schiano right now to sell my program over SU because the stability of Marrones job is crumbling, and there has been 3 years of poor results (minus a few games here and there) to persuade a recruit that SU is not the best place for them. Doug's job just got much harder, and last years results can basically be thrown out the window after how this team has played this season. Anyone who claims to be a decent football coach could persuade a recruit that the WV game was an anomaly in mere minutes, which leaves the rest of the season as a borderline disaster.

Ill admit that I felt last year that Marrone could very well be the right man for the job given his alum status and the win-loss ratio, but I've had concerns about Doug's coaching decisions and recruiting after year one. I personally feel that a new coaches success, especially in Marrones case, is very dependent on how well you can recruit within your first year on the job. Players know your going to be there for most if not all there tenure at the university, and its very hard for others coaches to persuade recuits that Marrone for example will be a failure. Its much easier if i'm schiano right now to sell my program over SU because the stability of Marrones job is crumbling, and there has been 3 years of poor results (minus a few games here and there) to persuade a recruit that SU is not the best place for them. Doug's job just got much harder, and last years results can basically be thrown out the window after how this team has played this season. Anyone who claims to be a decent football coach could persuade a recruit that the WV game was an anomaly in mere minutes, which leaves the rest of the season as a borderline disaster.

I don't get your argument. Are you saying Marrone should have gotten 3 and 4 star recruits with a whopping month to recruit? Are you saying a stud highschool senior should have blind faith in a 1st year coach especially after the debacle of the previous coach's tenure? Marrone was given a lemon and in his 1st year we were respectable. Year 2 we go to a bowl game and year 3 we still have a shot.

Who says the stability of Marrones job is crumbling? The way I see it if they gave Robinson 5 years and his teams were consistently towards the bottom in the COUNTRY and Marrone can take Syracuse to bowl in two years he isn't going anywhere soon.

Nice debate. I think ppl can argue both ways. What I can say is, I don't see DM ever winning the ACC championship with type of players he is bringing in. TysonGulley at starting RB, Jared West atWR, Charlie Loeb at QB will not beat VT, Miami, GT etc. They will never be good as Deleone Carter, Mike Williams and yes Ryan Nassib. Yes, they are good kids and DM teaches good discipline but sooner or better, we got to bring in higher ranking recruits.

Nice debate. I think ppl can argue both ways. What I can say is, I don't see DM ever winning the ACC championship with type of players he is bringing in. TysonGulley at starting RB, Jared West atWR, Charlie Loeb at QB will not beat VT, Miami, GT etc. They will never be good as Deleone Carter, Mike Williams and yes Ryan Nassib. Yes, they are good kids and DM teaches good discipline but sooner or better, we got to bring in higher ranking recruits.
Like Rutgers?

he has shown nothing to entice recruits -if anything his "style" will scare away any kid who isnt blind

he has shown nothing to entice recruits -if anything his "style" will scare away any kid who isnt blind

Devante McFarlane, Ron Thompson, Alvin Cornelius, Josh Parris, Ashton Broyld might disagree. Also, it all depends on the glass...is it half full or half empty

I don't get your argument. Are you saying Marrone should have gotten 3 and 4 star recruits with a whopping month to recruit? Are you saying a stud highschool senior should have blind faith in a 1st year coach especially after the debacle of the previous coach's tenure? Marrone was given a lemon and in his 1st year we were respectable. Year 2 we go to a bowl game and year 3 we still have a shot.

Who says the stability of Marrones job is crumbling? The way I see it if they gave Robinson 5 years and his teams were consistently towards the bottom in the COUNTRY and Marrone can take Syracuse to bowl in two years he isn't going anywhere soon.

When I say year Im referring to not just the month he had upon his arrival but the first full off-season after his first season. I personally feel it was important for Marrone to go guns blazing and start selling early playing time to any recruit who had that as a high priority and still fit into the system Marrone was hoping to establish.

And you really cant be serious about your stability comment. Are you just trying to play devils advocate or do you really think Marrones seat isn't getting hot? We aren't just losing games, we are losing games in which we have potential to win due to the poor quality of the conference, and we dont look very competent in my opinion. Were about to join a new conference in which the competition will be tougher and the coaching will be better. Lets not forget that we struggled to hold off a Tulane team that is at or near the bottom of Division 1 in an environment that equated to a high school game. I feel strongly at this point that Marrone is a lame duck, and should he turn things around next year I will be the first to admit I was dead wrong. Dead Wrong. Just dont see how we can be much better with the same subpar QB, average running backs, average O-line, and even more diminished secondary thanks to the Thomas suspension, etc, etc... Some of you come off like you think this is the NFL where we can draft and go into free agency to fill voids. Reality is you need to recruit well to win, coupled with the fact you need to have good coaches who have a plan in place to succeed. I feel we have neither.

The jury is still out on Marrone. And they've sent for pizza.

Thank you sanity restored to the message board

Right...sanity about our offensive play this year. :crazy: According to you, talent isn't the issue.

And yet we've got an offensive line that can't pass block or run block, a WR corps that can't seem to beat any press coverage, and a QB who is wildly inconsistent and can't hit any downfield passes...which isn't entirely upon him, since the OL doesn't give him any time to let anything develop downfield.

Other than that, how'd you enjoy the play, Mrs. Lincoln?

Ok. His year 3 is almost over. I'd love to see everyone's opinion for serious question. Is Coach Doug Marrone the right person to restore SU Football?

LB = Hogue, D. Smith, Vaughn (Grob). Spruill, Lynch, Davis (DM). Lot of top DM LBs left(Hawkes, Carter). GRob wins

Weren't Hogue and Smith RBs under GRob, can't really give him credit there he didn't have the foresight to put them in the correct position

Right...sanity about our offensive play this year. :crazy: According to you, talent isn't the issue.
Dude whats your issue now your just trolling looking to pick internet fights. Give it up. Just because the vast majority agree with me and not you no need for silly icons and petty name calling. If you want to go defend what you are seeing this year go for it. Be on that limb by yourself

Doug has next year to prove himself or he will be let go

You people don't get it - he is the only one willing to try and committed to doing so. No one else cares anything about SU football. For any other coach SU would be a stepping stone - we can't even offer competitive compensation to begin with.

You people don't get it - he is the only one willing to try and committed to doing so. No one else cares anything about SU football. For any other coach SU would be a stepping stone - we can't even offer competitive compensation to begin with.
Yes we can and yes we will. The ACC changes everything. Dont you get it Syracuse is going to be in the ACC not in Big East Limbo. Syracuse will have more good coaches than you can imagine wanting this job. Dont worry about the program worry about who is leading it. Doug either gets his together next year or he will be fired. Count on it

That's a lie. Looking at the salary's of ALL Div IA coaches SU is right in the middle of the pack. Which is competitive. Not the highest but not anywhere near the lowest either. If you looked at some of the schools who pay their head coaches LESS than SU your head would spin and jaw would hit the floor.

Yes we can and yes we will. The ACC changes everything. Dont you get it Syracuse is going to be in the ACC not in Big East Limbo. Syracuse will have more good coaches than you can imagine wanting this job. Dont worry about the program worry about who is leading it. Doug either gets his **** together next year or he will be fired. Count on it
Good point about the ACC, but I don't see Doug being in jeopardy next year. He will get a longer leash because last year (8 wins, including a bowl win) was better than expected, offsetting the disappointment of how we finish this season. The real test is the health of the program -- holding onto good assistants (or attracting good replacements); upgrades in recruiting; seeing kids get better. If he is making progress in recruiting (Broyld, Thompson, Macfarlane), he gets some credit. Unlike the "sackMac" sort of fans, the AD is going to look at the lifeblood of the program (recruiting) and not so much at play calling in year 3.

If your a TE your scared to NOT come and play in this offense. Other than Stanford, no one targets the TE like SU. (for better or worse)

Good point about the ACC, but I don't see Doug being in jeopardy next year. He will get a longer leash because last year (8 wins, including a bowl win) was better than expected, offsetting the disappointment of how we finish this season. The real test is the health of the program -- holding onto good assistants (or attracting good replacements); upgrades in recruiting; seeing kids get better. If he is making progress in recruiting (Broyld, Thompson, Macfarlane), he gets some credit. Unlike the "sackMac" sort of fans, the AD is going to look at the lifeblood of the program (recruiting) and not so much at play calling in year 3.
good point which is why im very concerned. Up until the last two maybe three games the one thing you could always say is that our kids played hard the entire game. That isnt the case and it is obvious he has lost the team which is a huge problem because the kids that are turning their backs on him are all his recruits. Something is really off with this program. Anyone can see it. The team is a collection of little clicks. Just look at the sideline. Groups of players talking by themselves. None of them into the game. Other than those who play the rest of the team looks completely out of it. This is death for a program. Doug has already shot his load. If the kids on the current roster dont believe in him he is done and will not survive.

Dude whats your issue now your just trolling looking to pick internet fights. Give it up. Just because the vast majority agree with me and not you no need for silly icons and petty name calling. If you want to go defend what you are seeing this year go for it. Be on that limb by yourself

So--you think that the "vast majority" of posters agree with you that this team doesn't lack talent on both sides of the ball and playmakers on offense?

Bunk. I think you'd have a tough time counting on one hand posters who'd agree with your premise. Good luck finding them.

I'm not trolling, I'm just calling you on a point you've repeated for several weeks because it suits your anti-Marrone rhetoric. Repeating something false doesn't make it true, no matter how many times you repeat it.

And I suggest you learn to read. I've been very critical of Marrone, the systems, and the results on the field. Repeating weak straw man arguments since you can't defend your point doesn't make them true, either.