It's not often I get to say... | Syracusefan.com

It's not often I get to say...

Scooch

Living Legend
...I told you so, but I told you so.

No, this has nothing to do with SU, it has to do with UMass. I know, UMass?! Yes, UMass.

Somehow I missed the news from last spring/summer that UMass was leaving the MAC for football. Apparently they were only offered a 2-year football-only membership and then had to decide whether to go all-in with that conference, or have their football program leave it. They couldn't pull their hoops team out of the A-10, so they left.

I just became aware of this because I saw an item at lunch that they've turned to a media pro to help them build an independent schedule for 2016 since they have no AD at the moment.

Anyway, I recall when UMass announced that they were upgrading to FBS that I thought it was idiotic. Point, Scooch.

Although, this seems like a golden opportunity for UConn to lobby hard for the American to invite UMass to join. Sets up a wonderful New England rivalry across sports, right at the level both schools are appropriate for. ;)

Saw a rumor that UMass might be looking at former BC AD DiFilippo to take over. You might remember him from such decisions as firing Al Skinner, firing Jagodinzki and hiring Spaziani.

Of course if UMass waits a couple of months, they could become New England's College Team...

No, this has nothing to do with SU, it has to do with UMass. I know, UMass?! Yes, UMass.

Somehow I missed the news from last spring/summer that UMass was leaving the MAC for football. Apparently they were only offered a 2-year football-only membership and then had to decide whether to go all-in with that conference, or have their football program leave it. They couldn't pull their hoops team out of the A-10, so they left.

I just became aware of this because I saw an item at lunch that they've turned to a media pro to help them build an independent schedule for 2016 since they have no AD at the moment.

Anyway, I recall when UMass announced that they were upgrading to FBS that I thought it was idiotic. Point, Scooch.

Although, this seems like a golden opportunity for UConn to lobby hard for the American to invite UMass to join. Sets up a wonderful New England rivalry across sports, right at the level both schools are appropriate for. ;)
Another option for UConn is to drop football and re-join the Big East for all sports. That would be a better option for all their sports except football.

It is a vexing problem for the Huskies. How willing will they be to slowly destroy their sports programs other than football to try and keep football viable in the event a P5 invitation is made someday? How long do you hold out? How much do your other sports have to be affected before the waiting process becomes unacceptable?

I would think nothing is going to happen until the P5 GORs run out around 2026. If they all just get renewed, does that serve as the straw that breaks UConn football?

Despite the hate from the Boneyard, I feel genuinely sorry for UConn fans. It is an awful fate to have to face.

Or. UConn and UMass could just merge their football programs. ;)

I know people through work that are diehard uconn football fans, it is disappointing. Could you imagine?

Another option for UConn is to drop football and re-join the Big East for all sports. That would be a better option for all their sports except football.

It is a vexing problem for the Huskies. How willing will they be to slowly destroy their sports programs other than football to try and keep football viable in the event a P5 invitation is made someday? How long do you hold out? How much do your other sports have to be affected before the waiting process becomes unacceptable?

I would think nothing is going to happen until the P5 GORs run out around 2026. If they all just get renewed, does that serve as the straw that breaks UConn football?

Despite the hate from the Boneyard, I feel genuinely sorry for UConn fans. It is an awful fate to have to face.
they have no choice but to develop the football side which will end up in the acc.they do not have the research credentials as rutgers did for the big 10 nor the potential following to merit the big 10. the only reason su in the acc is basketball and MAYBE--football tradition and POSSIBLE resurgence. many moons ago i predicted before it was popular, rutgers to big 10 and i say now uconn will be in the acc. at the rate college sports are changing, i doubt 2026 is even close --more like 2016-17

sutomcat said:
Another option for UConn is to drop football and re-join the Big East for all sports. That would be a better option for all their sports except football. It is a vexing problem for the Huskies. How willing will they be to slowly destroy their sports programs other than football to try and keep football viable in the event a P5 invitation is made someday? How long do you hold out? How much do your other sports have to be affected before the waiting process becomes unacceptable? I would think nothing is going to happen until the P5 GORs run out around 2026. If they all just get renewed, does that serve as the straw that breaks UConn football? Despite the hate from the Boneyard, I feel genuinely sorry for UConn fans. It is an awful fate to have to face.

As a CT resident and intense UConn hater, I agree. Despite making massive investments in athletics and fielding high caliber teams across the board, they got screwed in the conference realignment musical chairs. Meanwhile a chucklehead like Rutgers gets a golden ticket thanks to geography.

I think they should seriously consider dropping football to independence and rejoining the Big East for hoops and everything else. I don't think that'll make any difference in them getting into a P5 conference in a decade. No ones adding them for football anyway.

As a CT resident and intense UConn hater, I agree. Despite making massive investments in athletics and fielding high caliber teams across the board, they got screwed in the conference realignment musical chairs. Meanwhile a chucklehead like Rutgers gets a golden ticket thanks to geography.

I think they should seriously consider dropping football to independence and rejoining the Big East for hoops and everything else. I don't think that'll make any difference in them getting into a P5 conference in a decade. No ones adding them for football anyway.
th

UConn should lobby to get UMass into the AAK. The problem is, they feel the same way about UMass that BC feels about them.

UConn fans celebrated our struggles. Instead, they should have been terrified by them. It's not easy to just spin up a Div 1A and be taken seriously by all the people that need to take you seriously. Especially given how quickly this sport likes to re-org itself. I don't feel bad for them. They should have known better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom