It comes down to this ... | Syracusefan.com

It comes down to this ...

cto

Administrator
Putting aside all else, the reason we lost the game .... is that Marek and Bourama fouled out. If both .. or either .. were in there for the last five minutes, we win it. This is really our Achilles heel. Two guys we need ... are prone to stupid foul trouble (and, for whatever reason, some bad calls).

It’s going to be a part of their development, they need to learn to limit their fouls. We’re potentially a top 25 team with them.

Marek had two stupid fouls and a couple of touch calls. He gets them every game. He needs to adjust, but he’s shown no signs of figuring it out. His fouls have cost us the ND and Clemson games. He fouled out early in both losses. At some point you would think he’d get smarter. Maybe he needs a smoke break to calm himself down during each half.

I think the biggest problem with Marek is that for every one of the "stupid" fouls that he gets called for he gets away with doing the same thing one or two times. Marek is kind of like the child who is disciplined inconsistently, he never gets it through his head that he has to stop committing the dumb reach in, or over the back or whatever because he gets away with the same thing just as often as he gets called for it.

I think the biggest problem with Marek is that for every one of the "stupid" fouls that he gets called for he gets away with doing the same thing one or two times. Marek is kind of like the child who is disciplined inconsistently, he never gets it through his head that he has to stop committing the dumb reach in, or over the back or whatever because he gets away with the same thing just as often as he gets called for it.

Exactly this. Marek puts himself in the position to have bad calls made against him.

Marek had two stupid fouls and a couple of touch calls. He gets them every game. He needs to adjust, but he’s shown no signs of figuring it out. His fouls have cost us the ND and Clemson games. He fouled out early in both losses. At some point you would think he’d get smarter. Maybe he needs a smoke break to calm himself down during each half.
Well, when Marek doesn't get calls when he is beat up, why should he expect to get a call against himself when he barely touches someone?

Yes, he makes some foolish fouls, but he doesn't get too many breaks from the officials either.

Compare Marek’s 5th foul, in which he barely touched the Clemson guy going for the ball, to the non-call on Hughes’ tip-in attempt with his defender backing straight into and under him. The refs were terrible all night. Clemson clutches and grabs and hand checks all night but it only gets called half the time or less.

I will never forget my friend Larry, a Duke fan who was at Marek’s first game at Cameron two years ago, texting me: “The white kid is afraid! He’s afraid to shoot!” He was not taunting, just stating the obvious.

Well, he ain’t afraid now! PLEASE Marek play smart. We need you!

Putting aside all else, the reason we lost the game ... is that Marek and Bourama fouled out. If both .. or either .. were in there for the last five minutes, we win it. This is really our Achilles heel. Two guys we need ... are prone to stupid foul trouble (and, for whatever reason, some bad calls).

Huh, it works for you too...that is, playing the "what if" game. Now, I'm really beginning to have a complex. ;):)

Compare Marek’s 5th foul, in which he barely touched the Clemson guy going for the ball, to the non-call on Hughes’ tip-in attempt with his defender backing straight into and under him. The refs were terrible all night. Clemson clutches and grabs and hand checks all night but it only gets called half the time or less.
I agree with this, but will offer a small variation. I think Dolezaj's 5th foul was a make-up call for Mack being whistled for an over-the-back about a minute prior (when he jumped over Hughes and cleanly grabbed the ball). Mack's foul happened with 8:42 left, and Marek fouled out at the 7:56-mark. Tit for tat, which refs deny happens, but it occurs every game.

Well, when Marek doesn't get calls when he is beat up, why should he expect to get a call against himself when he barely touches someone?

Yes, he makes some foolish fouls, but he doesn't get too many breaks from the officials either.
He rarely gets fouled on defensive rebounds.

Putting aside all else, the reason we lost the game ... is that Marek and Bourama fouled out. If both .. or either .. were in there for the last five minutes, we win it. This is really our Achilles heel. Two guys we need ... are prone to stupid foul trouble (and, for whatever reason, some bad calls).

The problem is we don't have a legit P5 center - period.

Marek does some things well and is trying mightily, but he's not a center.

And Sidibe is simply not good enough nor improving at all.

I will never forget my friend Larry, a Duke fan who was at Marek’s first game at Cameron two years ago, texting me: “The white kid is afraid! He’s afraid to shoot!” He was not taunting, just stating the obvious.

Well, he ain’t afraid now! PLEASE Marek play smart. We need you!
wait, you have friends that are Duke fans? I'm beginning to wonder about you..

I agree with this, but will offer a small variation. I think Dolezaj's 5th foul was a make-up call for Mack being whistled for an over-the-back about a minute prior (when he jumped over Hughes and cleanly grabbed the ball). Mack's foul happened with 8:42 left, and Marek fouled out at the 7:56-mark. Tit for tat, which refs deny happens, but it occurs every game.
The one where he ripped Hughes' arm out of the shoulder socket? That one?

wait, you have friends that are Duke fans? I'm beginning to wonder about you..
My brother, who began to like them when my hubby was at Duke, professional colleagues Larry and Erica, best friends Carole and Andy, who had season tickets before they moved up here in ‘89 . . It happens when you live in Durham for 12 years!

And I believe you have been wondering about me for quite a while now, Mr. Funny Guy. :rolleyes:

less stress rooting for duke, Ill keep my orange. For them its stressful fighting for like their 6th title.

The problem with Marek and Sidibe is when playing guys who are physically stronger they are forced out of position which leads to fouls.

It is hard to complete in post with guys who are stronger than you, this is why Guerrier is important to this team because he's stronger and more physical than Marek or Sidibe.

One thing we can do is play Guerrier more in the first have to save Marek's and Sidibe's fouls to the second half.

The problem with Marek and Sidibe is when playing guys who are physically stronger they are forced out of position which leads to fouls.

It is hard to complete in post with guys who are stronger than you, this is why Guerrier is important to this team because he's stronger and more physical than Marek or Sidibe.

One thing we can do is play Guerrier more in the first have to save Marek's and Sidibe's fouls to the second half.
Another thing we could do is drill it into their thick heads to not leave their feet for every God forsaken pump fake. That would save a few foul calls per game.

exactly right. They both have to know how critical it is for both of them to stay on the court. A couple more minutes last night gets us the win. If it hasn’t gotten through so not sure it will but would make such a massive difference.

Cuse!

Hopefully people see how screwed we are without Sid and don’t get on him for not being a star. He’s been solid since QG emerged to split the center role with him.

Insane we didn’t play our best center at center last night down the stretch the reason we look like a legit team is Quincys minutes at the 5. We weren’t getting that non conference when we stunk.

JB didn’t want Buddy playing the 3 (or Goodine) was a bad call another guard would have spaced the floor on offense and either of them could have stayed in position and done OK on the wing defensively for 5 minutes.

Get it back Saturday.

well there was no need for the makeup because the over the back call was already the makeup for the ridiculous shoulder barge non charge call against Mack just before

A little weed like the Villanova player in the national championship game

I don't think either player, Sid or Marek are going to change their pattern so Jim will have to figure out what to do when the he has neither to play with depending on the score of the game and time it happens. Jim will figure this out.

Hopefully people see how screwed we are without Sid and don’t get on him for not being a star. He’s been solid since QG emerged to split the center role with him.

Insane we didn’t play our best center at center last night down the stretch the reason we look like a legit team is Quincys minutes at the 5. We weren’t getting that non conference when we stunk.

JB didn’t want Buddy playing the 3 (or Goodine) was a bad call another guard would have spaced the floor on offense and either of them could have stayed in position and done OK on the wing defensively for 5 minutes.

Get it back Saturday.
And when were we seeing QG at center??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom