Is HCIW Hopkins Written In Stone? | Syracusefan.com

Is HCIW Hopkins Written In Stone?

Took a team that won Atlantis and has looked pretty mediocre in his interim stint. Was completely out coached the last three ACC games.

Are we at least going to test the coaching market in 1-3 years?

If it doesn't work out I'm sure he could carve out a nice career as a HC in the MAAC or as an assistant at a high major program.

Yes it is. I can find plenty to fault hop with but I'm not sure JB wins all the games hop lost given the erratic to put it kindly play of this team.

Now would hop benefit from a couple of years as a HC elsewhere before taking over here, if a lower level team is willing to have him for two seasons maximum? Very possibly.

Yes it is. I can find plenty to fault hop with but I'm not sure JB wins all the games hop lost given the erratic to put it kindly play of this team.

Now would hop benefit from a couple of years as a HC elsewhere before taking over here, if a lower level team is willing to have him for two seasons maximum? Very possibly.

I don't see Boeheim losing to Georgetown, getting embarrassed by a terrible St. John's team, or losing tonight to Clemson.

Those three losses could be the difference between the NIT and NCAA's and that's the difference I see between Coach B and Coach H.

That ship has sailed. Hop is going nowhere now, and may be handed the reins before the 2018-19 season anyway. He will be fine. This team is an anomoly, with limited options and one of the most porous interior defenses of the JB era.

Ozcuse said:
I don't see Boeheim losing to Georgetown, getting embarrassed by a terrible St. John's team, or losing tonight to Clemson. Those three losses could be the difference between the NIT and NCAA's and that's the difference I see between Coach B and Coach H.

JB was beaten badly at Clemson last year.

Our final 4 team from a few years ago was beaten badly at Georgetown.

We lost at home to St. John's last year.

Bingo.

JB has lots of leash from 40 seasons of results.

Hopkins doesn't have that built up equity and in 9 games looked mediocre at best and lost in several critical game situations.

Let me ask this: what have you seen in these nine games to make you think Coach H can keep SU at an elite level?

I knew this kind of talk was coming if Hop lost a couple of games. Too small a sample to judge. He's coaching to a template already established this year. Least amount of talent in 20 years. Etc. Etc.

Oh

Took a team that won Atlantis and has looked pretty mediocre in his interim stint. Was completely out coached the last three ACC games.

Are we at least going to test the coaching market in 1-3 years?

If it doesn't work out I'm sure he could carve out a nice career as a HC in the MAAC or as an assistant at a high major program.

Was completely out coached? Why do people insist on hyperbole? The question about Hop is fair and it should spark some good discussion but lets at least try and be objective.

I only caught the last 8 minutes of last nights game. Where do people think Hop was out coached?

Was completely out coached? Why do people insist on hyperbole? The question about Hop is fair and it should spark some good discussion but lets at least try and be objective.

I only caught the last 8 minutes of last nights game. Where do people think Hop was out coached?
The 1st half. He was out coached pretty badly in the 1st half.

I'm hoping Mark Coyle has been paying attention and has at least started thinking about opening up a a search for coach when JB hangs it up.

I never liked the fact that Hop is given the next HC job without any previous experience and without looking at better options for our HC at the time of JB's departure. I'm sorry, but just because he has been here for a long time doesn't mean he should automatically get a high level coaching job without any competition for it.

No way is Coyle that dumb. Cuse hoops is a winter cash cow and Coyle will go get the best coach he can.

The 1st half. He was out coached pretty badly in the 1st half.

I'm hoping Mark Coyle has been paying attention and has at least started thinking about opening up a a search for coach when JB hangs it up.

I never liked the fact that Hop is given the next HC job without any previous experience and without looking at better options for our HC at the time of JB's departure. I'm sorry, but just because he has been here for a long time doesn't mean he should automatically get a high level coaching job without any competition for it.

Thanks for the reply...what specific things should Hop have done differently?

I've spoken to some alumni friends who aren't on message boards and they seem to be far more open to performing a real coaching search than they were.

Personally, I think you have to give him two years or risk completely losing the basketball alumni. But his leash needs to be short.

I knew this kind of talk was coming if Hop lost a couple of games. Too small a sample to judge. He's coaching to a template already established this year. Least amount of talent in 20 years. Etc. Etc.

Too small a sample? He'll have coached 29% of the games this season. What's a big enough sample to decide he'll coach the program into the ground?

Needs to call time outs during runs, which I'm pretty sure he didn't when Clemson went on a run in the 1st half to take a 9 point lead.

Was Franklin Howard out for last nights game too? Because if he wasn't that would be another problem since he didn't see the court at all.

We have no center.

You can't seriously expect to be good with no center.
Teams have been good in the past without good centers. We have the talent around center to win games that we have been losing. I'm starting to blame Hop for the difference in how the team has looked between The first 6 games and the last 9.

JB has a record of 2-1 vs Power 5 teams teams this year, and the two wins against top 25. Hop has a record of 0-4 against Power 5 competition and that doesn't include the beat down we took from St Johns. There is nothing here I've seen so far to make me excited about a future with him at coach.

Teams have been good in the past without good centers. We have the talent around center to win games that we have been losing. I'm starting to blame Hop for the difference in how the team has looked between The first 6 games and the last 9.

JB has a record of 2-1 vs Power 5 teams teams this year, and the two wins against top 25. Hop has a record of 0-4 against Power 5 competition and that doesn't include the beat down we took from St Johns. There is nothing here I've seen so far to make me excited about a future with him at coach.
Coleman can't give 20+ good minutes. Lydon gets worn down and pushed around downlow at center, he really has no business playing there as it effects his offensive output as well.

There's a difference between having a body that doesn't hurt you playing for 25-40 minutes downlow, and having noone. Coleman sometimes comes ready to play, sometimes. At this point I think it hurts us having Lydon at the 5. I really wonder how far behind Obokoh must be not to get 15-22 minutes a game.

Edit: Regarding the 2-1 against power fives this season by JB, thank god for that. Because in my opinion, others may disagree, theres no way this team survives the attrition of conference play with big physical teams when we lack a presence downlow offensively and defensively.

We (including myself) demanded a guy with prior HC experience to head a football program that's been at the bottom of P5 for the last ten years...but apparently it's OK to hire someone green to coach our top 10 all time, flagship athletic program.

I think this was a great way for Hop to get 9 games under his belt without anyone holding his hand...now JB can come back and they can talk about what he saw from home, and what he might have done differently etc.
I think it might be a great learning experience for Hop.

We (including myself) demanded a guy with prior HC experience to head a football program that's been at the bottom of P5 for the last ten years...but apparently it's OK to hire someone green to coach our top 10 all time, flagship athletic program.
Yup, I really think the basketball program should learn from the Football programs mistake and not just hand a guy a HC job without ANY previous coaching experience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom