Its in the Monthly Subscription $$$...may not be the TV Network | Syracusefan.com

Its in the Monthly Subscription $$$...may not be the TV Network

arbitragegls

All Conference
This is going to be somewhat long and tedious...Summarizing there is a lot going on in the media world of the ACC. Some of it begs the question why no TV network and why hasn't the ACC moved quicker to compete with BTN etc.
If you go back to my December 19th thread titled: Given Go-Ahead: ACC-ESPN are a Chanukah and Christmas wrapping part of the post stated:
"To program the digital platform, ESPN has begun striking content deals with ACC schools for some basketball and third-tier broadcast rights. To date, North Carolina, Clemson, Florida State, and Georgia Tech are on board, with a source at ESPN saying that more announcements are on the way.
The agreements offer an increased amount of content for fans and obvious recruiting advantages for the schools...think Tier 2 and Tier 3.
“We felt this gave us a great opportunity to broadcast some of our Olympic sports that wouldn’t otherwise be broadcast,” says Bubba Cunningham, athletics director at the University of North Carolina. “So we thought the investment that we could make and the investment that they were willing to make was very beneficial to the both of us.”
LINK: http://sportsvideo.org/main/blog/20...to-raise-streaming-quality-of-college-sports/
And as sample of where the ESPNU partnership with ACC has gone note the following links:
http://video.theacc.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/ACCDigitalNetwork
What does all this auger for the ACC--movement is progressing toward the ACC and ESPN to form a network that will provide ACC content to an ACC network One of the strategies and tactic is to develop and execute ESPN/ACC on the same tier as ESPNU (what's big here is that ACC contract is FULLYwith ESPN and an ESPNU/ACC network monetizes Tier 1 even higher --so ESPN is not going to let the FOX/B1G network or NBCSports or CBSSports dwarf its domain.

So from there, and I highly recommend the first link on sportsvideo above, we are potentially moving in the following direction with the reasons some of you already know;
  • Cable TV is expensive and there is a movement to have cable TV provided ala carte..that is you pay for what you really want not what the cable carrier gives you
Remember the above and move to BTN...is based on cable carriage and belief that it will get $.80 per cable household in its footprint and $.10 outside of footprint.
  • Unlike ACC which has a flat rate quarrantee for its TV contract with ESPN so it takes no risk, the BTN takes a risk but keeps 51% of dollars generated and 49% to Fox (for production and distribution). In effect it cut out ESPN completely. As an example if 20mm households in Maryland and New Jersey and 80% have cable with BTN is on it...that delivers 16mm hsholds at $.80/household per month x 12 or $153,600,000---that is what Rutgers and Maryland could deliver to the BTN and why they were the universities chosen...BTN gets 51% or $78,336,000 a year.
  • So why hasn't the ACC followed suit. Well its because of the first bullet point above...plus the fact that the ACC has not previously wanted the upfront financing of the Network nor the risk of not knowing what it may get paid.
  • So where has the ACC been placing its efforts and dollars...in digital. Now before you start to jump at the stupidity think of Hulu and Netflix. Think of Gillette and any other company that charges a monthly subscription for their product. Think of ESPN3 becoming very much an ACC channel...think of very first bullet point above...in fact, there is the likelihood of an ACC channel like ESPN3 that charges a monthly fee for everything ACC...streaming via internet to computers, to cell phones, to U-Tube...does not have a cable company as an expense...in fact the subscriptions can go directly to the ACC and to its universities.
  • Let's say the monthly subscription fee is $7.95 for a high quality like TV broadcast. The ACC would need only 1/10 BTN viewers to make as much money...and if ACC produced some content on own without ESPN it keeps all the dollars without sharing with anyone.....
The point being is that the ACC and ESPN are working on this business model. As Forbes recently indicated, the ACC is the third ranked valued conference today (see thread posted by Bees today) without the above. So the ACC will still have TV games etc...but a BTN like network is NOT THE only way to go...think about it.

A_Cartoon_Man_with_His_Head_Spinning_Royalty_Free_Clipart_Picture_100509-137647-604053.jpg

Thanks, now I have a headache.
Okay...bottom line...digital with a streaming of TV network quality with ESPN helping and charging a subscription fee per month...so delivery is via an ESPN3 channel, smart phone apps, u-tube etc may generate similar dollars to a network like BTN without the fear of ala carte selection coming to cable TV...ACC is in very good shape indeed.

Thanks for the info, it is greatly appreciated. But am I the only one that has a hard time reading Arby's posts here? The dashes and dots combined with the stream of consciousness narrative makes me wonder if you are the love child of Emily Dickenson and William S Burroughs.

Good to hear the basic plan. Sounds like the ACC will not play "catch-up" with the BTN but rather, will skip a couple steps and lead the pack. Internet streaming is getting better and if ESPN is springing for the equipment and training schools how to do the work (from a Matt Sarz thread on an ACC site), sounds good!

Thanks, Arb!

This is going to be somewhat long and tedious...Summarizing there is a lot going on in the media world of the ACC. Some of it begs the question why no TV network and why hasn't the ACC moved quicker to compete with BTN etc.
If you go back to my December 19th thread titled: Given Go-Ahead: ACC-ESPN are a Chanukah and Christmas wrapping part of the post stated:
"To program the digital platform, ESPN has begun striking content deals with ACC schools for some basketball and third-tier broadcast rights. To date, North Carolina, Clemson, Florida State, and Georgia Tech are on board, with a source at ESPN saying that more announcements are on the way.
The agreements offer an increased amount of content for fans and obvious recruiting advantages for the schools...think Tier 2 and Tier 3.
“We felt this gave us a great opportunity to broadcast some of our Olympic sports that wouldn’t otherwise be broadcast,” says Bubba Cunningham, athletics director at the University of North Carolina. “So we thought the investment that we could make and the investment that they were willing to make was very beneficial to the both of us.”
LINK: http://sportsvideo.org/main/blog/20...to-raise-streaming-quality-of-college-sports/
And as sample of where the ESPNU partnership with ACC has gone note the following links:
http://video.theacc.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/ACCDigitalNetwork
What does all this auger for the ACC--movement is progressing toward the ACC and ESPN to form a network that will provide ACC content to an ACC network One of the strategies and tactic is to develop and execute ESPN/ACC on the same tier as ESPNU (what's big here is that ACC contract is FULLYwith ESPN and an ESPNU/ACC network monetizes Tier 1 even higher --so ESPN is not going to let the FOX/B1G network or NBCSports or CBSSports dwarf its domain.

So from there, and I highly recommend the first link on sportsvideo above, we are potentially moving in the following direction with the reasons some of you already know;
  • Cable TV is expensive and there is a movement to have cable TV provided ala carte..that is you pay for what you really want not what the cable carrier gives you
Remember the above and move to BTN...is based on cable carriage and belief that it will get $.80 per cable household in its footprint and $.10 outside of footprint.

• Unlike ACC which has a flat rate quarrantee for its TV contract with ESPN so it takes no risk, the BTN takes a risk but keeps 51% of dollars generated and 49% to Fox (for production and distribution). In effect it cut out ESPN completely. As an example if 20mm households in Maryland and New Jersey and 80% have cable with BTN is on it...that delivers 16mm hsholds at $.80/household per month x 12 or $153,600,000---that is what Rutgers and Maryland could deliver to the BTN and why they were the universities chosen...BTN gets 51% or $78,336,000 a year.
  • So why hasn't the ACC followed suit. Well its because of the first bullet point above...plus the fact that the ACC has not previously wanted the upfront financing of the Network nor the risk of not knowing what it may get paid.
  • So where has the ACC been placing its efforts and dollars...in digital. Now before you start to jump at the stupidity think of Hulu and Netflix. Think of Gillette and any other company that charges a monthly subscription for their product. Think of ESPN3 becoming very much an ACC channel...think of very first bullet point above...in fact, there is the likelihood of an ACC channel like ESPN3 that charges a monthly fee for everything ACC...streaming via internet to computers, to cell phones, to U-Tube...does not have a cable company as an expense...in fact the subscriptions can go directly to the ACC and to its universities.
  • Let's say the monthly subscription fee is $7.95 for a high quality like TV broadcast. The ACC would need only 1/10 BTN viewers to make as much money...and if ACC produced some content on own without ESPN it keeps all the dollars without sharing with anyone.....
The point being is that the ACC and ESPN are working on this business model. As Forbes recently indicated, the ACC is the third ranked valued conference today (see thread posted by Bees today) without the above. So the ACC will still have TV games etc...but a BTN like network is NOT THE only way to go...think about it.

I get the ACC digital network on my blu-ray player. They only have game highlights and some short studio pieces. Everytime you turn on the box, I guess it updates the clips. Could easily expand that and charge a monthly subscription like mlb.tv. Weird thing is that ESPN3 used to be available to streaming media players but not any more.

Okay...bottom line...digital with a streaming of TV network quality with ESPN helping and charging a subscription fee per month...so delivery is via an ESPN3 channel, smart phone apps, u-tube etc may generate similar dollars to a network like BTN without the fear of ala carte selection coming to cable TV...ACC is in very good shape indeed.

So you can hook up your computer to your TV and it's all good - right?

so basically, as I already assumed - UMD are a bunch of idiotic clowns, who through their own incompetence banished themselves to Big10 land for a very short-term band aid and cost me an annual fun roadtrip to see SU in DC

Oh Lord

I was talking earlier with my dad about this idea. How the ACC could very easily make ESPN3/WatchESPN app the "ACC Network". It makes total sense as streaming video is becoming so mainstream now. This could end up being a very profitable move for the ACC.

Since ACC will keep all(?) the funds for what they create on their own, You could easily give Microsoft (Xbox) and Sony (Playstation) 10-25% of your incoming fees for them to stream it on their platforms which are used by millllllllions of people for streaming products.

I was talking earlier with my dad about this idea. How the ACC could very easily make ESPN3/WatchESPN app the "ACC Network". It makes total sense as streaming video is becoming so mainstream now. This could end up being a very profitable move for the ACC.

Since ACC will keep all(?) the funds for what they create on their own, You could easily give Microsoft (Xbox) and Sony (Playstation) 10-25% of your incoming fees for them to stream it on their platforms which are used by millllllllions of people for streaming products.
Like that idea...

Am I the only one that thinks ESPN3 sux? Dont get me wrong, I use Netflix and Amazon streaming, so yes, if you can get me an ACC APP, that produces 1080p streaming quality to my 70" HDTV, then I am happy.

but paying $8 to watch from a laptop, or lapto connected to my tv via an hdmi cable? No thanks.

So in summary,

ACC APP via Hulu, Roku, PS3, xbox, multiple DVD/TV;s = Good

ACC via web browser = BAD

My concern is that I hope the ACC doesn't go 'all in' with the digital subscriber model before the cable tv bundle system goes into effect. Seems to me that it would hurt exposure to impartial viewers / potential customers.

Sure, you could make a fortune by charging people who are already fans of ACC schools for streaming. But limiting viewership to subscribers wouldn't help to attract kids who are just beginning to develop an interest in college sports who could just turn the channel to BTN or something. Which would not only hurt earning potential with regard to viewership, but also recruiting.

Or would streaming subscriptions be on top of having games broadcast nationally on ESPN?

Am I the only one that thinks ESPN3 sux? Dont get me wrong, I use Netflix and Amazon streaming, so yes, if you can get me an ACC APP, that produces 1080p streaming quality to my 70" HDTV, then I am happy.

but paying $8 to watch from a laptop, or lapto connected to my tv via an hdmi cable? No thanks.

So in summary,

ACC APP via Hulu, Roku, PS3, xbox, multiple DVD/TV;s = Good

ACC via web browser = BAD

ACC Digital Network was loaded as an APP on my SONY BlueRay DVD Player. I just bought one about 10 days ago. I bought NetFlix too for $7.99 a month...better than RedBox. Also, a techie guy at worker told me to log into NetFlix and change your bandwidth requirements to max to get HD like picture quality. Default setting is closer to 480i.

BTW, I watch the ACC Network briefly on my SONY BlueRay and the video quality was excellent...even streaming wireless.

Only thing that concerns me is the fact that the Big Ten network is forcing people to buy their product who don't even want it! Would the casual fan pay for an ACC subscription? I'm not buying that just yet unless it was bundled with espn3 if it were to go pay. Btw, I think espn3 is pretty awesome, I have it on my Xbox and its like watching it on cable, plus I can watch every game espn has carried on replay.

Thanks Arb great info as always. Just like many of you this model works for me. I am always connected on my phone, watching Hulu or netflix. Cable is on the DVR and watched without commercials when I want. My concern is my dad and older relatives. This is easy for those of us that use technology at work or have grown up with it but I know some die hard SU fans who watch any an all big east games they can on TV but will be sort of left behind in this model. I am not trying to be the old man on the porch but instead take a minute and ask what about him. I get it this is the future and would like to see us ahead of the curve but let's not leave those cranky old men behind if we can.

ACC Digital Network was loaded as an APP on my SONY BlueRay DVD Player. I just bought one about 10 days ago. I bought NetFlix too for $7.99 a month...better than RedBox. Also, a techie guy at worker told me to log into NetFlix and change your bandwidth requirements to max to get HD like picture quality. Default setting is closer to 480i.

BTW, I watch the ACC Network briefly on my SONY BlueRay and the video quality was excellent...even streaming wireless.

That would be good, a dedicated app with good streaming is good. Browser vid is bad.

Thanks Arb... If you already answered this my apologies, but how does the SEC Network impact any or all of this when it launches in 2014?

Get off my lawn kid.

Thanks Arb great info as always. Just like many of you this model works for me. I am always connected on my phone, watching Hulu or netflix. Cable is on the DVR and watched without commercials when I want. My concern is my dad and older relatives. This is easy for those of us that use technology at work or have grown up with it but I know some die hard SU fans who watch any an all big east games they can on TV but will be sort of left behind in this model. I am not trying to be the old man on the porch but instead take a minute and ask what about him. I get it this is the future and would like to see us ahead of the curve but let's not leave those cranky old men behind if we can.

My concern is my dad and older relatives. This is easy for those of us that use technology at work or have grown up with it but I know some die hard SU fans who watch any an all big east games they can on TV but will be sort of left behind in this model. I am not trying to be the old man on the porch but instead take a minute and ask what about him. I get it this is the future and would like to see us ahead of the curve but let's not leave those cranky old men behind if we can.

I don't think we will. The play-stations, rokus, blu-ray player apps are most likely a stop gap. Connected Smart TVs will be saturating the market with double digit growth. Selecting the ACC app on the smart television will be as easier than switching a standard TV between present day options like cable and the vcr/dvd/blue-ray player.

Internet-connected TV will reach 30% of US homes by yr-end

Friday 4 January 2013 | 22:24 CET | News
Nearly a quarter of all US households currently have and use internet-connected TV, and by the end of 2013, the figure will approach 30 percent, according to eMarketer. Usage of connected TVs in US households was up by nearly 25 percent last year, eMarketer estimates, and it will continue to be taken up at double-digit rates through at least 2016. By the end of this year, eMarketer expects 35.1 million US households to have at least one television connected to the internet and at least one person in the household using the internet through the TV set on a monthly basis.

In terms of individual users, penetration was 17.4 percent of consumers used connected TV at least monthly as of the end of 2012, and 22.7 percent will do so by the end of this year. EMarketer expects the number of households that have and use smart TVs to reach 40.2 million by 2016, up from 15.2 million last year. Again, individual penetration rates are lower, at 9.2 percent of the population as of the end of 2012.

I don't think we will. The play-stations, rokus, blu-ray player apps are most likely a stop gap. Connected Smart TVs will be saturating the market with double digit growth. Selecting the ACC app on the smart television will be as easier than switching a standard TV between present day options like cable and the vcr/dvd/blue-ray player.

Internet-connected TV will reach 30% of US homes by yr-end

Friday 4 January 2013 | 22:24 CET | News
Nearly a quarter of all US households currently have and use internet-connected TV, and by the end of 2013, the figure will approach 30 percent, according to eMarketer. Usage of connected TVs in US households was up by nearly 25 percent last year, eMarketer estimates, and it will continue to be taken up at double-digit rates through at least 2016. By the end of this year, eMarketer expects 35.1 million US households to have at least one television connected to the internet and at least one person in the household using the internet through the TV set on a monthly basis.

In terms of individual users, penetration was 17.4 percent of consumers used connected TV at least monthly as of the end of 2012, and 22.7 percent will do so by the end of this year. EMarketer expects the number of households that have and use smart TVs to reach 40.2 million by 2016, up from 15.2 million last year. Again, individual penetration rates are lower, at 9.2 percent of the population as of the end of 2012.
Thanks for the well reasoned response. I am excited about all these potential opportunities.

There are two simple truths here:

1. The BTN is a scam and it won't last.
2. Conference networks are wonderful local programming. Especially when they are low cost productions where you can charge tuition for the opportunity to operate a camera or be an announcer. Hell, I'd even watch on occasion. Volleyball, especially.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom