It has always been thought | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

It has always been thought

That makes some more sense!
My kid's scheduled return to classes at UNH is next Tuesday. Lots of his friends are still home as well. But that could be due to Covid pushing back start dates.

The future of live attendance is the yet to be told story of COVID. I for one - and am sure I am not alone - have come around to finding that I enjoy the games at home or at friends more than I thought,and I miss the live vibe less than I thought.
Couches, warm houses, and giant LED tvs make for comfortable viewing. Plus you don't have to rush out during a TO to get a pee.

Couches, warm houses, and giant LED tvs make for comfortable viewing. Plus you don't have to rush out during a TO to get a pee.
Have had those things for quite some time.

All of the above and adding ticket transfer is a pain. Used to be you just asked, do you want a ticket. Stop by my house and pick it up. Now, there are so many steps to load the APP, sign up and hope so see it work. Its a pain for certain. Agree re: Covid. Not sure I want to be in the crowd at this time.

But at TIP OFF it was painfull to see the empty seats at half court. Also, during the 2nd half there was a shot of an SU player inbounding the ball from beneath the basket. Camera was on the floor. The dome looked empty as it was panning into the upper seats. Attendance of 17K used to be the norm for December. Jan-Mar it was mid 20K no matter the opponent. There has been a loss of support it seems. Hopefully it turns around.

What…women can’t do the weather? I guess I’ll look in to the teary eyes of my two broken hearted daughters and tell them Mr. Orange79 says there can only be weatherMEN. It’s ok though, because he says you can be secretaries or stay in the kitchen.

I think you forgot this

/S

I think ticket prices are a big part of it as well. It is EXPENSIVE to go to a game now. Unreasonably expensive, in my mind. I don't live in Syracuse and in the past would have never missed a game if I was in town. But now I skip them because I can't justify the cost.

To me, it's a sign of how spoiled we are that we "only" had 9000 fans for a late midweek winter game against a foe we prefer in football. SU has a large and knowledgeable fan base. Those that attended were well entertained, but it wasn't the first choice game for many others. I'm ok with that (I'm in Colorado)...

That's funny-Watching the game last night (and last bunch of games) and seeing the sparse attendance, I was wondering how much our Basketball attendance has been down from usual due to Covid and other factors compared to football?

That's funny-Watching the game last night (and last bunch of games) and seeing the sparse attendance, I was wondering how much our Basketball attendance %has been down from usual due to Covid and other factors compared to football?
I have football seasons, I estimate Covid took out about 15%. Whatever yesterday was ,It dwarfed 15 %.

What…women can’t do the weather? I guess I’ll look in to the teary eyes of my two broken hearted daughters and tell them Mr. Orange79 says there can only be weatherMEN. It’s ok though, because he says you can be secretaries or stay in the kitchen.
Ok then. No more weathermen and weatherwomen. We'll just call them The Weather.

The future of live attendance is the yet to be told story of COVID. I for one - and am sure I am not alone - have come around to finding that I enjoy the games at home or at friends more than I thought,and I miss the live vibe less than I thought.
COVID has been an issue for me. I was at the Clemson game, but I didn't use my ticket for the Pitt game last Tuesday (1/11) mainly because of COVID-related reasons. COVID was peaking in Onondaga County, with 9-to-10 times the number of active cases on the 11th than yesterday. I had a runny nose, and wasn't sure if I was coming down with it. And who wants to wear a mask for 2 hours with a runny nose! Plus, wind chills were in the below zero range, and the game was on television.

I think that's pretty much it and it's not much different than any other fanbase in that manner. UNC and Duke both had empty seats in their lean years. Off the top of my head, the only college fanbase that always fills regardless of how good the team is Nebraska football.
Most of the Big Ten schools are like that. I lived just up the road from State College for a few years and they always sell out Happy Valley. They also have HUGE student bodies.

Ok then. No more weathermen and weatherwomen. We'll just call them The Weather.
Weatherpeople, Weatherfolks, those people who forecast the weather, Weather Reporters, Meteorological Experts, Weatherpersons, they, them . . . .

Yeah back then people had to leave the house to have something to do. No staying home to watch on a giant tv, paying $ for cable/satellite packages and relaxing in your living room, everyone online, pc's, phones etc. Life changed, and tech was a big part of that.
Entertainment culture has changed and I think COVID just accelerated some of those changes. The program is going to have to clear a higher bar in the near future if it wants to see attendance rebound to what it was just a few years ago. Seasons averaging 25k+ are most likely history unless Slick Rick trots out there with an all-orange jumpsuit.

Entertainment culture has changed and I think COVID just accelerated some of those changes. The program is going to have to clear a higher bar in the near future if it wants to see attendance rebound to what it was just a few years ago. Seasons averaging 25k+ are most likely history unless Slick Rick trots out there with an all-orange jumpsuit.
Agree with the first 2 sentences, as for Richard...meh

The other thing is as I get older - my tolerance for being around highly intoxicated tough guys gets less and less. I can deal with (and usually am ) mildly intoxicated but the loud mouths, etc...don't miss that.

Syracuse has always been a value oriented town. I owned a bar at the corner of Wolf and 7th North for almost a decade, and I can tell you. Syracusans will pay if the product is good. IMO: Big East basketball, in its golden era was as it gets. The rivalries were incredible. The coaches were all bigger than life. The intensity of every game was off the charts. The games just don't seem to have that value anymore.

There's one other thing. The program seems to have become stale. It really is time for Boeheim to go. Not because he can't coach anymore, but we need someone who can put some energy back into the program.

Our AD has no control over ACC tip off times or opponents.

Nor can he control the weather.

All true. Although, you conveniently left out perhaps probably the largest variable.

If one is being truly honest and completely transparent, one would clearly see that the home team's current place in the college hoops world, as well as even a weaker opponent (let alone a team that has never actually been a true player on the hardwoods) had just as much, if not more to do with it.

If SU was ranked last night, not to mention highly ranked in this conference game (something we haven't been at this time of year since 2014) do more fans turnout? Additionally, if our opponent carried any panache or was ranked themselves?

I think you (again being completely transparent) along with most folks being honest, would conclude absolutely, no questions asked.

Syracuse has always been a value oriented town. I owned a bar at the corner of Wolf and 7th North for almost a decade, and I can tell you. Syracusans will pay if the product is good. IMO: Big East basketball, in its golden era was as it gets. The rivalries were incredible. The coaches were all bigger than life. The intensity of every game was off the charts. The games just don't seem to have that value anymore.

There's one other thing. The program seems to have become stale. It really is time for Boeheim to go. Not because he can't coach anymore, but we need someone who can put some energy back into the program.
Wolf Inn?

It was small last night but anybody working today getting home around midnight isn’t worth it.
9pm games on the weekends okay.
9pm games Monday-Thursday no thanks.

It was empty last night.
Our fanbase is fine.
The people who were there were loud and encouraging. Of course, perhaps half of them were drunk, I don’t know. I felt that the people in the seats really REALLY were there to support the team. They were rewarded. It was fun!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom