It's almost time for the 2013 Iggy awards. | Syracusefan.com

It's almost time for the 2013 Iggy awards.

cliftonparksufan

Iggy Award Czar/Co 2020-21 Iggy Award Winner PPG
It's time for the Syracuse Basketball season. I know many of you, like myself, look forward to this time of year with great optimism. How will we do in our last season in the Big East. Can we get to the Final Four this year. How well will our Freshman do. Who is going to have a better season: Triche or MCW.

It's also time to start thinking about your predictions for the 2013 Iggy Award. We won't start taking predictions yet but will start a couple days before our first exhibition game which is on November 1st against the immortal Pace Setters. All predictions need to be locked and loaded before our first official game which is on Friday, November 9th at 7 pm vs San Diego State, which is three days earlier than last year.

There are six categories that you will need to make predictions on. I have included below the recap from last season, which explains all the rules and you can see who the most knowledgeable fans really are. Last year we had 110 people involved and 107 the year before. Hopefully a few more people get involved this year, as we know there are a few "illustrious" posters who have yet to put the ink to the paper.

Here is the recap from last spring. A lot of categories were close and some great predictions made, but none better than the 17-1 and 30-1 prediction from SybilCuse aka OrlandoCuse/SeattleCuse. Obviously his move cross country didn't affect his ability to see how great last years team was going to be during the regular season. I know thousands and possibly millions are waiting for Orlando to submit his ballot. Word has it that a few of the talking heads and some folks closely connected to the program are holding their breath. In fact, if I am not mistaken, Orlando has moved again and is now known as PunxatawnyCuse. Thanks to all of the entrants last year and here are last year's results.

All of the entries have been removed from the mayonnaise jar which was kept on the balcony of Iggy's condo in Florida. They have been tabulated and double checked by the audit committee and then verified by the old man himself (which BTW, I hope he is ok, since we haven't seen hide nor hair of him). Without any further ado, here are your official winners.

Overall we had 110 official entries. This was the most ever and made the competition very close. However we had a few very astute prognosticators and I'm kind of hoping some of their mojo rubs off for the next Mega Millions drawing.

REGULAR SEASON RECORD (30-1) AND BIG EAST RECORD (17-1)

Most entries woefully under predicted how they felt our Orangemen were going to do this past season. However, SeattleCuse (formerly known as OrlandoCuse, if I am right) correctly predicted both of these exactly. He was the only one of the 110 who was right, so the first two Iggy's goes to the man from the Northwest part of the country. Congrats as that is almost like winning both Best Actor and Best Actress. Almost impossible to do unless you are Dustin Hoffman playing Tootsie.

BIG EAST TOURNAMENT RECORD (1-1) AND NCAA TOURNAMENT RECORD (3-1)

This was a little bit closer. We had 16 predict the 1-1 and 29 predict the 3-1 and of those four of those who predicted both. Congrats to CoCuse, Jekelish, DJCon57 and Garbs for those nice predictions. However due to tiebreaking rules, we can only have one winner.

For the BET, the winner is OzCuse who predicted a team scoring average of 74.4 which was the most closest to the the actual of 74.1. So congrats to OzCuse for winning the next Iggy.

The NCAA Iggy was even closer. Both ConnectCuse and Tank19 had the correct prediction and both predicted 74.3 points, so we need to go to the next round of tiebreakers. This would be the Regular season record. ConnectCuse predicted 26-5 and Tank19 predicted 24-7, so the Iggy for the NCAA Tournament record goes to ConnectCuse. Congrats.

LEADING SCORER: KRIS JOSEPH 13.4.

No real surprise that KJ led the team in scoring. 82 people felt that way. However most people didn't anticipate the balanced scoring. Of all the predictions, DickinMichigan was the closest with a prediction of 13.1. Congrats to the long time of fan of Syracuse basketball for winning this Iggy.

LEADING REBOUNDER: FAB MELO 5.8

Again, no surprise on who the winner was. 67 people predicted Fab. However only one predicted the number right on the nose and their is no truth that he had anything to do with Fab missing the NCAA so he could ensure winning this category. So, congrats to realorange for winning the next Iggy.

TEAM SCORING AVERAGE: 74.1 PPG

This is an honorable mention Iggy, solely used for tiebreaking purposes. However the committee is considering adding this category officially for next year, as well as a couple others to be determined. The year we had four people tie for the this category. ConnectCuse, SUinHershey and Tank19 all predicted 74.3 and Pearl predicted 73.9. Good job by them. Also, as a point of reference, in 2010-2011 the team averaged 74.3 ppg so for all of the fans who predicted over 80 ppg, that has as much chance as happening as Cuse playing mtm or Iggy making an official prediction.

Congrats again to the winners of this year's Iggys: SeattleCuse taking home two and OzCuse, ConnectCuse, DickinMichigan, and Realorange for being the other winners.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom