Is JB needed for our 2-3 zone to be successful... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Is JB needed for our 2-3 zone to be successful...

The zone as employed by JB is a great defense. It probably will be when Hopkins uses it. But it's just a tool...It's not part of our "brand" and if that figures into Hopkins' calculus at all, then hes not the man to lead this program.

^^^^This. Our program brand for many years was synonymous with a) winning, b) playing on a big stage with entertaining players and c) using an exciting, free flowing offense that loves to run. JB played a big part in establishing the program brand. But then the whole zone thing came along, and based on his comments which are borderline insecure, he has made it way too personal. His focus on the zone has effectively eroded some of the cache in our brand, just so we can hear announcers say the "trademark JB 2-3 zone". You can certainly make an argument that the latter is now more important to JB than playing exciting, fast basketball. There was a time many moons ago when we could run, score points, and still win games. JB would rather win 2-0 instead of 80-78 if it meant the media would keep talking about his zone. I think that's what many of us hope will change when Hop takes over. It is possible to win and have fun doing it. Sick of white knuckling and letting the other team decide how slow we're going to play.

Last edited:
^^^^This. Our program brand for many years was synonymous with a) winning, b) playing on a big stage with entertaining players and c) using an exciting, free flowing offense that loves to run. JB has played a big part in establishing the program brand. The whole zone thing is HIS branding. And you can certainly make an argument that the latter is now more important to JB than playing exciting, fast basketball. There was a time many moons ago when we could run, score points, and still win games. JB would rather win 2-0 instead of 80-78 if it meant the media would keep talking about his zone. I think that's what many of us hope will change when Hop takes over. It is possible to win and have fun doing it. Sick of white knuckling and letting the other team decide how slow we're going to play.
That doesn't sound bad, the entertaining and fast basketball (the part of your post before you trailed off into the tin foil piece about how hype trumps results for JB).

But then why Hop? He has no history of any of that. Hop has spent 20 years as JB's understudy, concentrated on the zone. In theory the knowledge of the zone is what makes Hop the man for the job. He has insider knowledge on how this is working and should easily and seamlessly be able to keep it going.

If Hop doesn't use the zone, why is SU giving him coach in waiting status? Makes no sense. There are a ton of better resumes out there for M2M.

i'll guarantee the next coach won't play 100 % zone D. whether that's mike hopkins or as i hope somebody better.

That doesn't sound bad, the entertaining and fast basketball (the part of your post before you trailed off into the tin foil piece about how hype trumps results for JB).

But then why Hop? He has no history of any of that. Hop has spent 20 years as JB's understudy, concentrated on the zone. In theory the knowledge of the zone is what makes Hop the man for the job. He has insider knowledge on how this is working and should easily and seamlessly be able to keep it going.

If Hop doesn't use the zone, why is SU giving him coach in waiting status? Makes no sense. There are a ton of better resumes out there for M2M.
The premise is that Hop will retain some of the best tools in JB's bag (e.g. situational use of the zone) while also introducing modern amenities (m2m, occasional on-ball pressure, national recruiting, etc). Many of us are expecting that general approach because Hop has been off record as saying he wants to do this. He's a big-time recruiter who connects with today's players. His personality matches the fire he displayed when he himself was a player. We're hopeful that will generate enough momentum for a smooth transition while his bench skills mature. And, yes, I fully realize that last part is going to be critical and what many are nervous about after St-Johnny-Gate.

Last edited:
The premise is that Hop will retain some of the best tools in JB's bag (e.g. situational use of the zone) while also introducing modern amenities (m2m, occasional on-ball pressure, national recruiting, etc). Many of us are expecting that general approach because Hop has been off record as saying he wants to do this. He's a big-time recruiter who connects with today's players. His personality matches the fire he displayed when he himself was a player. We're hopeful that will generate enough momentum for a smooth transition while his bench skills mature.
"modern amenities"... how very clever.

^^^^This. Our program brand for many years was synonymous with a) winning, b) playing on a big stage with entertaining players and c) using an exciting, free flowing offense that loves to run. JB played a big part in establishing the program brand. But then the whole zone thing came along, and based on his comments which are borderline insecure, he has made it way too personal. His focus on the zone has effectively eroded some of the cache in our brand, just so we can hear announcers say the "trademark JB 2-3 zone". You can certainly make an argument that the latter is now more important to JB than playing exciting, fast basketball. There was a time many moons ago when we could run, score points, and still win games. JB would rather win 2-0 instead of 80-78 if it meant the media would keep talking about his zone. I think that's what many of us hope will change when Hop takes over. It is possible to win and have fun doing it. Sick of white knuckling and letting the other team decide how slow we're going to play.

I'm starting to think you would rather lose 86-82 than win 60-56.

I'm starting to think you would rather lose 86-82 than win 60-56.
We've been winning 60-56 but also losing 56-60. There's nothing wrong with wanting to get back to an exciting brand.

This is why Mike Hopkins will employ the zone almost all the time. When you strike out on your own, you stick with what's familiar and what you know the most. As you get more experienced and your confidence grows, you experiment. He'll go zone almost exclusively because he will feel it gives him the best chance at winning.

But it won't be because it's our "brand."

We've been winning 60-56 but also losing 56-60. There's nothing wrong with wanting to get back to an exciting brand.

I don't know what you're watching with JB on the bench. We are 11-3 with JB at the helm this year. We've had one bad year since 08(last year). After what happened when he sat earlier this year, there is zero basis to attack him. You should be wishing he could coach from his grave.

His focus on the zone has effectively eroded some of the cache in our brand, just so we can hear announcers say the "trademark JB 2-3 zone". You can certainly make an argument that the latter is now more important to JB than playing exciting, fast basketball.

So in addition to not being your kind of coach and "eroding the SU brand", he is a megalomaniac now too. Maybe he just wants to win. I would like to hear the argument about the latter now being more important to JB.

upload_2016-2-2_15-40-18.png

I don't know what you're watching with JB on the bench. We are 11-3 with JB at the helm this year. We've had one bad year since 08(last year). After what happened when he sat earlier this year, there is zero basis to attack him. You should be wishing he could coach from his grave.

I was just thinking this like last week. Is there a way Boeheim can coach until he is in his late 70's. He is in great shape and really healthy. I remember Jason Hart said once the entire he went there Boeheim wasn't sick once. Maybe it has to do with younger kids or Juli being younger but I think he should keep going. I'm not sure if this is right but I remember a quote from Richardson before he got here where he said that he didn't believe Boeheim would leave in 3 years. Maybe he will just stay. I would love for him to Coach for another 6-7 years and Hop take a job somewhere else and have some success.

Sorry, I will go with the hall fame coach over your opinion.

That's not my opinion; it's a factual observation. That Hall of Fame coach is talking nonsense again.

Last edited:

Really miss those ally-oop passes, run & dunks, sherm between his legs, backwards passes, etc., etc. Obviously, winning is of the utmost importance, even if we're winning ugly these days...

With the lights out, it's less dangerous
Here we are now, entertain us

win or lose i paid to see some exciting hoops. release the damn hounds

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors