Is MCW really still a lock to leave? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Is MCW really still a lock to leave?

I don't agree with much of this. If you're asking whether I'd[1] prefer to have MCW come back for his junior year to play alongside Ennis, and [2] whether he'd be improved next year -- abso-freaking-lutely.

But I don't buy that Ennis would be 1/100th the player MCW is this year. College basketball is full of examples of frosh coming in and performing at a high level. Ennis is a top prospect; not suggesting that he'd need to come in and be Kenny Anderson, but I'd be surprised if he isn't up to the task of starting from Day 1 and performing at a high level. This kid seems to have "it."

Hey, I hope Ennis is the next Chris Paul... but he isnt even close to as highly a regarded prospect as MCW was... I may have exaggerated a bit, but there is no way that any logical human being would rather have Ennis over MCW next year.

Hey, I hope Ennis is the next Chris Paul... but he isnt even close to as highly a regarded prospect as MCW was... I may have exaggerated a bit, but there is no way that any logical human being would rather have Ennis over MCW next year.

I think you're significantly discounting how much of a blue chip prospect Ennis is. Lousiville, Arizona, and SU all had him as their primary PG target. He just missed out on the McD's game.

Frankly, I think he might be even more ready to come in and play as a frosh than MCW was last year.

But I view it as a false choice--I'd prefer to have BOTH players back next year, I just resigned to the expectation that MCW won't elect to stay in college next year.

I think you're significantly discounting how much of a blue chip prospect Ennis is. Lousiville, Arizona, and SU all had him as their primary PG target. He just missed out on the McD's game.

Frankly, I think he might be even more ready to come in and play as a frosh than MCW was last year.

But I view it as a false choice--I'd prefer to have BOTH players back next year, I just resigned to the expectation that MCW won't elect to stay in college next year.

I agree, there is 0% chance that MCW comes back... but my original point is that anyone who wants MCW to leave so that Ennis can be the starter next year is crazy. And I will stand by that...

gm's have been looking for the next magic johnson since the year after he was drafted- they still aint found one-mcw can pass on the fast break and not much more

and if by age of 21 he still cant shoot dribble -What would make a gm with a live brain cell think going to the best level in the world will help make him better-

potential is a word that shouldnt be used on a man over 21- you either show it by now or you dont
Right because no 21 year old playing basketball has ever improved once he got to the NBA, everyone knows that once you hit your 24th birthday, it's all down hill.

I agree, there is 0% chance that MCW comes back... but my original point is that anyone who wants MCW to leave so that Ennis can be the starter next year is crazy. And I will stand by that...

The people who are wishing for MCW to leave so we can get an unproven commodity in Ennis are the same ones who probably predicted Cooney to come in and lead the big east in 3s, Coleman to be grabbing 12 boards a game, Mookie to be first team all big east upon arrival, and were absolutely shocked when their predictions didn't come to fruition.

How you can wish for your starting, above average PG to leave for someone who hasn't yet played a D1 game is seriously beyond me. It's almost like they think MCW isn't affected by the fact our team cannot put the ball in the basket.

Let's play a game: If MCW was on the '09-'10 team instead of Scoop, would he have more or less assists than this season, despite less minutes? I'll go more.

This is exactly why Lebron James is the best player on the planet and it isn't close. Cavs record with him, Cavs record without him. The vast majority of the world cannot do a smidgeon of what that man did.

yup
Right because no 21 year old playing basketball has ever improved once he got to the NBA, everyone knows that once you hit your 24th birthday, it's all down hill.

- you either have shown you can handle the ball by age 21 or you havent- do you honestly think a kid who cant beat big east pressure can all of a sudden become a nba ball handler over night?

He has an NBA body, he could definitely add some muscle, but you can't teach height and he's a 6'6 PG, his frame will fill out.

He passes the look test to me. He's shown flashes of brilliance, sure he's been inconsistent, but any can see that he has the tools. If you look at the top 10 assist guys in the country, MCW might be the only one drafted (unless you think Pressey will eventually), and among the top 10 scorers in the nation, there's 3 guys who will probably get drafted (Canaan, McDermott and Wolters); my point is, the NBA is 90% about potential, you don't get drafted in the NBA based on your collegiate stats. There really is no argument about his upside, he most definitely has it.

Where is he "no longer projected to go in the first round"?

His passing can be really great but he makes really bad decisions at times. REALLY bad. He still is making that jump-180-backwards pass once a game which is leading to fast breaks for opponents. The look test for me would be the length obviously but guys like Livingston and Kevin Martin were WAY better players coming out.

Some dummy GM like a Kahn will take him in the first round. The only way he sticks, imo, is if that handle gets better. If you can't see that it is suspect then you're a blind man. He was getting stripped in the non-conference as well. I think he can find open teammates and of course in the NBA he won't deal with all of the bricklaying going on here as well as nobody in the post to pass to. I also question his speed but I'm tired of breaking down the holes in his game.

not only is this years draft a weak draft, next years is a strong draft. double whammy. he is most likely gone.

The people who are wishing for MCW to leave so we can get an unproven commodity in Ennis are the same ones who probably predicted Cooney to come in and lead the big east in 3s, Coleman to be grabbing 12 boards a game, Mookie to be first team all big east upon arrival, and were absolutely shocked when their predictions didn't come to fruition.

How you can wish for your starting, above average PG to leave for someone who hasn't yet played a D1 game is seriously beyond me. It's almost like they think MCW isn't affected by the fact our team cannot put the ball in the basket.

Let's play a game: If MCW was on the '09-'10 team instead of Scoop, would he have more or less assists than this season, despite less minutes? I'll go more.

This is exactly why Lebron James is the best player on the planet and it isn't close. Cavs record with him, Cavs record without him. The vast majority of the world cannot do a smidgeon of what that man did.
There's a difference between "best" and "most valuable."
Lebron is probably both of those things.

But I heard Bobby Knight on the radio today (I admit I actually listened to him being interviewed).
He said the best player he ever saw was Jordan (with Oscar & Jerry West right up there).
But the most valuable without any question was Bill Russell...a dominant winner at every level.

What does this have to do with MCW?
Not a thing...but I'm tired of thinking about our weaknesses.

Lastly, there is a big difference in being drafted 12th ($2.1mm) and the 25th pick aka Fab Melo ($1.25mm).

even bigger difference between the 25th pick aka Fab Melo ($1.25mm) and starting PG at Syracuse U.($0.00)

Should MCW stay and improve himself? Yes. Will he? No.
I've never had the feeling that MCW really cares all that much about being at Syracuse. I maybe all wrong, but I've never sensed that much genuine feeling between him and the team as a whole.

yup

- you either have shown you can handle the ball by age 21 or you havent- do you honestly think a kid who cant beat big east pressure can all of a sudden become a nba ball handler over night?
You can absolutely improve your ball handling, it happens in the NBA all the time. MCW is fine with his handling, he's not Chris Paul by any stretch, but he's good enough.

But seriously, you are pretty much saying much once you turn 21 you won't get any better. That's ridiculous. MCW has the potential to be a top 10 NBA PG, and that's all scouts care about.

even bigger difference between the 25th pick aka Fab Melo ($1.25mm) and starting PG at Syracuse U.($0.00)

True but the 31st pick and then released shortly thereafter pays the same as the SU PG and he won't get that opportunity again. He is a good student who went to prep school so another full year should bring him close to graduating if he is going to school in the summer. Like I said, if he works out for teams and they tell him he will be selected as a lottery pick than he has to go and I wish him well. I don't put any faith in the mock drafts as others on this board seem to do. We will see if he is a lottery pick once he works out if front of GM's and shows of his patented high dribble or his drive stop and pass back to the opponent.

His passing can be really great but he makes really bad decisions at times. REALLY bad. He still is making that jump-180-backwards pass once a game which is leading to fast breaks for opponents. The look test for me would be the length obviously but guys like Livingston and Kevin Martin were WAY better players coming out.

Some dummy GM like a Kahn will take him in the first round. The only way he sticks, imo, is if that handle gets better. If you can't see that it is suspect then you're a blind man. He was getting stripped in the non-conference as well. I think he can find open teammates and of course in the NBA he won't deal with all of the bricklaying going on here as well as nobody in the post to pass to. I also question his speed but I'm tired of breaking down the holes in his game.
Livingston came straight from HS, I'm not sure you could call him WAY better.

You really think it would be dumb to take him round 1? Look at the guards that NBAdraft.net has going in the late first: Isiah Caanan, Tim Hardaway Jr, Kentavious Caldwell. Then they have Nate Wolters and Lorenzo Brown going teh first 2 picks in the 2nd round.

Yes, Lorenzo Brown. A JR who's points, rebounds, FG%, and 3PT% are down from last year. His turnover numbers are up (so are his assists). This guy wasn't even going to get drafted had he come out last yaer, his numbers got WORSE, and now he's the 2nd pick of the 2nd round on NBAdraft.net.

MCW has improved his game from last month, he's nowhere close to being at his peak. People are ripping on his ability way too much.

True but the 31st pick and then released shortly thereafter pays the same as the SU PG and he won't get that opportunity again. He is a good student who went to prep school so another full year should bring him close to graduating if he is going to school in the summer. Like I said, if he works out for teams and they tell him he will be selected as a lottery pick than he has to go and I wish him well. I don't put any faith in the mock drafts as others on this board seem to do. We will see if he is a lottery pick once he works out if front of GM's and shows of his patented high dribble or his drive stop and pass back to the opponent.
that is his goto move

Look at the guards that NBAdraft.net has going in the late first: Isiah Caanan, Tim Hardaway Jr, Kentavious Caldwell. Then they have Nate Wolters and Lorenzo Brown going teh first 2 picks in the 2nd round.

I hear what you saying but why do people put faith in these mock drafts? I get that it makes for good conversation but this same board has BT going as the 53rd pick to the Bullets. Do you see BT getting drafted? I maybe wrong but I don't and hope he can earn some $$$ overseas. These boards are tough because no one knows how BT & MCW can defend and GM's will not know that answer until they workout with potential players prior to the draft. That is why I was saying that I just hope he does not sign early with agent as draft night might be a long nite for MCW.

Livingston came straight from HS, I'm not sure you could call him WAY better.

You really think it would be dumb to take him round 1? Look at the guards that NBAdraft.net has going in the late first: Isiah Caanan, Tim Hardaway Jr, Kentavious Caldwell. Then they have Nate Wolters and Lorenzo Brown going teh first 2 picks in the 2nd round.

Yes, Lorenzo Brown. A JR who's points, rebounds, FG%, and 3PT% are down from last year. His turnover numbers are up (so are his assists). This guy wasn't even going to get drafted had he come out last yaer, his numbers got WORSE, and now he's the 2nd pick of the 2nd round on NBAdraft.net.

MCW has improved his game from last month, he's nowhere close to being at his peak. People are ripping on his ability way too much.

I keep forgetting how weak this G crop is. I do think he should go, fyi. Not because I wouldn't want to see him here but because of his age, the weak draft, and other factors. I personally would take Cannon and Hardaway Jr. over him. I and others are 'ripping' him because those weaknesses and flaws are obviously there. I don't wish him ill will or anything like that. When your handle is weak against good competition and you can't shoot; I'm not going to sugar coat.

I've actually thought about this exact hypothetical (instead of Scoop or Brandon, doesn't really matter which). MCW on that team would average double digit assists for the year assuming he played at least 30 mpg, I have no doubts. That team had multiple people who could score from any spot on the court. What a great group.

[quote="Hoboken Cuse, post: 569376, member: 3013"I hear what you saying but why do people put faith in these mock drafts? I get that it makes for good conversation but this same board has BT going as the 53rd pick to the Bullets. Do you see BT getting drafted? I maybe wrong but I don't and hope he can earn some $$$ overseas. These boards are tough because no one knows how BT & MCW can defend and GM's will not know that answer until they workout with potential players prior to the draft. That is why I was saying that I just hope he does not sign early with agent as draft night might be a long nite for MCW.][/quote]

have you looked at this years draft? just who is going to get selected before him? Nate Wolters? I think not. The kid had like 5 bad games. It's not like he's playing with a loaded roster.

Should MCW stay and improve himself? Yes. Will he? No.
I've never had the feeling that MCW really cares all that much about being at Syracuse. I maybe all wrong, but I've never sensed that much genuine feeling between him and the team as a whole.
How are you sensing that? Do you have some sort of meter or gauge? Is this a scent he is giving off? Facial expressions?

No offense. But this isn't some sort of intuition thing is it?

I've never seen a PG, with this many assists and steals, not know how to lead. And oddly, he doesn't know how to dribble or pass either.

Yep, he'll be a Knick next year...

Raymond Felton and Jason Kidd would break him in half...kid makes Jonny Flynn look like Dennis Johnson.

I guess the logic is that staying another year in college isn't really going to help him get drafted any higher. So why not dash for the cash?

But my eyes are rolling around in my head thinking about him going up against NBA guards with his current set of skills and his lack of bulk and strength.

I'm sticking with my prediction that he has a Jonny Flynn type NBA career.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How are you sensing that? Do you have some sort of meter or gauge? Is this a scent he is giving off? Facial expressions?

No offense. But this isn't some sort of intuition thing is it?
Just watching body language, reaction to events, attitude towards other players. I said I could be wrong, but I've been down these roads before.

I guess the logic is that staying another year in college isn't really going to help him get drafted any higher. So why not dash for the cash?

But my eyes are rolling around in my head thinking about him going up against NBA guards with his current set of skills and his lack of bulk and strength.
you don't need bulk or strength to play in the NBA

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom